which Cory cat?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by aquadementia, Jul 12, 2013.

  1. aquadementia

    aquadementia

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2012
    Messages:
    117
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria East
    hi there :)

    I will be looking at getting at least 6 Cory cats in a couple of weeks time. There are so many varieties, but which one do I choose?

    Are there vast differences in personality, requirements, sensitivity, etc?

    Can different species be 'mixed' i.e. 1 of each species making a group of 6?

    I have a 3ft tank, tank mates will include Ancistrus, Glowlight Tetras and a dwarf gourami when I eventually find the right specimen.
     
  2. Guest




  3. Dinky

    Dinky

    Joined:
    May 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,685
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Sterbai without a doubt is my favourite! Usually a bit more expensive than the others but a feast to behold.

    Different species can be mixed, just check that they grow to about the same size.

    Mine is currently doing synchronized swimming across the front of the tank and it's beautiful!

    I have found them to be very hardy (after managing to kill a couple of fish when I started my first tank, my cory is still alive!) They will eat whatever drops on the ground that you feed the other fish and I pop them an algae wafer ever so often.
     
  4. OP
    aquadementia

    aquadementia

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2012
    Messages:
    117
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria East
    thanks Dinky, good to know they are hardy
    they are good looking little things
    [​IMG]
     
  5. Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    There's been a discussion of this on TASA. Some people say they do school together (me) others say they don't (Reedfish). Have a look at Planet catfish The genus Corydoras to find similar sized species. Your idea of making a group of different cory species is unique. I like it. They wouldn't breed, though. But that may be what you want. You could increase it to a group of 10, you'd have enough space.
     
  6. OP
    aquadementia

    aquadementia

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2012
    Messages:
    117
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria East
    Hi Jenn

    Sorry, I did a search but missed that thread...

    I take it you have some Corydoras? which species do you have together?

    Breeding isnt a prime objective at this early stage, but it may eventually become more important. I guess happy fish = horny fish :laugh:
    I'll have to think about this one, due to space constraints. If I had a bigger surface area, I could throw in three groups of six and see what happens.
    I think it may be best to play it safe initially.
     
  7. Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    I have just Sterbas Cories in one of my tanks, but I have C. pygmaeus and C. habrosus mixed in another tank. I think a tank is incomplete without Cories :)
     
  8. OP
    aquadementia

    aquadementia

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2012
    Messages:
    117
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria East
    nice! I cant wait to get mine in.. first fish going in tomorrow, some kamikaze Glowlights :p
    should be safe to add the Cory school in by beginning of next month, then I'll post some pics
     
  9. smoothoperatorlyn

    smoothoperatorlyn

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2012
    Messages:
    119
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Kzn, Durban
    Agreed with Jenn. A tank is incomplete without corries. I have 9 in my 4ft tank. 4 sterbais, 3 trilineatus & 2 albino corries. They albinos don't really hang with the others. But I'd sometimes find all 7 sterbai and trilineatus parking together, chilled. They have such personalities! :)
     
  10. Joubert

    Joubert

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2013
    Messages:
    246
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Pretoria, Brooklyn
    Hey

    Rather Kamikaze with mosquito's tomorrow.. If they survive then add the G lights
     
  11. OP
    aquadementia

    aquadementia

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2012
    Messages:
    117
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria East
    nice, I'll see how the lfs keeps them (separated or mixed) and see how they interact
     
  12. OP
    aquadementia

    aquadementia

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2012
    Messages:
    117
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria East
    wont that run the risk of introducing parasites or diseases? I see the merits though :)
     
  13. Joubert

    Joubert

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2013
    Messages:
    246
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Pretoria, Brooklyn
    Yes it certainly does.. But there is a risk in most things. But yeah, rather quarantine them 1st
     
  14. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    The orange and green lazers are fantastic if you can get them.
    Not cheap mind you.
     
  15. DoubleDutch

    DoubleDutch Corydorasfan(atic)

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2013
    Messages:
    3,276
    Likes Received:
    2,321
    Location:
    Hoorn (Holland / The Netherlands)
    Corydoras are social fish that need a group of the same species. Mixing really isn't a good idea cause most have different needs, behaviour aso. Some related will shoal and if to few of the same species they will seek eachother, but won't really shoal as same species. Have a look at this vid. Not any other species in it (i think). Corydoras in the Amazon - YouTube . By the way : they are 95% carnivores so algaewafers mustn't be the main food. High protein wafers / tablets / living or defrosted bloodworms aso are perfect. I am keeping about 100 Corys now : please take a big group of the same species !!!!! Cheers Aad
     
  16. Warr7207

    Warr7207

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2008
    Messages:
    195
    Likes Received:
    0
    Cool vid @ DoubleDutch. Those mobile links are horrible

     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2016
  17. DoubleDutch

    DoubleDutch Corydorasfan(atic)

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2013
    Messages:
    3,276
    Likes Received:
    2,321
    Location:
    Hoorn (Holland / The Netherlands)
    Yes they are. Sorry for that !!! One other Thing In favour of a shoal instead of a collection. Closely related ones will / could interbreed. Bronze, (black)Schultzei, Venezuela, Lasers aso are for instance all Aeneus-species. Natural behaviour, mating aso : one or two (not closely related) large groups really is best !!!
     
  18. OP
    aquadementia

    aquadementia

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2012
    Messages:
    117
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria East
    thanks DD, nice vid! I think a group of Sterbai will be best, will consider large mixed groups when I have more space for them
     
  19. 10i

    10i catfish-a-holic

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2010
    Messages:
    329
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    East London
    Enjoy! Cories are awesome, and they love being kept in a large group.

    I used to have fish before I moved. I like Pepper Cories best, here is a short video of the ones that I had My aquarium - YouTube
     
  20. Pierré Schoonraad

    Pierré Schoonraad Rainbow Freak

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2012
    Messages:
    2,072
    Likes Received:
    700
    Location:
    Queenswood Pretoria
    @Jenn where did you get your Pigmy Corie's from? After seeing them on DoubleDutches thread I am searching for some
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  21. FishyPanda

    FishyPanda

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2013
    Messages:
    203
    Likes Received:
    82
    Location:
    Pretoria North
    If you stay in pta, I know that PetStop gets them in now and then

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Cory Forum Date
Swop: Corydoras Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jun 8, 2026
Swop: Pygmy cory Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 5, 2026
Wanted: Barbatus or Similis corys Wanted/Swop/Freebies Aug 25, 2025
Wanted: Tableview: Peppered Corydora Female Wanted/Swop/Freebies Oct 5, 2024
Wanted: Orange venuzuelan corydoras Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 14, 2024
Peppered cory New members May 20, 2023
Corydora Eating snails General Discussions Jan 23, 2023

Share This Page