very small worms in gravel

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by HeinrichvH, Feb 3, 2012.

  1. HeinrichvH

    HeinrichvH

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2011
    Messages:
    498
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Kempton Park
    Good day

    I reacently bought a tank from soemone. It had water in it and I currently have fish in the tank. When I was cleaning the gravel the other day I noticed these small worms in the siphon pipe. Can only see them when there is light behind the pipe.
    I must add that the fish in the tank are very happy and healthy

    They are about 1cm long and not even a mm thick.

    What are these worms?

    Thanks
     
  2. Guest




  3. jedigenie

    jedigenie

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2010
    Messages:
    482
    Likes Received:
    14
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth
    Planarian worms most likely. Most often associated with overfeeding but occurs naturally in most tanks. Harmless to fish but can be a pain if you are trying to breed because they burrow into eggs. Unless you are infested with it you shouldnt have any issues
     
  4. morfien

    morfien

    Joined:
    May 8, 2011
    Messages:
    28
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Boksburg, gauteng
    I had small white worms in my tank once.
    Turns out it was from over feeding and using under gravel filters.

    I personally hate under gravel filters as they are pron to issues like that.
     
  5. Firefly

    Firefly Pleco

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    Messages:
    2,333
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    East London
    Most likely planaria worms.
     
  6. Good_Times

    Good_Times Kalahari Sandhaai

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2012
    Messages:
    928
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Upington
    In an aquarium book I have they say that Flying Foxes as well as Blue Gourami's will eat planarian worms.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - very small worms Forum Date
Hi everyone New members Dec 31, 2024
Newbie but a very oldie actually New members Oct 13, 2024
GOOD DAY EVERYONE New members Jan 16, 2022
Hello everyone New members Jan 15, 2022
Hello everyone :) New members Jan 10, 2022
Water everywhere! Filtration Jun 18, 2021
Hello everybody :) New members Mar 17, 2021

Share This Page