Tropical vs Tetra Foods

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ROEKSTE, Apr 20, 2014.

  1. ROEKSTE

    ROEKSTE

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2011
    Messages:
    840
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    I have been surfing the web to see who is feeding what food. I would like know out of my old time preverance Tetra Bits. Is Tropical a good food aswell? I like a bit type food rather than a flake type food.
     
  2. Guest




  3. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    Have you checked the ingredients of both foods?
     
  4. OP
    ROEKSTE

    ROEKSTE

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2011
    Messages:
    840
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Not yet... Want to get personal opions.
     
  5. Swagasaurus

    Swagasaurus

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2013
    Messages:
    1,707
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Centurion
    I mix my Tetra Bits with Ocean Nutrient flakes and fighting fish pellets. Fish seem to enjoy it.
     
  6. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    I personally would feed both for the variety.
     
  7. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    I use Tetra Prima and Tetra Spirulina wafers for my Discus
    They eat it, and seem to be doing well on it (together with the other food I feed them)
     
  8. E&C_Aquariums

    E&C_Aquariums

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2014
    Messages:
    40
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Capetown
    Depends on what type of fish it is. Dry bloodworms can do the trick, depending on the fish you have. I know that chiclids loves dry bloodworms, frozen bloodworms, pieces of banana, cucumber and chiclid pellets. Sometimes I even add some colour enhanched tropical flakes and shrimp.


    All depends on the different types of fish.


    E&C_Aquariums
     
  9. OP
    ROEKSTE

    ROEKSTE

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2011
    Messages:
    840
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Intersting I don't see anyone using Tropical ... The fish i am feeding is Rasboras, Tetra's and Discus\angels.
     
  10. jabula 7749

    jabula 7749 jabula

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2011
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    70
    Location:
    port elizabeth
    Roetske,how many discus do you have?what size are they?just tropical en tetra bits wont be enough,although there are huge breeders that claim they only use tetra bits,they need more of a variaty packed with vitamins!
     
  11. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    Yes. Agree give discus a variety of good foods contact @Marco for some good imported frozen discus food and, @Altum for new life spectrums.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  12. OP
    ROEKSTE

    ROEKSTE

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2011
    Messages:
    840
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    @jabula 7749 - I don't have Discus at the moment but I have some on order (Xingu's, Red Spotted Green's and Wild blue's) that should be comming in the next month or 2.
    @dash - I don't plan to feed them only pellets or flakes. I would like to use these foods as a base feed and then all the frozen's as supplements.

    I see this post as a bit of research to good foods. I have seen many ppl going bonkers about Tropical and I have very good experiances with Tetra aswell. As there is always new things in the hobby being new food or equipment one needs to question if the old is still the best or is there something new that needs to be tried.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  13. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    I am all for mixing it up .. would you want to eat at the SPUR everyday? Actually the best food I have ever had / used is the stuff that Dirk brings in.

    Later Ferdie
     
  14. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    I like tetra as it also more available. P.S bloodworm isn't very good fish food although they love it.
     
  15. E&C_Aquariums

    E&C_Aquariums

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2014
    Messages:
    40
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Capetown
    @ Vis

    Bloodworms seems to be the best protein for my chiclids,guppies,red tail sharks,bala sharks and it is the only thing that my blood parrot chiclid wants to eat. She seems to grow faster, looks more healthier and colourful. I even fed it to my goldfish and black tetras. Not one of them died and I've fed them bloodworms for 2years now.
     
  16. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
  17. E&C_Aquariums

    E&C_Aquariums

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2014
    Messages:
    40
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Capetown
    Sorry. Just saying what works best for my aquarium. Just my opinion :). Everyone has different ideas.
     
  18. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban


    Hi sorry to go off topic but, blood worms have very little or know protein or nutritional value for fish. I stand to be corrected but, bloodworms are used as roughage and to stimulate fish to eat. Once in a while it is ok.
     
  19. Swagasaurus

    Swagasaurus

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2013
    Messages:
    1,707
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Centurion
    @dash: Blood worms are a high protein diet. Approximately 60 percent of their dry weight is protein so they pretty much compare to tubifex worms in that regard. And depending on the brand they actually add extra nutrients like Ocean Nutrients do: Bloodworms, Fish Nutrition, Aqua Yums, Aquarium Food, San Diego The nutritional content is 55% protein, 3% fat, and 5% fiber. Obviously you should not feed it everyday but it has nutritional value.
     
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  20. E&C_Aquariums

    E&C_Aquariums

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2014
    Messages:
    40
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Capetown
    Best for breeding too. Chiclids breed much faster.
     
  21. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    Yes dry weight. Now take the average blood worm blister pack sold in SA, unfreeze it and dry it out. You will have to buy packs and packs of the stuff to get to the same value of nutrition as say a good granule food.

    My opinion blood worm as frozen food is not very good. I am not saying its useless though but definitely not a staple diet.
     
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Tropical Tetra Foods Forum Date
Tetra Special for tropical guys! What a saving! Dorry Pets Dec 10, 2013
Tetra - Tropical Value Pack General Discussions May 26, 2011
Tropical Fishroom Tour at Jungle Aquatics Jungle Aquatics Oct 24, 2023
Wanted: Tropical fish for multiple planted aquariums Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jul 14, 2022
Wanted: Beginner tropical fish wanted Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jan 17, 2021
RSS Feed Paradise Fish Care Guide: Tropical and Colorful Species RSS Feeds Jul 21, 2020
RSS Feed Cabomba Care Guide: Popular Tropical And Freshwater Plant RSS Feeds Apr 2, 2020

Share This Page