Water Chemicals Important?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Cheetah, Aug 5, 2010.

  1. Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    For 40 years of breeding fish (35 species) and not being concerned with water chemicals and the likes, you new generation aquarists have convinced me that "water chemicals" must be considered in ichtiology...

    So, only because it was a bargain buy at R1 on “Bidorbuy" I got myself a pH test kit.

    I was surprised to find all of my tanks at a constant of pH 7.1 and only one tank (drip-off water from the aircon with driftwood floating in the water at pH 6.8.... Is water make-up all that important???....

    (BTW... from the same source, I've now also ordered a kit to test the rest of my water qualities)... I (actually) do not care what the results are... If I wanna breed something... I just put up a tank and breed 'em.
     
  2. Guest




  3. Relborg

    Relborg

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2010
    Messages:
    376
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    JHB East / North

    Oh how i wish i had that ability .... I struggle my ass of at the best of times
     
  4. Singularity

    Singularity

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    Messages:
    892
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Potchefstroom
    This would only really be important when you are trying to breed something difficult like wild discus, altums and so on, they require very specific water conditions before they will even consider breeding, will also influence hatch rate and the growing out of these more sensitive fish. So when you want to breed some of these species it gets complicated quickly.
     
  5. oosie

    oosie Oosie

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2010
    Messages:
    170
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Polokwane (Pietersburg Limpopo)
    I have started my tank one month ago, I used borehole water and had a problem with first , amoniak (overfeeding) and had to do a 60% water change. Then I found my Nitrate went above 50ppm...anther big water change, since then I got a spoon(wife's idea) to measure food. My water is now in for 2 weeks, ph at 7.1 and Nitrate < 25ppm (orange)
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Water Chemicals Important Forum Date
Some ideas or inspiration for larger aquarium water changes.... General Discussions Jun 18, 2026
Flow of clean RODI water too slow?? General Discussions Mar 27, 2026
Discover NT Labs | The Leaders in Fish Health and Water Testing Jungle Aquatics May 16, 2025
Freshwater vs. Saltwater Aquariums in SA: General Fish Discussions Mar 31, 2025
Recommended water changes ? Beginner Discussions Sep 12, 2024
Is buying RO/DI water a thing? Beginner Discussions Jul 9, 2023
Tap water PH - Edgemead Goodwood General Discussions May 29, 2023

Share This Page