What carpet plant should I start with?

Discussion in 'Aquatic plants' started by St@tic, Jun 24, 2013.

  1. St@tic

    St@tic

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2012
    Messages:
    148
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Midrand
    Hi I want to setup a new 20L Nano with a bonsai with xmas moss and want a carpet plant, I haven't grown a carpet before so what carpet plant should I get? glosso or HC

    Substrate-ADA amazonia hope I can get the powder type but if not will the normal type work fine?
    Light CFL 20w opple should I change to a different brand or wattage?
    Co2 will be DIY for now
     
  2. Guest




  3. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    Both plants will be just fine. They like c02.
     
  4. shan

    shan

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2010
    Messages:
    248
    Likes Received:
    27
    Location:
    Centurion
    for something as small as 20l and if you going to do a bonsai in that, then i would use HC. Smaller leaves than glosso so will give a better perspective
     
  5. OP
    St@tic

    St@tic

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2012
    Messages:
    148
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Midrand
    Thanks guys @dash do you know of any petshop or person selling these plants
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. GOJ

    GOJ

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2011
    Messages:
    120
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Durban
    St@tic, when you say a 20L nano what are the dimensions. HC specifically needs a lot of light and co2 and with aquasoil something to bring up your KH, so maybe look at adding a little crushed coral to your filter or you will end up with problems sooner or later. Glosso also prefers the water a little harder than an un buffered aquasoil tank filled with our Durban tap water will sit. Glosso will also stem if it does not have enough light. I agree with @shan that the HC will look better "as I envisage a bonsai tree in a 20L" the smaller leaves that HC offers will scale best with the little tree. Also remember you need a good, constant supply of co2 be it DIY or pressurised, if DIY reset the system at night with an airstone or diffuse your co2 with a powerhead on a timer which turns off at night. Lastly remember that HC is definitely not going to grow in the shade of any tree. HTH
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
    hein24 likes this.
  7. hein24

    hein24 Betta

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2011
    Messages:
    1,442
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    +1
     
  8. OP
    St@tic

    St@tic

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2012
    Messages:
    148
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Midrand
    @GOJ the tank is 1.5 foot I'm sure this is the size 45L*23W*30H and the tank takes 30L water but with the last setup is took 20L water because of the substrate and rock feature.The hood as 2 light fitting in it so I can put add another globe if needed so many watts per a liter will I need for HC. I will get crushed coral for my filter.The tank will not be supplied with CO2 at night and no fish will be in this tank for a long time also will add a drop checker to make sure my CO2 is sharp and will dosage a bit of excel if needed. The tree is small and will take 1/4 of the tank the rest of the tank will be my carpet. Now anyone knows where I get some xmas moss and HC or Glosso in Durban I found a petshop over the weekend that has them but the stock was for they display tank and they don't know if they will get more in stock to sell to the public.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  9. shan

    shan

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2010
    Messages:
    248
    Likes Received:
    27
    Location:
    Centurion
    my HC, ADA tank was only running 2x 15w oppel 6500k cfl's. I had to trim the HC weekly - if i did not, it would start to lift from the substrate. My tank is also the same size so 2x 20w cfl's would be more than sufficient.

    now you can grow HC with excel, i have done it but damn it takes long, very very long to carpet and not very well i must add.
     
  10. GOJ

    GOJ

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2011
    Messages:
    120
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Durban
    As shan says 2x 20/23w 6500k cfl's should do it over that size tank.
     
  11. OP
    St@tic

    St@tic

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2012
    Messages:
    148
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Midrand
    I should be fine then.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - carpet plant should Forum Date
Wanted: Foreground/carpet plants Wanted/Swop/Freebies Dec 17, 2021
Good Carpet plants please? Aquatic plants Jul 10, 2021
Wanted: Carpet plants needed Wanted/Swop/Freebies Feb 8, 2019
Carpet Plants Aquatic plants Aug 5, 2017
Wanted: Foreground/carpet plants, Staurogyne repens Wanted/Swop/Freebies Sep 7, 2015
Lookinf for easy carpet plant. Wanted/Swop/Freebies May 28, 2015
Wanted: carpeting plants Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jan 13, 2015

Share This Page