What type of algae is this on my plants.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by hviviers75, Apr 15, 2013.

  1. hviviers75

    hviviers75

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2012
    Messages:
    4,789
    Likes Received:
    196
    Location:
    Brakpan
    Hi my fellow fish keepers.

    Can anyone please confirm what type of algae this is. It is covering most of my plant leaves and all the roots of my ferns and my anubias. Is this hair algae? My 2 x SAE started cleaning leaves here and their. I will get another 4 of them on Saturday. Should I stop dosing ferts until all the assumed hair algae is gone.

    Please help and advise what I should do.

    Thanks a mil.

    Will post pics soon.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  2. Guest




  3. DCWarHound

    DCWarHound

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2013
    Messages:
    1,059
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria,Sinoville
    A picture would help.

    If it's a new tank then it's the common algae that goes away after 2-3weeks on it's own,very hard to get rid of.
     
  4. OP
    hviviers75

    hviviers75

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2012
    Messages:
    4,789
    Likes Received:
    196
    Location:
    Brakpan
    It is not a new tank. It has been planted for about 8-10 weeks. And the tank have been running since last year October.

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
     
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  5. DerikPelser

    DerikPelser

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2013
    Messages:
    1,109
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Ruimsig
  6. OP
    hviviers75

    hviviers75

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2012
    Messages:
    4,789
    Likes Received:
    196
    Location:
    Brakpan
  7. DerikPelser

    DerikPelser

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2013
    Messages:
    1,109
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Ruimsig
    Well, hope this help.

    LOL
     
  8. OP
    hviviers75

    hviviers75

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2012
    Messages:
    4,789
    Likes Received:
    196
    Location:
    Brakpan
    You so funny lol.

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
     
  9. cheekychops

    cheekychops themasterofSAURON

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2012
    Messages:
    602
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    Amsterdam, Netherlands
  10. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Don't stop your ferts. Everything I've read says this is the first thing people do and shouldn't!

    Which ferts and how much are you dosing? Are you running any CO2 in the tank yet? Most of the causes for algae that looks like yours are low CO2 levels

    Maybe take some good photos of all your plants as they look like they have deficiencies. How often are you currently gravel vacuuming your tank?
     
  11. Ryno

    Ryno Kenaal baber

    Joined:
    May 19, 2012
    Messages:
    4,022
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Pretoria
    that is because of not enough light
     
  12. OP
    hviviers75

    hviviers75

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2012
    Messages:
    4,789
    Likes Received:
    196
    Location:
    Brakpan
    Go read on the APSA site bud What type of algae is this!!! 911 Please help me.

    The same thread is on apsa and I have asked a few questions already.

    I dont gravel vac because the plants use the pooh for extra nutrients my gravel is always clean.
     
  13. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Co2 and more light as Ryno said...
     
  14. OP
    hviviers75

    hviviers75

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2012
    Messages:
    4,789
    Likes Received:
    196
    Location:
    Brakpan
    Well I wont be able to add co2 at this stage so I am sure 1 extra light will only do good.
     
  15. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Not neccesarly. It's all about balance. Lights - Ferts - Co2. Too much of one or not enough and you will get algae.
     
  16. OP
    hviviers75

    hviviers75

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2012
    Messages:
    4,789
    Likes Received:
    196
    Location:
    Brakpan
    Well all I think it could be is the following maybe, I had great success with Microbelift all in one and bio carbon. I dont use it anymore cause I could not find it.

    All I am using now is Seachem comp and iron. The thing with microbelift all in on it had micro and macro ingredients in it and maybe cause I dont use bio carbon anymore it also stuffing around my balance.

    Should I maybe try seachem excel as I cannot get hold of microbelift bio carbon. I would probably just have to take the risk with my beloved vallis.
     
  17. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Dude, my tank is full of Vallis and I dose excel. Take the risk. They make take an initial beating.

    Maybe start with half dosing?
     
  18. OP
    hviviers75

    hviviers75

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2012
    Messages:
    4,789
    Likes Received:
    196
    Location:
    Brakpan
    Dude you know what I think I must take the risk, so I assume that the vallis will recover from the beating.

    That is a good idea for how long should I use the half dose?
     
  19. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Try half dosing for a week or two then increase your dosing. Just keep an eye on your plants.
     
  20. OP
    hviviers75

    hviviers75

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2012
    Messages:
    4,789
    Likes Received:
    196
    Location:
    Brakpan
    Okay cool I think I will do it, 250ml seachem excel costs me R99 can get it for R82 but then I have to take a drive out to the place. The lfs close to my work charge R99 for some freaken reason LOL!!! I will only be dosing excel 2 -3 times a week, in my big tank I will use a few bottles a month :amazed:
     
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  21. OP
    hviviers75

    hviviers75

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2012
    Messages:
    4,789
    Likes Received:
    196
    Location:
    Brakpan
    Look what I discovered today. This is why I am getting such hectic algae growth the brown diatoms and Green spot algae.

    Thanks for the post! We do not recommend using the Neutral Regulator in a planted aquarium because it is a phosphate based buffer. Though it is a very strong and stable buffer, the excess phosphates in a planted aquarium has the potential to lead to algae growth. Instead, we recommend using the Acid and Alkaline Buffers, which are carbonate based buffers and are ideal for use in a planted aquarium. You can use them in conjunction with one another in order to target a specific pH.

    I hope this helps!

    Neutral Regulator - Seachem - Aquatic Plant Central

    Will stop using this asap.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - type algae plants Forum Date
What Type of Geophagus Do I have ? General Discussions Apr 16, 2024
What type of Rainbow fish is this? ID Needed May 26, 2022
Which type of Kuhli is this? ID Needed Apr 15, 2021
RSS Feed Types Of Eels: 8 Of The Best Freshwater And Saltwater Eels RSS Feeds Feb 1, 2021
What type of shrimp is this. General Discussions Jan 28, 2021
RSS Feed Bichirs Care Guide: Popular Types And Their Behavior RSS Feeds Jul 11, 2020
Wood type ID General Discussions Jun 10, 2020

Share This Page