What type of plant is this and care and lighting needed???

Discussion in 'Aquatic plants' started by WMDavies, Mar 30, 2014.

  1. WMDavies

    WMDavies

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2011
    Messages:
    90
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Hillcrest, Kzn
    What type of plant is this and care and lighting needed? I looked online at something that looked similar and apparently some type of fern that can't be grown in water but only lives on river banks in Asia. Is this correct. If so why would they sell them in a fish shop. Pic attached.

    IMG_20140328_193600.jpg
     
  2. Guest




  3. OP
    WMDavies

    WMDavies

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2011
    Messages:
    90
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Hillcrest, Kzn
    It's the two plants in the front to the right of the hairgrass
     
  4. Chongkie

    Chongkie

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Pietermaritzburg
    That fern is non aquatic.

    To make money from unwary customers. :evil:
     
  5. DCWarHound

    DCWarHound

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2013
    Messages:
    1,059
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria,Sinoville
    As Chongkie said,none aquatic.

    Also you might want to take your other plants out of the pots and throw them away (the weird spongy things inside,not the plants),i think someone mentioned that it's toxic to fish.
     
  6. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    Not toxic ... glass (mineral) wool typically used is inert , but the fibre from the products can cause issues with fish esp gills. Another thing to consider - allot of our locally grown aquarium plants are emergent, think big hot tunnels with trays of these plants. Many of these are then flooded with nutrient rich water and some of these nutrients can be present when you move the plants to your tanks. So it is always a good idea to remove the medium and wash the roots before adding plants to your tank.

    Later Ferdie

    See Mineral wool - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
     
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  7. OP
    WMDavies

    WMDavies

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2011
    Messages:
    90
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Hillcrest, Kzn
    Thanks guys. Yup I will remove. I am just planning on buying flourite black gravel this week so was gonna plant them once I have the new gravel. Anyone know of a nice fern similar looking to this plant that is aquatic. All I know of is Java Fern which I have?
     
  8. Skye01

    Skye01

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Rynfield, Benoni. GP
    There is an aquatic fern... Bolbitis Heudelotii (Congo or African Fern). It cannot be planted in the substrate as the rhizome will rot, rather attach it to a rock or a piece of wood. I'm not sure but I think that this is a BL plant, have a look on the forum for the list to check & see...

    HTH.
     
  9. johan008

    johan008

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2009
    Messages:
    685
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    JUKSKEI PARK - RANDBURG
    Here is a few pics of a African Fern, marked in red

    1. Small piece on driftwood

    african fern 1.jpg

    2.

    african fern 2.jpg

    3. Just a better pic

    african fern3.jpg

    african fern 1.jpg

    african fern 2.jpg

    african fern3.jpg
     
  10. Gareth

    Gareth Angel Freak

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2009
    Messages:
    2,339
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Potchefstroom
    The fern it the last pics are very nice plant and as far as I understand it is a low tech plant... does not need a lot of light but I can be wrong
    I could never get it to grow properly but I am going to try again soon....
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - type plant care Forum Date
Gouramis - advice on type, number, plants? General Fish Discussions Feb 8, 2015
What type of plant is this? Beginner Discussions Jun 19, 2013
What type of algae is this on my plants. General Discussions Apr 15, 2013
What type of plant fertilizer do we all use. General Discussions Jan 24, 2013
type of plants Beginner Discussions Oct 13, 2009
Wanted:different types of mosses and other nice plants Aquatic plants Jun 2, 2009
What Type of Geophagus Do I have ? General Discussions Apr 16, 2024

Share This Page