What can I do with these tanks

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Oscar, Aug 9, 2010.

  1. Oscar

    Oscar

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2010
    Messages:
    53
    Likes Received:
    0
    I made a couple of home made tanks that are 80L*15W*15H
    I cut the glass and made about five and can make a few more.

    Now I am stuck what can a do with that type of fish tank:blink1:.

    Any Ideas at all:blink1:.

    Oscar
     
  2. Guest




  3. 10i

    10i catfish-a-holic

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2010
    Messages:
    329
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    East London
    shellies! or bristlenoses with neons or guppies or other small tang chiclids.
     
  4. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    I would also look at a breeding pair of cichlids for each tank and then ad a few smaller fish for some company.
    Shellies are very cool little fish.
     
  5. SalmonAfrica

    SalmonAfrica Batfish

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    Messages:
    3,080
    Likes Received:
    471
    Location:
    Durban
    Before I make any suggestions, Oscar, are those measurements in centimeters or inches?
     
  6. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    I would think they are in CM... but then again, 15cm W and 15cm H is a very odd shaped tank.
     
  7. TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    Cant be centimeters! It's 80L each.....

    15"x15"
     
  8. OP
    Oscar

    Oscar

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2010
    Messages:
    53
    Likes Received:
    0
    They are in CM

    Yes very odd.
    I have to admit.
     
  9. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    15cm high - perfect for beta breeding I think ... or cultivating plants
     
  10. OP
    Oscar

    Oscar

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2010
    Messages:
    53
    Likes Received:
    0
    OK betta Breeding.

    What will I need and how to set it up
     
  11. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Nope TM. The 80L does not refer to Litres.. it refers to LENGTH (L X W X H) which is the common formula given when describing the size of a tank.
     
  12. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    search the web for betta barracks ... I'd make two dividers per tank then use then to house males :)
     
  13. SalmonAfrica

    SalmonAfrica Batfish

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    Messages:
    3,080
    Likes Received:
    471
    Location:
    Durban
    They may be very shallow, thin tanks, but not useless! :) As some others have suggested, try breeding fish accustomed to smaller water bodies, like the Betta species.
     
  14. TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    Oops...

    This is highly usable....

    Mudskipper tank perhaps? Might be too shallow...Something brackish...like fiddler crabs or something of that sort

    I would use 1 of the tanks for a cool moss tank though..:noworry:
     
  15. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    I think keeping any type of crab is blacklisted?
     
  16. SalmonAfrica

    SalmonAfrica Batfish

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    Messages:
    3,080
    Likes Received:
    471
    Location:
    Durban
    Actually, the blacklist says that all freshwater inverterbrates are blacklisted. Fiddler crabs are technically brackish/marine species :blink1:

    I wouldn't risk mudskippers or crabs in such a shallow setup though - both have amazing climbing abilities that are best left unwitnessed.
     
  17. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Ok, thanks Salmon. I'm not familiar with brackish of marine at all.
     
  18. TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    Freshwater crabs are those green ones...they can be found in any drain system ... I think...nothing special about them...

    Try planting the tank with brackish tolerant plants and adding some brackish shrimp or cracker shrimp...

    I'm not sure if its on the blacklist but it is legal to catch these if you have a cracker permit.

    Keeping them as 'live bait' wont hurt..
     
  19. Whipme

    Whipme Microsword

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2009
    Messages:
    928
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Centuion
    Someday you could put some shrimp in them, they're about the right size.
    But for now you could most likely house some nano fish like Microrasboras.
    And they'll look great with some mosses, or plants that will grow out of the water!
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - tanks Forum Date
Apartment Tanks General Discussions Mar 30, 2025
Wanted: Shrimp Tanks Wanted/Swop/Freebies Nov 7, 2024
Where should i buy tanks. General Equipment discussion Feb 21, 2024
The restart of My Love affair with tanks Members Systems Dec 14, 2023
Relocation of fish and Tanks Beginner Discussions Dec 7, 2023
T's Tanks General Discussions Nov 22, 2023
Back to tanks after 9 year break New members Nov 19, 2023

Share This Page