What do you feed your fish ?

Discussion in 'General Fish Discussions' started by Ladysphinx, Dec 6, 2016.

  1. Ladysphinx

    Ladysphinx

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2016
    Messages:
    889
    Likes Received:
    267
    Location:
    Benoni AH
    I try to feed my fish as large variety of foods possible and it pays off because they colour up way more then when I get them. Even the fish I got from my sister's friend coloured up nicely. I curious to here what do you guys feed your fish in general.
     
  2. Guest




  3. WeirdSteam

    WeirdSteam Corydoras Freak!

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2014
    Messages:
    543
    Likes Received:
    49
    Location:
    De Kuilen, Cape Town
    I feed, Baby Brine Shrimp (Hatched myself), my own Egg Yellow with Garlic mix, Some Flakes, Some pellets, and some baby-marrow and once in a while some frozen blood worm.
     
    Lanner and Ladysphinx like this.
  4. Saturn

    Saturn

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2014
    Messages:
    498
    Likes Received:
    48
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Well I only have goldies, their food cupboard consist of Hikari lionhead pellets, frozen blood worms, green peas (nukes and mashed) and live Brine shrimp from time to time.
     
    Ladysphinx likes this.
  5. Surina Nel

    Surina Nel

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2016
    Messages:
    32
    Likes Received:
    5
    I feed flakes, betta pellets, tubifix worms and sinking pellets for the cories, algae wafers for the pleco. The scarlets get only self hatched brine shrimp. Bloodworms every 3rd day
     
  6. Pezulu

    Pezulu

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2015
    Messages:
    3,417
    Likes Received:
    1,393
    Location:
    Centurion
    Rainbows, Rasbora's, Angels and a couple of Swordtails all get TertraMin twice a day, and frozen bloodworm once a week. (4ft tank)
    Panda Cory's, Glowlight Danio's and shrimp get Tetramin, Hikari sinking wafers and Sera shrimp naturals, with frozen Artemia every second day.(2ft tank)
    African bushfish gets 3 medium crickets every day, while the Gourami get TetraMin Pro Crisps, and the Synodontis gets 2 algae wafers daily. (3ft tank)
    Shrimp tanks get frozen Artemia with spirulina and garlic twice a day, and Sera shrimp naturals once a day.(40Litre tanks)
    Guppies get Hikari First Bites 4 times a day for the fry and TertaMin twice a day. (3ft tank)
     
  7. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    Rays: Silversides and Earthworms (they refuse pellets)
    Lungfish: Silversides, all sorts of pellets.
    Chocolate cichlids, Geos, Dollars: All sorts of frozen and freeze dried crustaceans & worms, pellets & flake and fresh greens
     
  8. MariaS

    MariaS Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2015
    Messages:
    8,740
    Likes Received:
    3,581
    Location:
    Klipriver, Midvaal
    Rays: Frozen shrimp tails, hake, tilapia, earthworms... yep they say the pellets I can eat myself..
    Arowanas: Frozen shrimp tails, hake, tilapia, earthworms, mealworms, crickets... still working on the pellets
    Flash was so angry last night over the pellets he attacked my thermometer and threw it flying... Aro tantrum..
    Cichlids ie oscars, electric blue acaras, severum and others they all grab some of the Aro's food and they get their pellets
    Clowns get Hikari clown sinking wafers and algae wafers as well as cucumber, zuchini, etc
    Thye all get bloodworms every second day
     
  9. Lanner

    Lanner

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2016
    Messages:
    242
    Likes Received:
    64
    Location:
    Standerton
    Here is a novel idea for feeding that is totally ignored, if you are an angler or have friends that are take the eggs from caught fish wash in clean water and feed them to your fish.
    The eggs can be frozen and used as needed, I regularly get carp eggs from a friend and my fish loves it.

    Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
     
    Ladysphinx likes this.
  10. OP
    Ladysphinx

    Ladysphinx

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2016
    Messages:
    889
    Likes Received:
    267
    Location:
    Benoni AH
    That sounds like a great idea but sadly I almost never have anyone I really know who goes fishing anymore. I love going fishing too but we hardly ever do. I know one of my neighbours do, I can ask him if he will save me fish eggs if he gets any. I'm sure he's going to think I'm crazy but what the hell I already have half my family thinking that.

    On another note, on another thread (can't remember which one)we spoke about fish food flakes and how someone mentioned (can't remember who) that tetramin food is really good so today I bought that but I couldn't make up my mind so I bought four different types and mixed them together. My fish went insane for them which I guess is good. I fed them the usual amount and they ate it all in 30 seconds so I fed them another portion and they gulped it down quickly again unlike the Daro flakes they usually eat casually. So I'm impressed
     
  11. neltf

    neltf

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2014
    Messages:
    2,223
    Likes Received:
    147
    Location:
    Boksburg
    There is only food for me, NEW LIFE SPECTRUM

    Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
     
  12. BoelderBeestie

    BoelderBeestie

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2016
    Messages:
    2,316
    Likes Received:
    1,072
    Location:
    Cape Town
    @Lanner be carefull of wild fish or their eggs. They are infested with parasites.

    My food includes:
    Prawn, hake, granules, 4 types of frozen mix, flakes, bloodworm, superworm and mealworm.
     
  13. Jwh

    Jwh

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2014
    Messages:
    1,737
    Likes Received:
    97
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Where do you find that in SA?
     
  14. neltf

    neltf

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2014
    Messages:
    2,223
    Likes Received:
    147
    Location:
    Boksburg
    import bud

    Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
     
  15. lennard

    lennard

    Joined:
    May 16, 2011
    Messages:
    406
    Likes Received:
    28
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    Having mostly guppies I do mix my own food - no scientific formula though!

    I use goldfish flakes, variety of cichlid pellets, koi pellets, dog food, egg based bird breeder crumbs, kelp tablets and even dried chickweed. All of these are ground to a powdery mix. I am still working on a slow release kind of boilie for trying to get the fish to feed a little at a time but for the whole day. My discus are fed food specifically made for them.
     
  16. neltf

    neltf

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2014
    Messages:
    2,223
    Likes Received:
    147
    Location:
    Boksburg
    Eish bud, what a mix...

    Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
     
  17. Hendre

    Hendre Polypterus freak

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2016
    Messages:
    3,669
    Likes Received:
    1,729
    Location:
    Cape town
    Hmm, Goldfish get pellets 2x a week (they are in a smaller tank than i want so i would rather have them grow slowly)

    Danios, platies and Betta get flake every second day, bloodworm once weekly to avoid bloating the Betta. The betta used to be on pellets but he can't compete for them so flake works fine. The betta is on his way out so i may increase the feeding.

    African butterfly fish, Pink tail chalceus get pellets daily, earthworms or bloodworms once weekly and spiderlings whenever i find them.

    The African Knives and synodontis cat get pellets daily, earthworms and bloodworms weekly.

    Earthworms are great for food
     
  18. neltf

    neltf

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2014
    Messages:
    2,223
    Likes Received:
    147
    Location:
    Boksburg
    Guy's, I have a 500g Tub 1mm Nls to sell for R500, Brakpan, Collection DSC_0002.JPG

    Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
     
  19. Discusnut

    Discusnut

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2017
    Messages:
    320
    Likes Received:
    52
    I also prefer making my own food as it works out way cheaper and fish look better

    Sent from my Halona using Tapatalk
     
  20. BoelderBeestie

    BoelderBeestie

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2016
    Messages:
    2,316
    Likes Received:
    1,072
    Location:
    Cape Town
    I have started to feed ostrich fillet to my discus a few months ago with there regular mix and I am seeing a noticeable difference is growth. They are nice and fat now. The guy I got them from feeds this as part of the diet when growing them out and when I saw his last add about 5 months ago his fish where much bigger then mine so I gave it a shot and its working.

    Now here's a question, how the hell do you get your discus to eat granules. The only way I get it right is to crush it and ad it to the mixes. I starved them over the holidays now but no, they run to the feeding corner and when they see its granules the pull up their noses and move away. This was the longest period I tried, it was 6 days.
     
  21. Discusnut

    Discusnut

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2017
    Messages:
    320
    Likes Received:
    52
    Ja my discus also flat out ignore granules. But walk past the freezer they all front of tank.

    Sent from my Halona using Tapatalk
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - feed fish Forum Date
African butterfly fish feeding General Discussions Aug 3, 2022
ID: is this something I can feed my fish? ID Needed Apr 10, 2022
fish feeding and tank maintenance service General Discussions Jul 29, 2021
RSS Feed Feeder Guppy: How To Breed & Care For Feeder Fish RSS Feeds Feb 11, 2021
Wanted: Auto fish feeder Wanted/Swop/Freebies Apr 7, 2019
RSS Feed Top 5 bottom feeder fish | Freshwater bottom dwellers RSS Feeds Aug 16, 2018
Automatic Fish Feeder Ponds Mar 4, 2018

Share This Page