Unwanted Commet spawn.... but why not?

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Cheetah, Feb 13, 2011.

  1. Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    It has been some time since my Commets have spawned, (my doing)..... but since I sold all of my fish recently, (Plants not included),..... I chucked all of the excess plants into their tank.

    About an hour later, I peeked through the door of the fish room, and noticed that the addition of the extra plants to their tank, stimulated them to have a mass spawning.......

    Not knowing how long they've been "at it"...... I kept an eye out and when it seemed like they stopped...... I removed all of them to another (bare) tank.

    It then appeared that they were not finished yet...... Spawning continued in their new tank as well..... I quickly added some plants in their new domain and kept an eye out for when they would stop and start eating the eggs.

    In the past, the prospects of having a new brood of Commets was just not acceptable..... (I would probably have flushed the eggs).... but now, since I have 40 tanks available with no fish in them...... I let it be!.... (I gave them another 2 hours & then removed them to another (3rd) tank)…..& without missing a beat...... they just carried on spawning in this tank as well..... As it was late already, I was not setting my alarm to watch further activities, so... whatever came next had to be.

    3 days later, & I’m the proud daddy of a few (100 or so) commet fry….. should’ve been 1,000 or more, but snails ate most the eggs……. Not the top of my priority list of fish to breed (now), but since I got the available space…… Why not let them be.
     
  2. Guest




  3. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Geez Cheetah, I wish I had your water!!!
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Unwanted Commet spawn Forum Date
Wanted: Looking for any unwanted driftwood in Eastrand area Wanted/Swop/Freebies Dec 6, 2023
Wanted: Wanted unwanted snails Wanted/Swop/Freebies Apr 17, 2021
Wanted: Looking for unwanted snails in Centurion area Wanted/Swop/Freebies Apr 12, 2019
Wanted: Any unwanted 5ft Wanted/Swop/Freebies Nov 6, 2018
Freebie: Gravel (mixed) unwanted Wanted/Swop/Freebies May 21, 2017
Wanted: Unwanted tanks Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 27, 2017
Wanted: Any unwanted plants Wanted/Swop/Freebies Nov 20, 2013

Share This Page