Why do they do that to bettas?!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by FishLover, Nov 12, 2012.

  1. FishLover

    FishLover

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2012
    Messages:
    881
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    I walked into a pet store the other day and I was so angry!!! They were keeping male bettas in PACKETS!!!! All of them floating together in one tank so they could see eachother! I asked the shop assistant why they did this and she said they are fine and that they put oxygen in there every day... bettas are fish too, they need a tank. There is this common perception that because they can barely survive in small spaces they are happy there. I have never kept a betta in anything less than a 5 gallon. Inexperienced people walk into a pet store and buy one betta, a TINY tank and some food and they are told this is fine, then their bettas die! I just makes me sick as to how badly they are treated!!! :cry::cry:
     
  2. Guest




  3. eros111

    eros111

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2012
    Messages:
    1,012
    Likes Received:
    166
    Location:
    Midrand, Johannesburg
    I know EXACTLY how you feel. SO MANY fish shops have them in little see-thru plastic bottles - some even standing ON A SHELF NOGAL with massive bright hot lights above them !!!! - some where the water is even cloudy in the bottle. You can just see that the poor fish is so unhappy - just 'hanging' in the water. It is a disgrace to keep them like this. Surely little baskets suspended in a large tank where the water is circulating and aerated would be better would it not
    [​IMG]:cry:
     
  4. oupoot

    oupoot

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2012
    Messages:
    1,119
    Likes Received:
    341
    Location:
    Randburg
    have also seen it at a certian lfs in boksburg/benoni area aswell, and the shop assistans know nothing about fish, they just care about making money at the end of the day....
     
  5. johanbosman

    johanbosman

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2011
    Messages:
    160
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Kilnerpark,Pretoria
    I feel all your pain.It's scary to see how many shop assitants dont have a clue what is going on in the aquarium world.Everytime I walk into a lfs and I see the bettas I just want to buy them to give them a nice big aquarium and the correct food .....ect but it is unfortunately not possible.So sad.
     
  6. OP
    FishLover

    FishLover

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2012
    Messages:
    881
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    Pet stores just want to make money, the people there know almost nothing about fish!!! They tell you what you want to hear and you ignorantly buy the fish on their advice, and they make money!!! IT is insane!!!!
     
  7. 10i

    10i catfish-a-holic

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2010
    Messages:
    329
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    East London
    when people see they cannot sell fish that way (without caring) they will have to change or go out of business.

    until that happens there will be shops try to get away with murder.
     
  8. jpvd007

    jpvd007 Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2011
    Messages:
    1,040
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Dunsborough, Westen Australia
    Well then I will strongly suggest you guys don't go travel in the east. When I was in Thailand I poped in to a pet store in a back street on the island of ko samoi were I kid you not they had about 400 Betta males all stacked in a pyramid to the roof in little cups, so I asked the shop keeper how they did water changes and she threw me out the shop.
     
  9. Wickets

    Wickets Scalare

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2012
    Messages:
    238
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Primrose East
    I wonder who is the guilty party here? The guy who keeps and sells them in small containers, or the uneducated customer who does no research before buying a live animal, and thus creates the market?
     
  10. OP
    FishLover

    FishLover

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2012
    Messages:
    881
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    @Wickets , I think the pet stores are largely to blame but the customers should also be held responsible. If u are going to get a pet then you should do a bit of research!! @jpvd007 that sounds AWFUL!!!
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - bettas Forum Date
Bettas in Port Elizabeth Beginner Discussions Jan 20, 2025
Incredible Show Quality Bettas Jungle Aquatics May 16, 2023
OVER 100 Fancy Bettas Available Jungle Aquatics Jun 30, 2022
Wanted: Looking for Koi Plakat Bettas and Amano Shrimp in Cape Town area Wanted/Swop/Freebies Dec 16, 2021
Premium Bettas in house Viking Aquatics SA May 22, 2021
Wanted: Female Bettas KZN Wanted/Swop/Freebies Feb 19, 2021
Female Bettas - Dropsy Beginner Discussions Feb 7, 2021

Share This Page