Tiny Tank Ideas

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Jay, Oct 22, 2013.

  1. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hi Jay. A few easy low tech plants are Vallis, Java Ferns, Amazon Swords, Anubias, Moss. 24 degrees is fine. I think the plant you have is micranthemum umbrosum (google to check). As to the scape, the rock on the right seems out wrong. The position looks good. Can you get another one like the left only bigger? Marc
     
  2. Guest




  3. OP
    Jay

    Jay

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2012
    Messages:
    471
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Boksburg Gauteng
    @Hawk

    by this do you mean the look of the rocks differ, if so, I agree, I will definitely look in my 'rock inventory' for similar rocks.

    Do you perhaps know what fish and quantity of the species I can keep in the tank, it's a 30L. I'm clueless as to the smaller fish. Trying to broaden my knowledge. I'm looking at getting a betta? Would I have to keep it alone? Or is there space for some sort of tetra or something.

    Thanks for your advice

    Jason
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  4. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Yup. In nature the rocks would be the same type. Try to find another one like the middle one only bigger. This has the potential to be an awesome scape! I would stock that tank with 3-6 Panda or Trilineatus or Pygmy Corydoras, 6 Cardinal Tetra or Harlequin Rasbora and 2-3 Ottocinclus. Marc
     
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  5. OP
    Jay

    Jay

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2012
    Messages:
    471
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Boksburg Gauteng
    @Hawk, thanks for your advice. I was thinking of a HM betta? Apparently jungle aquatics has a couple good looking ones. are these fish not usually introduced into such scapes? I'll look at introducing the plants you recommended earlier. And will read about those fish you just recommended
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    I think you could create lovely scale in that tank if you looked at small fish. Betta's sort of distract from your scape as they are a feature of their own in my opinion.
     
  7. OP
    Jay

    Jay

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2012
    Messages:
    471
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Boksburg Gauteng
    I was considering the fish as a 'show piece fish' but you've convinced me already haha. And galaxy rasboras? I'm assuming these are also suitable for this scape?
     
  8. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
  9. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    MTS dude! Get the betta as well :) Put him in the 12l
     
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  10. OP
    Jay

    Jay

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2012
    Messages:
    471
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Boksburg Gauteng
    Hahaha the problem is I'm already running a custom 6foot, and 3 four foots which seem to take a lot of my time!

    im trading in my bigger cichlids and looking to keep my Jardini arow and venture into the planted tank realms.
    So I'm starting off very small.

    But I guess another 12L isn't going to cause any trouble. Next thing you know I'll have 10 of these small tanks strategically placed around the house haha.

    Pill go past a couple pet shops, see if they have a couple galaxies and Cory's in stock

    in regard to this picture (obtained from google images, I will source it correctly). What is the plant used for ground cover?

    sorry for so many questions but thanks for your time

    image.jpg
     
  11. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    I'm not sure. Possibly Hemianthus Micranthemoides. I've never had carpeting plants.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Tiny Tank Ideas Forum Date
Dosing in tiny tanks Planted Tanks Jul 7, 2017
My sons tiny tank General Discussions Nov 4, 2013
competition tank milky looking with tiny lil things in it. Planted Tanks Mar 8, 2012
Ferryman's Tiny Tank Members Systems Sep 11, 2009
Tiny Fish ID Please ID Needed Dec 2, 2019
Tiny "thing" ID ID Needed Aug 30, 2019
Tiny Snail ID ID Needed May 21, 2018

Share This Page