UnHappy with APPLE Advert airing on TV

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by tlchidau, Jul 27, 2012.

  1. tlchidau

    tlchidau TMAN

    Joined:
    May 23, 2011
    Messages:
    183
    Likes Received:
    29
    Location:
    Randburg
    Have any of you Guys came across the new Apple advert about Iphones and Mac laptops, being aired on RSA TV:questionmark: At the end of the advert there is a small Goldfish in a Bowl my wife was irritated by that and will i be called insane for trying to get the advert pulled off air till they cut that scene?
    My wife have already started drafting a few documents to a few organisations to help with the Campaign Against Animal Cruelty :confused::confused::(:questionmark::questionmark::questionmark:
     
  2. Guest




  3. Bazil

    Bazil Bazil

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,593
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Sasolburg
    Not seen it yet. Will look out for it. All I can say is fishes are not as well considered in the animal world. Many people regard them as disposables.
     
  4. Firefly

    Firefly Pleco

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    Messages:
    2,333
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    East London
    Yes I saw this one too. It's in a few adds, the ones that advertise the glass recycling thing. Also was wondering if someone could lay a charge.
     
  5. Good_Times

    Good_Times Kalahari Sandhaai

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2012
    Messages:
    928
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Upington
  6. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    I'm probably going to get shouted down but you can't see very much of the fish and bowl. I know fish bowls aren't great which is why I got rid of mine after a week but is it worth the headache to make a big deal about it. The instant fish in a box ad from Verimark(???) is a lot worse.

    Maybe they should have put a disclaimer at the end - "No goldfish were hurt during the making of this ad" or "Keeping golfish in bowls is not good practice"
     
  7. Fonkie

    Fonkie Nelis

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2009
    Messages:
    213
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Potchefstroom
    According to the video in this thread with all the respect what is the problem its a goldfish in a bowl or am i missing something here.

    F
     
  8. OP
    tlchidau

    tlchidau TMAN

    Joined:
    May 23, 2011
    Messages:
    183
    Likes Received:
    29
    Location:
    Randburg
    @Fonkie like Marchawke said Maybe they should have put a disclaimer at the end - "No goldfish were hurt during the making of this ad" or "Keeping golfish in bowls is not good practice"
    its all about alertness.
    People may be doing it but it doesnt mean its okay.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  9. Fonkie

    Fonkie Nelis

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2009
    Messages:
    213
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Potchefstroom
    Ok now i understand - thought it was something to do with harming the fish.
     
  10. tracyp

    tracyp Lotus

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1,619
    Likes Received:
    31
    Location:
    Stanford, Western Cape
    @Good_Times - thanks for posting the vid - I am someone who doesn't own a tv - gasp! - so that helped.

    Its just not on. I'll stand behind any protest that is launched... I know we're all fishcakes and know better than that, but Apple is big enough to have checked the content of their ads... that's subliminally saying its fine to have a collie on a chain... etc. I wont support animal cruelty in any form.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  11. DewaldC

    DewaldC Magikarp

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2012
    Messages:
    1,867
    Likes Received:
    28
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    You can barely see it ,but it is wrong .
     
  12. OP
    tlchidau

    tlchidau TMAN

    Joined:
    May 23, 2011
    Messages:
    183
    Likes Received:
    29
    Location:
    Randburg
  13. Good_Times

    Good_Times Kalahari Sandhaai

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2012
    Messages:
    928
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Upington
    Sometimes I think this might be better, with all the negative news and media.
    But who needs a tv anyway when you've got a nice fish tank and TASA for entertainment all day.
     
  14. symphysodon

    symphysodon aquifasciatus

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2012
    Messages:
    80
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Gezina Pta
    i am sssssssoooooooooooooo against it!! i wish people would realise thats so wrong! i hate bowls!! and believe it or not,i still get people asking me why they have 2 go through so much trouble keeping fish? i mean . .seriously! i explained to them that fish were NEVER meant to be kept in a tank never mind a bowl!! so in order for us 2 keep our wet friends happy . . we have to make sure their every condition are taken care of and love them to bits . .the way all of us on the forum do!!
     
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  15. DesertConvert

    DesertConvert Toad

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2011
    Messages:
    571
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Can't see the ad anymore..."Account Suspended". Probably rights violation or something like that...

    OK, so let me be the evil one here...Disclaimer: I do NOT condone keeping fish in a bowl...now that I've cleared that...

    I don't believe that pulling the ad will in any way make anyone realise that keeping a fish in a bowl is wrong. To achieve that, we would need to launch an awareness campaign. I understand the whole subliminal messaging argument, but we're so bombarded by that anyway I doubt a brief glimpse of a goldfish in a bowl will have much impact. Be that as it may...I reckon the best place to start such a campaign would be in/at pet stores.

    1.) Pet stores should no longer sell goldfish bowls
    2.) Pet stores should have large posters/signs stating something like: "The minimum water requirement of a fish Xcm long is X Liters...". A few examples should be added to make it easier for consumers to grasp the scales (pun not intended). Then add something for the conscience: "Please consider the well-being of your fish when making a purchase. A goldfish in a bowl is considered to be animal cruelty."
     
  16. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    I went to a wedding (some good friends of me and the Mrs) and on every table, there was a goldfish in a large wine glass!
    I was thinking of complaining, but thought it may have repercussions for our friends, so I didn't in the end. Ultimately, it was the caterer/hotel's fault, but you never know.
     
  17. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    @Reedfish - Did you at least nick the goldfish and take it home. I want to attend a wedding where they are handing out free fish. Problem his half my friends would have accidently drunk it and the others might have thought it was like the worm in Tequila. :wink:
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  18. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    @MarcHawke,

    No I didn't. Don't have anywhere to keep them! (All my tanks are tropical). So the poor fish wouldn't have been in a better situation.
    I like to think that after the wedding, they were returned to a nice big tank.
     
  19. Mariette

    Mariette

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2012
    Messages:
    24
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queenswood Pretoria
    That is not the only ad on tv featuring a goldfish in a bowl. What about the fedhealth ad? The one where the little boy even taps the side of the fishbowl.
     
  20. OP
    tlchidau

    tlchidau TMAN

    Joined:
    May 23, 2011
    Messages:
    183
    Likes Received:
    29
    Location:
    Randburg
    Yep i did see that also. With the first advert the response was the Company took note of our emails and apparently that advert havent been aired for some days. According to the company the advert wasnt meant to be used for longtime but just for a certain time.
    My intentions were just to get the message out that "Goldfish in a bowl is considered to be animal cruelty". Hope people will get the message
     
  21. Good_Times

    Good_Times Kalahari Sandhaai

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2012
    Messages:
    928
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Upington
    Saw it last night, sad.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - UnHappy APPLE Advert Forum Date
Unhappy with treatment of Bettas at LFS General Discussions Jan 16, 2015
Unhappy Cichlids General Discussions Jul 18, 2013
RSS Feed Anacharis: Source Of Food For Goldfish, Cichlids, And Apple Snails RSS Feeds Aug 6, 2020
Wanted: Apple snails Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jun 24, 2020
Bloated apple snail Diseases Mar 21, 2020
Apple Snail advice Community Tanks May 13, 2019
Digging apple snail General Discussions Mar 20, 2019

Share This Page