Tropical life in the Northern Cape??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Cheetah, Jun 19, 2012.

  1. Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    Ek sit hier aan die gatkant van die wereld and consequently.... I have no access to breeding stocks and/or equipment and also no market to get rid of my fish should I decide to indulge into breeding (like I used to in Welkom and Rustenburg)...... So I am currently just a fish keeper with no enthusiasm or aspirations and I merely concentrate on the basic maintenance of what stocks and equipment I have.

    At the end of October, I will be retiring and moving to Kimberley, which in my opinion will be even further away from the big Centres and tropical active areas....

    Do we have any members here from Northern Cape who can enlighten me and set the scenes of what to expect when I get there??..... Are there sufficient pet stores in Kimberley (or surrounds).... are they knowledgable and keep adequate stocks??..... Is there enough interested hobyists in the Northern Cape to consider get togethers (or clubs)..... I will appreciate any information.....
     
  2. Guest




  3. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    @Good_Times is from there....remember him posting some pics from his LFS once that had some very interesting fish,a Panda Garra nogal....
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  4. len.weideman

    len.weideman Planted tanks intrigue me

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2012
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Cape Town
    LOL..... Well Bloemfontein is just 90 minutes drive away. But don't expect to get much here either. Well, not yet. Oneday when I am big, i will open a decent LFS here
     
  5. OP
    Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    I also know that whilst I lived in Welkom and Rustenburg... I could do direct water changes from tap..... whereas here where I am now, .... I have extra containers to store water (at least 3 weeks in advance) before making any water changes.... What is the situation with Kimberley tap water.....??
     
  6. Good_Times

    Good_Times Kalahari Sandhaai

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2012
    Messages:
    928
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Upington
    A large part of the NC has limestone (kalk banke) and as a result I reckon our water is pretty hard too. I've never actually tested the pH GH or KH but I know how easily dried up water drops form limescale on the fishtanks, and the small filters inside sprinkler heads also clog up from lime.

    So maybe the same might ring true for Kimberly.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Tropical life Northern Forum Date
Tropical Fishroom Tour at Jungle Aquatics Jungle Aquatics Oct 24, 2023
Wanted: Tropical fish for multiple planted aquariums Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jul 14, 2022
Wanted: Beginner tropical fish wanted Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jan 17, 2021
RSS Feed Paradise Fish Care Guide: Tropical and Colorful Species RSS Feeds Jul 21, 2020
RSS Feed Cabomba Care Guide: Popular Tropical And Freshwater Plant RSS Feeds Apr 2, 2020
Swop: African cichlids for peaceful tropicals Wanted/Swop/Freebies Aug 12, 2019
Books on tropical fish, plants, scaping and HT tanks Beginner Discussions Jul 17, 2019

Share This Page