UV Light?

Discussion in 'General Equipment discussion' started by Shrimp lover, Apr 7, 2014.

  1. Shrimp lover

    Shrimp lover

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2013
    Messages:
    173
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Bloemfontein
    Hi all I have a question that some of you guys might find idiotic to say the least but it has been knowing at me since Friday and I am still nowhere near to know for sure. So here goes: I would like to know if the bulbs used in those little currency checkers are the same as the ones used in the UV sterilisers used in reef tanks. Will appreciate if someone can shed some light so to speak on the matter.

    Regards:
    Shaun
     
  2. Guest




  3. butcherman

    butcherman Administrator

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2009
    Messages:
    1,584
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Edenvale
    No the money checker is a black light or uv-a if you will the Uv in a steriliser is a UV-c or germicidal globe.

    the money cheker you can stair at for hours no problem the Germicidal globe will give you sun burn and arc-eyes.
     
  4. OP
    Shrimp lover

    Shrimp lover

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2013
    Messages:
    173
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Bloemfontein
    HEHEHE would not like the arc eyes. Thanks butcherman. Where can I get a hold of one of those UV-c globes? Will a normal lighting specialist shop keep them in stock?
     
  5. Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    Not just arc eyes. UV-C causes skin cancer. These globes are always enclosed so you can't be exposed. I have only ever seen them enclosed in some kind of unit.
     
  6. OP
    Shrimp lover

    Shrimp lover

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2013
    Messages:
    173
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Bloemfontein
    I know about the cancer, but thanks for the heads up Jenn You are apparently able to enclose them in quartz tube and then enclose it as a unit in plastic that can not be seen through in order to make your own UV sterilizer.
     
  7. JJFury

    JJFury

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2013
    Messages:
    407
    Likes Received:
    11
    Just remember to use proper outdoor rated plastic, which is UV stabilised. I assume the quartz is meant to absorb any UV before it reaches the plastic, but still...

    You can also maybe ask around for replacement globes used in electronic PCB prototyping machines.

    Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk
     
  8. butcherman

    butcherman Administrator

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2009
    Messages:
    1,584
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Edenvale
    i know the lamphouse stocks them,
     
  9. OP
    Shrimp lover

    Shrimp lover

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2013
    Messages:
    173
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Bloemfontein
    That is a very good point thank you Fury
     
  10. Andrewv

    Andrewv

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2013
    Messages:
    204
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Germistom Gauteng
    Hi Chaps, I am running an UV Sterilizer on my setup. The Quartz tube around the UV globe/tube is there to allow the UV rays to pass through at maximum strength and to make the unit waterproof and keep water way from the electrical parts. Normal glass disturbs the UV-c from doing its job properly. It however does nothing for the PVC housing, that is why you HAVE to use a UV stabilized enclosure to house the UV-c Tube in. Other wise in a few months the enclosure will disintegrate and you will be in a serious situation. If any one needs info a a good but cheap (Not Lab quality) unit you can PM me. I have had Three different units on my 285L tank and the last unit is the best for my purpose. Why I went through three unit is because with the first unit the Quartz tube inside the unit broke, this unit was a nice compact unit but I could not get a replacement Quartz tube. I went back to the LFS and they replaced if with the second unit different to the first but without a tube. I could not get a tube for that unit. I complained to the LFS owner and it was replaced with the third unit. This unit does NOT have a quartz inner tube but rather uses the UV tube as it's tube. A far better solution. The replacement UV-c tubes are also far less in price. The only draw back is this unit is much larger than the other two units. UV setup on an aquarium has it's pros and cons. I believe it has far more pros to it. For any info contact me via PM.

    Cheers
    Andrewv.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Light Forum Date
Dooa Sol light General Equipment discussion Sep 16, 2025
Moon light / night light General Discussions Jun 13, 2025
Temu "Seven Master" 58cm LED light review Equipment Reviews Apr 16, 2025
Wanted: 90cm aquarium light Wanted/Swop/Freebies Oct 11, 2024
Wanted: Looking for a 90cm light Wanted/Swop/Freebies Sep 28, 2024
Starlight plecos L183 General Discussions Sep 10, 2024
Wanted: Zetlight Lancia 2 590 Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jul 3, 2024

Share This Page