Tropical vs Tetra Foods

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ROEKSTE, Apr 20, 2014.

  1. E&C_Aquariums

    E&C_Aquariums

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2014
    Messages:
    40
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Capetown
    Depends on the quality you buy.
     
  2. Guest




  3. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    Yup, good as a treat.
    And also good for getting stubborn fish to eat.
    But not for a staple diet.

    For most fish, a good quality flake or crumb food should provide a balanced diet. With some frozen worms or similar now and then as a treat.
     
  4. E&C_Aquariums

    E&C_Aquariums

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2014
    Messages:
    40
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Capetown
    Everyone has different opinions. You choose the one that works for you. :). Enjoy.
     
  5. Swagasaurus

    Swagasaurus

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2013
    Messages:
    1,707
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Centurion
    Hence: "Obviously you should not feed it everyday."
     
  6. OP
    ROEKSTE

    ROEKSTE

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2011
    Messages:
    840
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    ok guys, you have really high jacket this one in a good way .... but back to the original .... Tropical VS Tetra who know's Tropical and what is your opinion?
     
  7. E&C_Aquariums

    E&C_Aquariums

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2014
    Messages:
    40
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Capetown
    Lopis: tropical flakes. It is a vitamin enriched staple good. High protein fish meal. [​IMG].
     
  8. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    Roekste there cant really be an opinion one should look at the facts. Compare the content off both to see which offers the better quality. For example, I might like how tetra sounds but that does not make it better. At the end the fish needs to benefit from the food no matter what you opinion about it is.

    Pricing and availability will obviously play a big roll.
     
  9. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    Are we talking about TROPICAL - Pokarmy i preparaty akwarystyczne ??? Never seen them in a LFS and if so what exactly are you comparing i.e. what tub with what tub.

    When is comes to fish food ... The first thing I check does it have a best before date if not does it have a manufacturing date, if neither I put it back on the shelf.


    Later Ferdie
     
  10. Skye01

    Skye01

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Rynfield, Benoni. GP
    I personally make my own fish food mix using some of the Tetra, Nutrafin, Aqua-Plus, Pro's Choice & Sera food products which I then customise for each type of fish that I'm then feeding... It doesn't help if I put guppy granules in with the food for my very large Kissing Gourami's, they aren't even interested in such fine food....

    BTW I have to feed my BGK the cheap (Campcon) blood worm, he doesn't enjoy the more fancy types of frozen food that I've bought for him in the past, he literally throws it out of his ship, and refuses to eat it. So he gets fed blood worm at least twice a week, to give him a break from his very expensive bottom feeder pellets that he gets every night... HTH...
     
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  11. Chongkie

    Chongkie

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Pietermaritzburg
    Sorry for going off topic..

    What cichlids do you actually have? I know you have the blood parrot cichlid and ? If South American, then a high protein diet is good for them. But if african cichlids, especially Mbunas (the most common), they are mostly herbivours and their intestinal tracts are much much longer than the basic fish, and they cannot handle a too high protein rich food or they will get "Malawi Bloat". Recommended food should be a high vegatable based or Spirulina based foods. with fresh veg as a supplement, aka cucumber, etc.

    Ok, back on topic. Im slightly confused with this "Tropical vs Tetra foods" thread. Are you guys comparing the basic "Tropical flakes" with the branded "Tetra" tropical flakes?
     
  12. E&C_Aquariums

    E&C_Aquariums

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2014
    Messages:
    40
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Capetown
    African chiclids
     
  13. Chongkie

    Chongkie

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Pietermaritzburg
    Oic, do you know the exact species? @E&C_Aquariums, I've noticed that most of the common malawi cichlids are locally bred, and would have adapted to feeding on a high protein based food. I feed my Mbuna the Omega One / Sea - Veggie pellets with Omega one cichlid pellets (a 50/50 mix). Now I also feed them the Nutrafin Cichlid Spirulina sticks (very high in Spirulina), and I've noticed that they do not like it as much as the Omega one, which is higher in protein than the Nutrafin[FONT=arial, sans-serif].[/FONT]
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  14. Marco

    Marco Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    May 24, 2010
    Messages:
    2,015
    Likes Received:
    287
    Location:
    Waverley Pretoria
    [​IMG]

    I think this is what Roekste is referring to.
    I have never seen this brand of dry food in SA. Maybe someone has?
    As far as I know Santarem Discus (Brazil) claim to feed their Discus 'Tropical' foods only.
    As to which is best?
    No idea, but bear in mind that Tropical has a few different ranges with different "values". So make sure you are comparing apples with apples.

    As to bloodworm and the other derailings of the thread - wither Kate beckinsale is prettier than Megan Fox is a matter of OPINION....
    Wither bloodworm is a crappy food if high nutritional value is sought....well that is FACT - Scientific fact- you can argue and opinionate about it as much as you like - any opinion does not change the fact.
    @ROEKSTE - to my knowledge a very good line of dry food available in SA (from Altum) is 'New Life Spectrum'.
    It is probably the best "shelf-food" I'd estimate.
    Dirks dry foods are also very good and well priced.
    I dont like feeding Tetra Prima. Its only an OPINION based on past experience that it tends to cause blockage very easily. I have lost Discus to intestinal blockages and it was always at times when I fed Prima. Then again....Danziger fed only Tetra Prima so what do I know

    Rgds

    Marco
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  15. OP
    ROEKSTE

    ROEKSTE

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2011
    Messages:
    840
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
  16. OP
    ROEKSTE

    ROEKSTE

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2011
    Messages:
    840
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Thanks Marco This is what i have been looking for. If one can compare Flakes to flakes and Bits to Bits that will be nice. BUT if the food is not in the country then we are heading to a dead end in anyway.
     
  17. E&C_Aquariums

    E&C_Aquariums

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2014
    Messages:
    40
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Capetown
    Chiclid bits can be fed to most tropical fish.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Tropical Tetra Foods Forum Date
Tetra Special for tropical guys! What a saving! Dorry Pets Dec 10, 2013
Tetra - Tropical Value Pack General Discussions May 26, 2011
Tropical Fishroom Tour at Jungle Aquatics Jungle Aquatics Oct 24, 2023
Wanted: Tropical fish for multiple planted aquariums Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jul 14, 2022
Wanted: Beginner tropical fish wanted Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jan 17, 2021
RSS Feed Paradise Fish Care Guide: Tropical and Colorful Species RSS Feeds Jul 21, 2020
RSS Feed Cabomba Care Guide: Popular Tropical And Freshwater Plant RSS Feeds Apr 2, 2020

Share This Page