Water change reservoir???

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Willem, Jun 19, 2011.

  1. Willem

    Willem High fin Pangasius

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    755
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    Pretoria
    I have got a 1000 L tank that I want to make as water change reservoir --- do I need to put in pump,air and filter, and do I need to populate with fish as well to cycle it? :wondering:
     
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  2. Guest




  3. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    Why do you want a 1000L?

    Are you trying to mature the water before adding it to your tanks? How many tanks do you need to do a WC for?

    For RO I understand why ppl want to do a reservoir - for FW I am not so sure unless you are trying to heat and treat before the WC.

    Either way at minimum aeration should be added for such a bulk.

    Later Ferdie
     
  4. OP
    Willem

    Willem High fin Pangasius

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    755
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    Pretoria
    I have it standing here and want to do something with it plus my tropical tank is 860L so want to use it as reservoir .
     
  5. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    Use it as a breeding tank?
     
  6. OP
    Willem

    Willem High fin Pangasius

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    755
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Yea!!! that too what do you want me to breed in there?
    Ugh!!! then I need to do water change in there aswell
     
  7. Daan Wessels

    Daan Wessels Old Newbie

    Joined:
    May 4, 2011
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Pretoria
    It probably is going overboard a bit. I have just upgraded my diminutive 12 L tank to a 25 L tank. Am doing WC on a daily basis (about 10 %) and using only a gravel filter, with a standby charcoal filter when forced to do a medication program.
    I don't know a lot about it yet, still in the learning stage, but find that using a charcoal pre-filter and a chemical neutraliser has so far done no visible harm to my system. Plus I am doing a bit of ammonia neutralisation and adding some nitrogen neutraliser as well.
    Maybe the experts can point me in another direction, but it seems to me that a lengthy pretreatment is unnecessary when using either carbon filtered or (preferably) RO treated water.
    I would, in Willems position, use the tank for extra fish. Maybe sort the compatible ones in two seperate tanks.
     
  8. Firefly

    Firefly Pleco

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    Messages:
    2,333
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    East London
    I recently got a 200L drum to age water in. I would just have a pump in it to pump water to my tank and an airstone to aerate the water.
    Probably just getting lazy, having to carry buckets puts me off water changes...
     
    mydummyname likes this.
  9. OP
    Willem

    Willem High fin Pangasius

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    755
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    Pretoria
    @ Daan Yes I am going to set it up but as a breeding tank it is actually a 1000L plastic drum with the top cut of
    so I set it up with 600L of water and one of those small pumps with the air nozzle where you connect the
    air pump onto. To breed I will defenately need you peoples help .

    @ Firefly Yes I am also lazy to carry 180 litres of water is a bit difficult, that is why I want to setup a drum to do
    water changes but it seems I am doing something else with it now so I will ma use the 200L drum for that.
     
  10. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    Tubing onto the kitchen water filter .. that works for me - no buckets in my fishroom. Even drilled a hole through the wall and use a 20mm pipe for siphon straight into the garden.

    When it warms up - add guppies to the 600l drum ;-) - oh and moss loads of moss on driftwood.
     
  11. Firefly

    Firefly Pleco

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    Messages:
    2,333
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    East London
    Also a good idea. I was thinking of having a super bright light and have some plants in the bottom.
     
  12. mydummyname

    mydummyname Balala shark

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    Messages:
    2,302
    Likes Received:
    41
    Location:
    cape town

    probably one of the easier methods out there.. fill up drum with hose pipe, add dechlorinator and pump into tank.

    +1
     
  13. Daan Wessels

    Daan Wessels Old Newbie

    Joined:
    May 4, 2011
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Yes! and some ferns and other pretties around it plus a small pump and a waterfall. Some of these strip LED's the motorcycle riders use, in Bright White for lighting would provide an ideal waterproof lighting. Ad a few dark blue LED's on a separate circuit for moonlight.

    What a delightful idea for an indoor fishpond.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Water change reservoir Forum Date
Some ideas or inspiration for larger aquarium water changes.... General Discussions Jun 18, 2026
Recommended water changes ? Beginner Discussions Sep 12, 2024
Shrimp and Water Changes Beginner Discussions Jun 14, 2021
Just did a water change Planted Tanks May 9, 2021
How to lower tap water PH - water change? Beginner Discussions Mar 9, 2021
Ode to water changes General Discussions Feb 22, 2021
RSS Feed Top 6 Aquarium Water Changers RSS Feeds Dec 4, 2020

Share This Page