Unhappy with treatment of Bettas at LFS

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by halfway, Jan 16, 2015.

  1. halfway

    halfway

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2011
    Messages:
    105
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Alberton, Gauteng
    Something that gets my blood boiling is the storage and display of bettas in almost all pet shops. You are confronted by numbers of these poor guys lying motionless in plastic containers. Whilst I cant accuse any of the LFS's of cruelty, surely to goodness the display of these fish could be enhanced by building a tank with many separate departments? I was in one of the prominent sponsors shop during the week and must say I left unhappy after seeing the way these fish are treated.
     
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  2. Guest




  3. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    With you on this. I learned not to start arguing with them about it because they don't really care. I now just tell the first person that ask if they can assist that I wanted to buy some fish or equipment but seeing how they treat the bettas I changed my mind.
     
  4. Sash

    Sash

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2014
    Messages:
    515
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Midrand
    Dont forget that they all don't know for sure the strains they sell to you. Some will even insist on a certain type (eg Halfmoon) just to get you to pay the higher price. @halfway I think I know
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    lets get together and send them a letter?
     
  6. dorff

    dorff

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2014
    Messages:
    258
    Likes Received:
    94
    Location:
    Hartbeespoort
    I was in the Fourways area this weekend, having to fulfil a promise to buy my two kids each a fighter fish for their separate aquaria. Well, same story, dozens of polytops with barely 100 ml of water in them, and several fish looking like death is only an inch away. I managed to find two fish that were okay, but it left me feeling guilty for supporting the practice. Even my kids (5 and 8 y/o), asked how it is possible to keep fish like that. I honestly didn't have an answer for them.
     
  7. Pieter Geldenhuys

    Pieter Geldenhuys

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2014
    Messages:
    245
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Boksburg
    It is bad the way these fish get treated and its the same every where you go
     
  8. Jwh

    Jwh

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2014
    Messages:
    1,737
    Likes Received:
    97
    Location:
    Pretoria
    I find it truly offensive and disgusting, some of these fish are in containers that probably do not contain more than 250ml of tepid water, mostly PET jars, with probably few if any water changes. The only way to change this is to find an acceptable standard from a recognised source and/or expert on how these fish are meant to be kept, and inform shops of this.

    My experience when raising this with shops, has been a shrug of the shoulders, and a (mental) middle finger.

    An initiative such as this would have to have the backing of a group like TASA, SPCA, or a significant number of its members, so it packs some punch. If shops ignore the legitimate standards, then name, shame, use of social media, and boycott offenders until the practise changes.

    Yesterday I went into a pet shop to get some tubing, I had a colleague with me who has no interest in fish, he spotted the Betta's and was truly horrified.
     
  9. Jwh

    Jwh

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2014
    Messages:
    1,737
    Likes Received:
    97
    Location:
    Pretoria
  10. RaXoR_ZA

    RaXoR_ZA

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2014
    Messages:
    112
    Likes Received:
    37
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    Agreed!

    I have been to pet shops all over Gauteng and the conditions the bettas are kept in are horrifying so say the least. These "temporary homes" are not maintained properly if at all. 98% of the bettas I have come across either have clamped fin, sbd, fin rot or some sort of disease (not being treated). Claiming to be the best betta retailer is one thing, but to do so and sell dying fish to the public is another.

    Surely, if the fish are kept in a healthy environment they would look more appealing and in turn the lfs will sell more of them as well.

    I have found 1 pet shop in the westrand that supports this, they keep 1 betta per display (60 liter) tank with comparable fish. They even have dumbo bettas, picking mine up tomorrow :)
     
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  11. SterlingAce

    SterlingAce

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2013
    Messages:
    765
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Pet Stop has a nice setup for their bettas with filtration and all. Much better than the small jars.
     
  12. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    Spare a thought of the supply chain - but yeah it does seem like we missed the boat on what is OK treatment of bettas in ZAF.

    betta1.jpg

    Later Ferdie

    betta1.jpg
     
  13. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    As long as people keep buying they will keep supplying.
     
  14. Quakeszn

    Quakeszn

    Joined:
    May 16, 2014
    Messages:
    464
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Durban,South Africa
    I say some planted 1ft tanks with heater and filter +20% daily water change sounds good and is appealing to customers.Throw in an exotic Betta and voisla complete setup sold.
     
  15. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    The big difference in ZAF betta males selling and what I have seen in thailand, malasia, singapore, hong kong, we sell them from plastic jars - they do the display in glass, you get the plastic bottle to take your beta home with you and then it was white non-translucent jars. The reason why I noticed this - and took the pic - females typically get sold from bags like loads of other fish ...

    Females in the right and middle bags

    bettafemale.jpg

    Later Ferdie

    bettafemale.jpg

    bettafemale.jpg
     
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Unhappy treatment Bettas Forum Date
Unhappy Cichlids General Discussions Jul 18, 2013
UnHappy with APPLE Advert airing on TV General Discussions Jul 27, 2012
Ich treatment - conflicting info Diseases Sep 14, 2022
Preventative treatment for new fish General Discussions Jun 6, 2021
Ick treatment General Discussions Nov 6, 2020
RSS Feed Blue-Green Algae (Cyanobacteria) Aquarium Treatment RSS Feeds Nov 4, 2020
RSS Feed Staghorn Algae (Causes And Treatment) RSS Feeds Oct 29, 2020

Share This Page