what does a wild Dwarf Gourami look like?

Discussion in 'Labyrinth Fish' started by aquadementia, Jul 31, 2013.

  1. aquadementia

    aquadementia

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2012
    Messages:
    117
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria East
    I've been reading up a bit, as I am interested in acquiring a single male Dwarf Gourami for my 3ft community tank.
    It seems that all the Dwarf Gouramis available nowadays come from the Asian fish farms, where they have unfortunately bred the ruggedness out of them.

    Apparently the wild strain is very colourful and also less prone to illness (but potentially sensitive to our super hard water? (although my wild caught otos seem ok))

    Does anybody have a photo they can post of a true 'wild' DG, so that I will recognise it when I see it.. (hopefully this weekend :p)

    thanks
     
  2. Guest




  3. Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
  4. Good_Times

    Good_Times Kalahari Sandhaai

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2012
    Messages:
    928
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Upington
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. ATV

    ATV

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2013
    Messages:
    168
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Best "Google is your friend" that I have seen in a long time.
     
  6. OP
    aquadementia

    aquadementia

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2012
    Messages:
    117
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria East
    thanks Good Times, I will send him a pm

    I forgot about fishbase, here's a pic
    [​IMG]
     
  7. DoubleDutch

    DoubleDutch Corydorasfan(atic)

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2013
    Messages:
    3,276
    Likes Received:
    2,321
    Location:
    Hoorn (Holland / The Netherlands)
    Wildcolour doesn't mean wildcaught (few are!!). Big part of all Dwarfs (esp. Bred colourvariaties) are infected with Iridovirus (dwarf gourami disease), which almost certain will give a lot of problems, dying in short time. Try to find somefry from a home breeder in your neighbourhood. Surely don't buy asian import!!! Beautifull fish ; a shame they have been bred in this way.
     
  8. OP
    aquadementia

    aquadementia

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2012
    Messages:
    117
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria East
    Hi DD.. I'll make sure to avoid the imported ones. I've been eyeing the ones at the lfs, but they are not quite what I'm looking for (too much blue). hopefully somebody on TASA can hook me up with a locally bred specimen. I would be thrilled with something equivalent to the picture above.
     
  9. DoubleDutch

    DoubleDutch Corydorasfan(atic)

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2013
    Messages:
    3,276
    Likes Received:
    2,321
    Location:
    Hoorn (Holland / The Netherlands)
    I think it's one of the most beautifull fish, but one of the cases humans distroyed it cause if this reason. I'll try to post some info about Irido later. Why don't you get a couple. Don't keep this fish too warm, quite tank, low flow and lot of (floating)plants. When kept too warm they will constantly get in matingmood and will die in a short period using all it's energy for that. They'll get worn out !!
     
  10. DoubleDutch

    DoubleDutch Corydorasfan(atic)

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2013
    Messages:
    3,276
    Likes Received:
    2,321
    Location:
    Hoorn (Holland / The Netherlands)
    The more blue ones are over/interbred-ones. Surely neon / cobalt. Red has to be the mail colour.
     
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  11. OP
    aquadementia

    aquadementia

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2012
    Messages:
    117
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria East
    hahaha! thanks, thats a good tip I may not have picked up otherwise... I've got PLENTY plants, and a nice floating variety too. I will post a pic of my setup once my log stops leeching tanins like a teabag. I think I will stick with just one at this stage, but may consider getting a few and seeing if I can get some babies going. Only if I get a good bloodline though. The ones with blue dont look so great, not only their colour but their features too
     
  12. DoubleDutch

    DoubleDutch Corydorasfan(atic)

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2013
    Messages:
    3,276
    Likes Received:
    2,321
    Location:
    Hoorn (Holland / The Netherlands)
    Was looking in a LFS-tank some time a go. There were about 30 Dwarfs : there was none with the same colour or bodyshape. Awefull. Don't get more males !!! That will mean WAR !!!
     
  13. OP
    aquadementia

    aquadementia

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2012
    Messages:
    117
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria East
    thats what I'm afraid of :) will get a nice male, he can be king of the tank and a harem of females for him to play with
     
  14. DoubleDutch

    DoubleDutch Corydorasfan(atic)

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2013
    Messages:
    3,276
    Likes Received:
    2,321
    Location:
    Hoorn (Holland / The Netherlands)
  15. OP
    aquadementia

    aquadementia

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2012
    Messages:
    117
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria East
    nice, thanks!
     

Recent Posts

Loading...

Share This Page