Who is breeding what fish?

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Skye01, Mar 19, 2012.

  1. Skye01

    Skye01

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Rynfield, Benoni. GP
    Hi All,

    Besides the obvious few, I would like to know which member is breeding what and if they are offering offspring for sale.

    I am mainly interested in the dwarfs, but I know that there are some people that are looking for other species that are not always sold at the lfs. I would much rather support the TASA members or Sponsors before I go searching around at other lfs's for what I'm looking for.

    I'm busy setting up for breeding some Bettas, Kribs, Apistos, Rams, Dwarf Flags, Endlers and Guppys. I've also had success in breeding my Panda Cory's and Lampeyes.

    I know that Charles breeds amazing Bettas, as does Hennie Roux, but who else breeds what?

    Looking forward to getting replies to this thread.
     
  2. Guest




  3. wsteene

    wsteene

    Joined:
    May 11, 2011
    Messages:
    727
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    Hi @Skye01, i know about @Rooivlerkie and @Charles doing betta's and @PappaBear doing some cichlids and the of course Prof aka @Dirk Bellestadt breeding and there is another member living in Brits doing some rams. HTH
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  4. OP
    Skye01

    Skye01

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Rynfield, Benoni. GP
    Thanks @wsteene, but I really would like to know who is breeding what...?

    Ok so for Bettas we have @Charles, @Hennie Roux, @Rooivlerkie & @solex69. Any other species that you are breeding guys?

    Which Cichlids are you breeding @PappaBear?

    I know that @Dirk Bellstedt breeds Discus, Rams & Apisto Agassizii, but what else do you breed Prof?

    @Lizid is trying to breed Triple Red Cockatoos.

    @oscar freak is trying to breed the Sunburst Cockatoos.

    @firemanmuzz is breeding the Steel Blue Apistos and Blue Tefe Agassiziis.

    Who else....? Come on everyone please participate so that we can see who has what available....
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. Willem

    Willem High fin Pangasius

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    755
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    Pretoria
    I am going to try and breed the few Garra Rufa I have
     
  6. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    Breeding is such a forcible concept ... I have a self sustaining population of guppies, convicts, kribs, corry cats, danios.

    Had unplanned success with betas, neons and platties in the past, not that I am implying the first list is planned.
     
  7. PappaBear

    PappaBear

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2011
    Messages:
    487
    Likes Received:
    162
    Location:
    Moorreesburg
    @Skey01: Wsteene is flattering me by mentioning me! I'm only starting up again after a absence of about 3 years from the hobby. All fish I keep is to breed, which is currently apisto's and angels. Will be getting kribs and rams soon (both german and bolivian). At this stage I'm interested in most soft water south american and west african cichlids. Will keep you posted when I start breeding actually. Only had "mock spawns" from the apisto's yet, the angels are still young.....
     
  8. Charles

    Charles

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2011
    Messages:
    1,000
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Pretoria, Thaba Tshwane, 0187
    Hi, like everybody knows by now, I breed only Betta's, thinking about breeding Apisto Gramma's later but that will only be for my self...
     
  9. Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  10. Gerrit

    Gerrit

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2010
    Messages:
    288
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Brits, North West
    Like wsteene mentioned i am the member from brits breeding German blue rams, some corry species and angels
     
  11. Dirk

    Dirk Dwarf Catfish

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2009
    Messages:
    2,514
    Likes Received:
    81
    Location:
    Somerset West
    I breed the following species, not always on a regular basis:

    Wild type angels, black angels, discus (Alencer Reds and snakeskin blue diamonds), kribs ( I select for fins with black dots), A aggasizzi red gold, Dicrossus filamentosus, Endler guppies, many fancy guppies, dwarf rainbows, threadfins, blue-eyes (Pseudomugil gertrudae) and Aphysemion poliaki "Ekona" (which I collected myself on the slopes of Mount Cameroon in 2003).

    Kind regards,

    Dirk
     
  12. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    tell us more a bout the black dot thing please ... is more better? I always thought it had to do with age of the fish ..
     
  13. Irma

    Irma Guppymad

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2009
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Midrand, Jhb
    I am breeding 2 strains of the ATFG guppies - The Superior Full Reds and the Superior Blue Grass. I have youngsters and fry from both but first building up my stock before selling any.
    I am also hopefully getting 2 pairs of Apistogramma Panduro which I am going to try and breed - no quarantees :)
     
  14. Dirk

    Dirk Dwarf Catfish

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2009
    Messages:
    2,514
    Likes Received:
    81
    Location:
    Somerset West
    Hi Ferdie,No the black dot thing on P pulcher, (or "kribensis" or 'kribs" as we incorrectly call them) is definitely not got something to do with age, but rather with breeding and strains. Most kribs in the shops look pale and uninteresting as far as I am concerned and they could look a lot better with a bit of selection.Let me explain: About 10 years ago, I got some wild-caught kribs from Nick James in Grahamstown, healthy no nonsense fishes that gave huge spawns, I mean 200 babies on average. The females were a beautiful yellow colour with quite a few dots in the tail fine, the males had no dots in the tail fin. Well I think the dots are particularly attractive in contrast to the other colours on kribs. Their close relative P taeniatus has more of these dots and I show a pic below of the P taeniatus "Moliwe" strain, I would love to have that strain, I once got some, but could not maintain them, they are a bit more fussy than the kribs are and mine did not survive the transport and all of them died within a week. So, I decided that I would carry on with the kribs instead. In a tank in Scotland, I saw kribs that had lots of dots in the tail fin even in the males and I thought these looked spectacular and similar to the P taeniatus. I crossed my fishes with some kribs from Andre Costerus that had more dots and then selected for dots. My females now have half the tail fin covered in fine dots and they are bright yellow. My males are now at the stage where those with the most dots have three dots and either have a blue or yellow bottom half of the tail. I will take some pics for you soon. I breed them in my 1.8 lounge tank. I keep about 10 from a number of spawns and then they multiply like all hell until there are about 250 in the tank. Then I catch out all that I do not want and sell them and then watch what goes on in the next generation. So far the dots are getting more, I hope that in the next generation I will have four dot males and I particularly want finer dots so this is an ongoing project. And kribs are such fun really, they are so easy to keep and have a lot of character. Below I show a pic of the P taeniatus "Moliwe" strain so that you can see what I mean by the colour and dots of those fishes, then a pic off the internet of a male with more dots and of my original fishes with about 200 young, their colours have moved on quite a bit, I will post more pics soon.Kind regards,DirkPtaeniatusMoliwe.jpg1268682607-kribensis-5589.jpgMale with more dots from the internetDSCN5484.jpgOne of my original males (poor pic) illustrating numbers of babies!

    PtaeniatusMoliwe.jpg

    1268682607-kribensis-5589.jpg

    DSCN5484.jpg
     
  15. Herve

    Herve

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2010
    Messages:
    98
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Despatch
    Hi Dirk,very nice kribs.Have you bred the Dicrossus filamentosus?
    At the moment I am breeding or trying to breed these fish.
    Alencer red & parrasite free snake skin Discus
    Endler guppys
    Emperor tetras (Nematobrycon palmeri)
    Cyphotilapia frontosas (7 stripe Kigoma F1)
    Blue rams (Danzinger Israel)
    Aphyosemion herzogi
    Diapteron fulgens
    Diapteron georgia
    Diapteron cyanostictum
    Regards
    Herve'
     
  16. Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    My Kribs are breeding of their own accord. @Skye01, I think we may have got our Kribs a t the same place (from Juan)?
    My female Kribs have big black dots that form a fan shape on the dorsal fin. They are quite striking. The males are dotless :)
    This morning I noticed some baby fishies in my natural pool - so it seems I'm also breeding goldies.
    The Angels are spawning, but they don's seem to know what to do with the eggs other than eat them. Not a train smash because I'm not sure what I'd do with a million Angels - LOL
    That's all for now...
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  17. firemanmuzz

    firemanmuzz

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2011
    Messages:
    276
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Durban,Kzn
    Dicrossus filamentosus i would like some of those in the future !
     
  18. OP
    Skye01

    Skye01

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Rynfield, Benoni. GP
    @Jenn, how long ago did you get your kribs from Juan? I only purchased a male from him, but that was earlier last year. This pair of mine then bred and I sold some of the young off to Juan, so you might actually have some of my youngsters. @Vez bought a pair off me as well as @byronb. I'll post pics of my pair, but they are not the best quality.P9010352.jpgPC030288.jpg

    P9010352.jpg

    PC030288.jpg
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  19. Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    @Skye01 Mine were wild caught from Nigeria. I got them May last year.

    Here they are:
    Mom_01.jpg Dad1_01.jpg

    Mom_01.jpg

    Dad1_01.jpg
     
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  20. wrenchy

    wrenchy

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2012
    Messages:
    448
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth
    @Dirk Bellstedt I would love to see your setup one day, it sounds sooo impressive.
     
  21. OP
    Skye01

    Skye01

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Rynfield, Benoni. GP
    @Jenn, they really are stunning. I think my male came from the same batch, I remember Juan mentioning them coming from Nigeria. So does that mean that we might be 'related'? :blink1: Hehehe...
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - breeding fish Forum Date
Breeding Fish Beginner Discussions May 23, 2023
Breeding Angelfish in community tank General Discussions Jan 19, 2023
Looking for a new breeding fish General Discussions Feb 12, 2022
Breeding pencilfish Breeding Apr 7, 2020
Fish stress and breeding Breeding Mar 27, 2020
Breeding mosquito fish with a show guppy? Breeding May 4, 2019
Platy fish not breeding - Why... Help! Breeding Feb 3, 2019

Share This Page