What size Sump for my 1.7meter tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by hviviers75, Sep 9, 2012.

  1. hviviers75

    hviviers75

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2012
    Messages:
    4,789
    Likes Received:
    196
    Location:
    Brakpan
    Hi all was wondering can I use a 2 foot tank for a sump already have a 2000 liter and a 6000 liter p/h pump for the sump. Please help and advise.

    Size of tank is 1690l x 550w x 790h

    Rougly about 680 liters
     
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  2. Guest




  3. scotty

    scotty

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2010
    Messages:
    254
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    George
    I would advise you use a 915mm tank converted into a sump filter rather than the 60cm. Use your 2000l/hr pump and just make sure your overflow, back to the sump, can handle the in flow. If you use a 20mm pipe to pump into the tank use a 50mm pipe to take the water back to the sump.
     
    Bazil, Ryno and Tiger barb like this.
  4. Bazil

    Bazil Bazil

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,593
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Sasolburg
    +1 a 3foot tank will work great and will handle the flow rate of your pumps much better that 2 foot. You can buy a standard 3 foot and convert into sump, or have it built from scratch. Should cost around R700 complete with media etc. seeing that you allready got the pumps for it.
     
    Ryno likes this.
  5. OP
    hviviers75

    hviviers75

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2012
    Messages:
    4,789
    Likes Received:
    196
    Location:
    Brakpan
    Any ideas on the type of sump thinking of use prof Dirk sump method. Do you all really think a 3 foot is neccesary?.
     
  6. Tiger barb

    Tiger barb CPT

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2010
    Messages:
    292
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Cape Town
    +1 Scotty hit the nail on the head. I have just done this on my 6ft +-650litre tank. I used a 2ft sump for a short period as I DIY'd the 3ft sump. The 2ft's margin for error in terms of water levels is too small. You can either have too much water which will cause the 2ft sump to overflow if the power is cut and you also need to watch that the water level is not too low (due to evaporation) as you dont want to run the pump dry. The 3ft will offer you much more margin for error and more space to hide equipment.

    I built my 3ft sump for about R250. Filter media would obviously add to the cost. I just added two litres of pond matrix which claims to be enough for 800litres of water. I should mention that I have 5litres of ceramic media aswell.
     
  7. Bazil

    Bazil Bazil

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,593
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Sasolburg

    You have a lot of water in that size tank. If you want to go 2 foot and it works, then it's up to you really. You could allways upgrade later. Nice thing about sumps hey. If you have 1000ltr in the tank I think 3 foot will be able to turn the water 3 times over in an hour. Only reason I also agree on the 3 foot as a sump.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - size Sump 7meter Forum Date
Question regarding sump size General Equipment discussion Jun 2, 2016
Sump Heater Size General Discussions May 19, 2011
Sump size Cichlids Feb 1, 2011
what size return pump for the sump General Equipment discussion Jun 24, 2009
Wavemaker size for 472 litre aquarium Equipment Reviews Dec 6, 2021
Common pleco size New members Mar 31, 2021
Pump Size DIY canister filter Anything DIY related Nov 21, 2020

Share This Page