What are these?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by AmithS, Apr 24, 2019.

  1. Arrow Boy

    Arrow Boy

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Messages:
    1,220
    Likes Received:
    206
    Location:
    Gauteng
    Soooooo......

    I have a little tank (60L) with some shrimp, ramshorn snails and guppies (removed the guppies about 2 weeks ago...

    I started seeing / noticing these tiny almost microscopic white like insects (almost like fruit flies of the water) in my tank...

    Last night I dropped a piece of cucumber in the tank and managed to get this pick of them about an hour later.

    They actually look whitish... the colour in the pic could be due to the camera flash.

    Any ideas.... I am assuming the guppies kept them in check before I removed them?

    20190423_220402.jpg
     
  2. Guest




  3. Hein@1979

    Hein@1979

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2018
    Messages:
    166
    Likes Received:
    62
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Ramshorn snail babys
     
  4. Saibot

    Saibot

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2019
    Messages:
    579
    Likes Received:
    248
    Location:
    GP
    Let us know how they grow
     
  5. Barry Roux

    Barry Roux

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2017
    Messages:
    614
    Likes Received:
    283
    They look alot like fresh water pods but i cant say for sure.
     
  6. OP
    Arrow Boy

    Arrow Boy

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Messages:
    1,220
    Likes Received:
    206
    Location:
    Gauteng
    Definitely not ramshorn babies, pods a possibility, looks closer to water fleas from what I could research so far...
     
  7. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    Hard to tell without a close up.
    Possibly Planaria?
     
  8. SalmonAfrica

    SalmonAfrica Batfish

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    Messages:
    3,080
    Likes Received:
    471
    Location:
    Durban
    Could be ostrocods as well. Not uncommon. However it may be hard for anyone online to tell without getting a proper, close-up look.
     
  9. Pezulu

    Pezulu

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2015
    Messages:
    3,417
    Likes Received:
    1,393
    Location:
    Centurion
    I see ramshorn snails, shrimplets, planaria and what could be ostrocods (seed shrimp)
     

Recent Posts

Share This Page