Why are my betta fry dying?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rooivlerkie, Aug 31, 2013.

  1. Rooivlerkie

    Rooivlerkie

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Messages:
    1,206
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Westen Cape
    So about two weekd ago me bettas spawn and produce about 30 eggs. The fry hatch and all went oaky until they were freeswimming. Then they started to die. I found about 4-5 dead ones a day! I feed microworms and bbs. Is this bad water quality or bad genes? (if there exist such a thing?) I bred this male before with another female and they also had 30 fry who started to die. Only three survive and one have a little problems swimming. Genes perhaps?
    Thanks
     
  2. Guest




  3. Wyvren

    Wyvren Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2011
    Messages:
    2,549
    Likes Received:
    21
    @Rooivlerkie, the weather we have been having would have caused some temp fluctuations in your tank. it could be that, I am not really qualified to answer this question. Maybe @HennieRoux can help
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  4. lep2soma

    lep2soma

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2011
    Messages:
    749
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    jhb
    Hi, is your tank closed on top, or open?
     
  5. OP
    Rooivlerkie

    Rooivlerkie

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Messages:
    1,206
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Westen Cape
    Yes the tank`s top is covered. The reason why i think it may be genetics is, because there where other posts in which members said some of their fry have swimming problems, don`t grow fast etc...
     
  6. lep2soma

    lep2soma

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2011
    Messages:
    749
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    jhb
    If the top is covered, no draughts, them yes, maybe bad genes.
     
  7. HennieRoux

    HennieRoux

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2011
    Messages:
    2,431
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    JHB, Roodepoort
    Difficult to say, to ways to check, breed them again or swop either male or female. Remember that the salt in bbs will couse swim bladder problems if you over feed, so if they didnt have the problem when they where born then chances are the bbs is causing it.
     
  8. OP
    Rooivlerkie

    Rooivlerkie

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Messages:
    1,206
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Westen Cape
    I don`t think I had overfed. The reason why I think it may be bad genes I bred this male before and then only 3 fry survived. I`ll try and breed this female with another white male and then let you know. So far I have only 5 fry that survived.
     
  9. OP
    Rooivlerkie

    Rooivlerkie

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Messages:
    1,206
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Westen Cape
    could this also be the cause of an old male???
     
  10. HennieRoux

    HennieRoux

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2011
    Messages:
    2,431
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    JHB, Roodepoort
    I doubt age will effect the genes
     
  11. OP
    Rooivlerkie

    Rooivlerkie

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Messages:
    1,206
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Westen Cape
    Well wheter its bad genes or not I have 4 fry left. I hope these surivive. They are still small but I can see a blueish sheen on them. Feed them BBS (And they eat it!) and microworms. Anything else I can do to make them grow fast?
    Thanks
     
  12. HennieRoux

    HennieRoux

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2011
    Messages:
    2,431
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    JHB, Roodepoort
    Water changes good filtration
     
  13. OP
    Rooivlerkie

    Rooivlerkie

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Messages:
    1,206
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Westen Cape
    thanks
     
  14. OP
    Rooivlerkie

    Rooivlerkie

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Messages:
    1,206
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Westen Cape
    some people say they feed their betta fry egg yolk. Does that work?
     
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  15. Titan

    Titan

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2012
    Messages:
    81
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Durban
    You can feed them egg yolk but this will contribute to the waste levels in your tank raising the ammonia and nitrate levels in your tank if uneaten food is left in the tank for to long. Stick to the bbs and micro worms and water changes lots and lots of water changes, the water quality is the most important thing
     
  16. bees

    bees

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2010
    Messages:
    175
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Alberton, Johannesburg
    Definitely water changes is the most important.
    Remember, when you feed these little guys, most of the food falls to the bottom of the tank.
    Becuase you can't use any filteration yet, they become toxic really quick.
    The only way to remove bulk of the decaying food, is with water changes.
     
  17. DoubleDutch

    DoubleDutch Corydorasfan(atic)

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2013
    Messages:
    3,276
    Likes Received:
    2,321
    Location:
    Hoorn (Holland / The Netherlands)
    Read sometime ago that for gourami-fry aso it's important to use an airstone. Otherwise they couldn't "break" the watersurface and they'd drown.
     
  18. Titan

    Titan

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2012
    Messages:
    81
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Durban
    That is why a sponge filter is a requirement in all breeding tanks which is also fry safe, will increase oxygen levels in the water and decrease the amount of film that build up on the water surface. Though most labyrinth fish fry only start taking in oxygen from the surface of the water at around 2 weeks to a month old when the labyrinth is fully formed if im correct (can't remember exactly when):notrust:
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - betta dying Forum Date
Dying Bettas Beginner Discussions Jun 29, 2013
Batch of betta fry suddenly start dying General Discussions Mar 15, 2012
Dying betta General Discussions Dec 23, 2011
Dying betta General Discussions Dec 23, 2011
Your Betta Fish Has Seen Things. It's Time to Do Better Jungle Aquatics May 3, 2026
Wanted: Platinum Halfmoon Betta Wanted/Swop/Freebies Feb 25, 2025
Bettas in Port Elizabeth Beginner Discussions Jan 20, 2025

Share This Page