Water testing with your senses

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Razer2007, Mar 25, 2012.

  1. Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    I searched for it but could not find anything solidly about this topic.

    I have read so many times about test kits being unreliable and inaccurate. I've also heard that experts can sometimes smell, look or feel the water and tell the ammonia, hardness, and stuff. I don't know what else.

    Now I don't have any test kits. Only the HTH chlorine and pH kits for the pool. I am not too worried about both in my tanks. I am unsure about the hardness and the ammonia readings. The reason I'm unsure about ammonia is because I don't know if my filter has enough filtration (bio-media and surface). The hardness should also be right because I want my plants to grow crazy.

    I want to know if any of you have any DIY methods of testing water, if it's looking, smelling, feeling, looking at bubbles pop or using any other household items.

    Thank you,
    Danelle
     
  2. Guest




  3. firemanmuzz

    firemanmuzz

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2011
    Messages:
    276
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Durban,Kzn
    its like stevie wonder flying a plane ,you flying blind unfortunately.
     
  4. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    Okaaay?

    Tell me more about that.
     
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  5. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    The trick to it is all in the preperation rituals Dude.... - get some good quality incense burning + best done on a full moon night (tidal influence important to,but that comes in later) - Aproach your tank on hands and knees chanting the Scientific names of your fish...Backwards.... When you EXACTLY 1 metre from the tank - fall to floor and roll over 3 times - whip your neck up and squint at tank through yur left eye... ALL WILL be revealed!!!..... NOT!!!

    Smell is a good one - anyone will be able to detect high levels of Ammonia in their tanks....but visually - your fish should all be dead by then.... Unfortunately there is no esoteric mumbo jumbo out there that comes close to a good test kit .... for me the behaviour of my fish tell me most of what i need to know - but that only comes from staring into tanks daily for over 3 decades....lol

    On an aside though.....when i work with my arms in a marine aquarium making use of synthetic sea salt - I experience severe skin reactions/rashes if the Nitrate content is high - through testing with test kits and comparing to the level of reaction - i can now be pretty accurate with a ball park figure of how high they are by degree of skin reaction.... Also by just tasting koi pond water....pretty good with guesstimating the amount of salt in it....but had to taste a LOT of yucky pond water in my life to acquire that skill ...

    So @Razer2007 - no hard and fast ones - but keen observation over years and years can make you able to spot a problem...
     
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  6. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    For a moment I though you were serious until I read "chanting". Anyways.

    Thank you Azurekoi. All makes sense.. more or less.. maybe a bit less. I'll just have to learn from experience then, and maybe invest in a test kit? There's a lot of threads about test kits so I'll go read a bit. (see - I've learnt something)

    So there's do deduction you can make if bubbles on the surface don't pop within seconds? This happened and it got me thinking.
     
  7. butcherman

    butcherman Administrator

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2009
    Messages:
    1,584
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Edenvale
    Google seneye ;)

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
     
  8. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    too much $$$
     
  9. Skye01

    Skye01

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Rynfield, Benoni. GP
    How willing are you to take a chance on losing your fish in place of getting the relevant Nitrite/Nitrate and Ammonia test kits? I must admit that I would rather be a "bit off" on a kit than lose all my fish through guessing.

    Just my 2c worth...
     
  10. Corne

    Corne

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2011
    Messages:
    611
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Villeria
    Water test
    Stick finger in tank
    Finger dry = no water
    Finger cold = water
    Finger hot = left bowl on stove ?
    Finger very cold = tank in fridge
    Finger stinks=water terrible or finger in wrong hole

    Fish floating dead on top =affirmative DOA synchronized bobbing
    Fish dead on bottom=depression or lazy

    These test are 100% accurate
     
  11. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    Haha nice @Corne

    @Skye01, I will get a test kit some time but I just wondered if there are ways of DIY'ing it.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  12. Skye01

    Skye01

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Rynfield, Benoni. GP
    +1 @Corne :smiley-laughing024:

    If you get the Sera individual test kits it's expensive, but then you don't have a whole lot of unneccessary tests that you are not interested in. Then you buy exactly what it is that you are wanting to test for. I think Nutrafin does the same type of setup, where you can buy only the kits that you are looking for....

    HTH
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  13. Corne

    Corne

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2011
    Messages:
    611
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Villeria
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Water testing senses Forum Date
Discover NT Labs | The Leaders in Fish Health and Water Testing Jungle Aquatics May 16, 2025
Testing the water General Off-Topic chat Feb 23, 2023
Testing the water General Equipment discussion Feb 23, 2023
Testing the waters General Discussions Nov 12, 2022
Water testing kits - product reviews General Discussions Aug 6, 2019
What is the best water testing kit? General Equipment discussion Feb 19, 2019
LAB standards water testing & Pet Stop SA Pet Stop Feb 13, 2017

Share This Page