Too many Guppies.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Barrymore, Jan 14, 2015.

  1. Barrymore

    Barrymore

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2009
    Messages:
    160
    Likes Received:
    4
    About six months ago I made a breeding tank as I read that pregnant female guppies need to be isolated
    and removed immediately after giving birth as they were prone to eating the offspring.
    I have since discovered that all this is not necessary as each week more and more guppies appear in the tank.
    There are now too many to count and I feel that I need to do something to limit continued breeding as the tank is
    becoming over crowded.
    One option would be to transfer some into my big tank where my large fish would have a tasty treat, but could this be considered wise or cruel?
     
  2. Guest




  3. Sash

    Sash

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2014
    Messages:
    515
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Midrand
    Many ways to look at that. Some will say cruel, some will say circle of life, some will say you are adding it to be fresh meat. IMO, start seperating the males and females. Whoever is still preggies, let them be so. Once they drop, put them in the growout and see what to do from there. Also keep in mind there are people who breed guppies to use as food for many different types of fish.

    Goodluck
     
  4. Pieter Geldenhuys

    Pieter Geldenhuys

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2014
    Messages:
    245
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Boksburg
    You could always sell them sure there are people looking for healthy guppies out there
     
  5. OP
    Barrymore

    Barrymore

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2009
    Messages:
    160
    Likes Received:
    4
    Could I take them to a pet shop and sell them on the spot without having an existing supply contract with them?
     
  6. Pieter Geldenhuys

    Pieter Geldenhuys

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2014
    Messages:
    245
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Boksburg
    I have no idea bud you could give it a try or sell them on the forum.

    I might be interested to take a couple off you hand where are you based
     
  7. gdt78

    gdt78

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2011
    Messages:
    620
    Likes Received:
    5
    Location:
    Jhb - East rand
    What do they look like ?
    In which area are you situated ?
    Would you sell a few ?
     
  8. OP
    Barrymore

    Barrymore

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2009
    Messages:
    160
    Likes Received:
    4
    I'm in Durban North, a bit far for you.
    I have three small Albino Widows sharing my large tank with a number of large Silver Dollars and an extra large
    Tinfoil barb for six months now and they have not been eaten as I was informed they would be. Just maybe, guppies
    will survive in the same tank.
     
  9. gdt78

    gdt78

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2011
    Messages:
    620
    Likes Received:
    5
    Location:
    Jhb - East rand
    Nooo, One don't put silver dollars with guppies in the same tank.

    Thats just wrong.
     
  10. RoGe

    RoGe

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2014
    Messages:
    630
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Pinetown
    Dude, I've been having a bad experience with guppies from the lps recently.. My wife has now made me promise not to change anything in the tank for at least a month, just to let everything stabilize.. But I'm in Toti and work in umhlanga, in a month or two I'd be keen to take maybe 6 juvenile guppies off you (happy to pay) depending on how things go..
     
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  11. hhawarden

    hhawarden

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2012
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    My guppies are also breeding like wildfire. There must be 30+ babies in the tank now. You can have them all if you fetch them in Joburg, Rosebank. I am willing to give them away to anyone who needs feeder fish or has a big tank for breeding guppies.
     
  12. Pieter Geldenhuys

    Pieter Geldenhuys

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2014
    Messages:
    245
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Boksburg
    I will take them bud can collect tomorrow

    Let me know
     
  13. Quue

    Quue

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2012
    Messages:
    605
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hello @Barrymore where abouts are you in SA? there is always a demand for healthy guppies and myself included would take some off your hands and i know a few local pet stores that would take them off your hands... you might not become rich but you would put some money in your pocket and free up some space without feeding them to bigger fish ;)
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  14. OP
    Barrymore

    Barrymore

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2009
    Messages:
    160
    Likes Received:
    4
    Durban North
     
  15. OP
    Barrymore

    Barrymore

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2009
    Messages:
    160
    Likes Received:
    4
    The tank is not yet overcrowded. Another month or two then some can go.
     
  16. Quue

    Quue

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2012
    Messages:
    605
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Cape Town
    i think visit you LPS and ask them if they would be willing to take some off your hands for credit or cash... i know a few up in Joburg that do that
     
  17. hhawarden

    hhawarden

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2012
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    Hi Pieter,
    I won't be at home tomorrow at that time. We can maybe make a plan next week or on Sunday maybe.
     
  18. woestynbaber

    woestynbaber

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2014
    Messages:
    339
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    limpopo
    just note that guppies can jump like crazy, so hope your tank has a complete lid, and if you decide to feed them as treats, gut load them with some flaked food so that they atleast have some value, live food has many benefits, not cruel at all but keep it moderate, as to not put your fish of prosesed foods. i feed my fish guppys now and then and they love it
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - many Guppies Forum Date
How many guppies?. Livebearers Apr 4, 2013
How many Guppies in a 40 litre tank General Discussions Dec 28, 2011
A work in progress - many questions! Planted Tanks Jun 30, 2022
RSS Feed Freshwater Clams: The Many Different Kinds With Their Care Guides RSS Feeds Apr 21, 2020
Wanted: Germany blue rams Wanted/Swop/Freebies Oct 22, 2019
How many species do you keep now? General Discussions Aug 7, 2017
How many convict cichlids is ok in my 40L tank Cichlids Feb 13, 2017

Share This Page