What Bio-Filter Substrate is this?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Singhms, Aug 29, 2011.

  1. Arrow Boy

    Arrow Boy

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Messages:
    1,220
    Likes Received:
    206
    Location:
    Gauteng
    Hi All,

    I got this bio-substrate in my canister filters that I purchased with my 2nd hand tank.

    Anyone know what it is?

    Thanks,
    2011-08-28 19.17.27.jpg

    2011-08-28 19.17.16.jpg

    2011-08-28 19.17.27.jpg

    2011-08-28 19.17.16.jpg
     
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  2. Guest




  3. Vez

    Vez

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,076
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Krugersdorp Jhb
    Zeolite?
     
  4. Big G

    Big G Apisto Nutz!!!

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2008
    Messages:
    2,508
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Cape Town
    I'd also have said Zeolite, but otherwise maybe just stone chips? The second pic looks more like these. Why someone would use them in their filter though is beyond me? With that in mind, I'll stick to it being Zeolite.

    Regards
    G!
     
  5. neilh

    neilh

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2009
    Messages:
    704
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    JHB/Roodepoort
    Could be Eheim Efubstraat or something to that effect. Or SeaChem Matrix
     
  6. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Not Matrix - that has a much more rounded apearance....Whats the average size of a piece?
     
  7. Barry.M

    Barry.M

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    539
    Likes Received:
    32
    Location:
    Kilner Park, Pretoria
    It looks as if it could be this: 420487_75bf334e812b82ff7b498345a0f39531.jpgIf I am correct. it is a Chinese import.
    Ceramic, very porous. If I recall correctly, I got some from Moolis years ago and used it in
    one of my DIY tropical barrel pond filters. Didn't open or clean the filter for about 4 years
    and never had a problem in that pond. The stuff worked very well. I had 4 Ancistrus, 6 cory's, 2 [FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Hillstream[/FONT][FONT=&quot] l[/FONT][FONT=&quot]oaches. [/FONT]a couple
    of Gourami, Platys and Neon Tetras

    420487_75bf334e812b82ff7b498345a0f39531.jpg
     
  8. OP
    Arrow Boy

    Arrow Boy

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Messages:
    1,220
    Likes Received:
    206
    Location:
    Gauteng
    @azurekoi they vary between about a 10c and 5c piece in size
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Filter Substrate Forum Date
Changing gravel substrate to Pool Filter Sand . Beginner Discussions Aug 15, 2014
using pool filter sand as substrate General Discussions Jul 22, 2014
20L Marine Nano Cube with LED, Substrate, Decorations, Filter media, Pump and He... Jungle Aquatics Nov 23, 2013
some basic info all in one place please Co2/filter/substrate Planted Tanks Oct 24, 2012
Pool filter sand or silica sand as substrate Community Tanks Nov 23, 2010
Eheim filter - 250 professional - locking clamp for adaptor General Equipment discussion May 31, 2026
Save 20% on the Oase BioMaster Canister Filter Today Jungle Aquatics Mar 4, 2026

Share This Page