Trying To Cut Glass Here Turning out to be expensive venture!

Discussion in 'Anything DIY related' started by Cheetah, Aug 5, 2010.

  1. Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    Got myself one tungsten Glass cutter... sheet of 4mm glass....60cm x 60cm sq....

    At least I've still got the glasscutter in one piece.... I'm trying to build a photography tank here...

    I've watched them... they make it look so easy... (what is the trick)?... have to go back now & get another sheet of glass.

    Do your glass suppliers cut for you, or do you just buy a standard piece of glass off the shelf and then have to cut for yourself?
     
  2. Guest




  3. thysie

    thysie

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2009
    Messages:
    611
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    BOKSBURG
    Whats the proses you are going by
     
  4. OP
    Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    Very much like I've seen them do it.... I draw a line where I want to cut.... Put a ruler along the line... swoop my cutter along the line (with some pressure) and then.... I "try" to break it along that line with catastrophical results.
     
  5. thysie

    thysie

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2009
    Messages:
    611
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    BOKSBURG
    You have to use some sort of lube I used turps.Brush it over the line where you going to cut

    Its going to cost you some practice to get the presure right
    break it over a edge it works best
     
  6. stormbringer101

    stormbringer101 ARO

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2009
    Messages:
    700
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    JHB CONSTANTIA KLOOF
    have you oiled the blade of the cutter I remember having the same problem and then i applied linseed oil in frustration and it cut ?
     
  7. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Dip the cutter into turps. Turps is oil based and will lube the blade. Then run the cutter over your line ONLY ONCE. If you do it more than once, it tends to break the glass.

    ALternately, get your supplier to cut it to size for you. It's usually very cheap this way.
     
  8. Bufamotis

    Bufamotis

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2009
    Messages:
    1,852
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Zevoland
    i have a self lubricating blade with oil reservoir, draw a line, turpentine the line with a brush, steel ruler just offside the line, keep blade 90deg perpendicular to sheet, push down slightly hard as i pull from edge to edge. Then move cut over edge and snap down with slight pressure. Alternatively i place my steel ruler, its got about 8mm height and a soft padded side, below the cut on flat surface and press down on cut end if its a short piece. The shorter panels are harder to separate
     
  9. Oscar

    Oscar

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2010
    Messages:
    53
    Likes Received:
    0
    Use turps or thinners

    When you buy your glass ask them to cut it to size.
    Cutting glass best left the professionals unless you have glass you don't mind throwing glass in the bin.
    Glass can be pricey.
    I learned how to cut glass by practice.
    I wanted to build a tank 1500L*600W*700H it was going to cost me R1750:blink1:
    Cheaper to buy one.
    Practice makes perfect.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Trying Glass Here Forum Date
Cabinet builder JHB- trying again General Equipment discussion Sep 19, 2024
Trying our hand at Betta breeding Breeding Nov 25, 2023
I'm trying my hand at breeding Amano Shrimp! General Discussions Jul 29, 2021
Trying hard! New members May 4, 2021
Trying to find a home for a pleco General Discussions Dec 31, 2018
Trying something new - propagation Anything DIY related Aug 22, 2015
Trying to make my planted tank more efficient Anything DIY related Apr 30, 2015

Share This Page