Hi All This morning I woke up to a bit of a thunder storm and got scared my our house( or my tank would get hit by lighting.... Are there any precautions that can be taken for situations like this? Maybe using a surge protector or something? thanks
Thunder is not a problem lightening is .... but only to your telephone, data cables, and satellite related stuff. It’s always a good practice to have surge protector on the DB box in case of Eskom cable theft (an expensive lesson to learn)
Also use a good multi plug with one of those trip switch thingies. Dont know if it helps for something but i use them
@Khalid - I'm not so sure about your comment. My brothers complex got hit by lightning and blew his tv, dvd player, laptop power block etc. Who installs surge protectors on DB boards?
After they stole the cables in my area, i got an electrician to fit one in. It saved me staxs. So when they did steal the cables it just blows the surge protector. Given i have no electricity until the electrician comes and replaces the blown protector. Just as a precaution i also use the plug protectors for the computers wrt to your brothers complex i would think the earth protection would prevent that, but then i am not an electrician
They do help with appliances you run off them as they have a certain amp rating. As soon as the amps run too high they trip. I know... My beloved house assistant saw an open socket and used it for the gardening team's power supply. When I got home my tank was dead quite. Everything off. Tripped and she just moved the extension cord to another wall socket and didn't know that the little red knoppie resets the plug. I am not sure though if this will still happen when there's a power spike in the current feeding the multi plug itself? :hmm:
With plugs in the UK they have an individual fuse. I wonder if they work better and if they would protect your equipment?
I must get one of those plug protectors, and talk to my dad of those surge protectors, in the end it'll save alot of money in damages
Summer has not as yet started, and we (gauteng) are in for one hell-of-a storm today. It's 15:00 but the sky is as dark as 19:00
I just walked out a meeting in rooderpoort and my goodness I thought I had my meeting till the evening. Which was only 2pm And also thought the lighting was gonna hit me too. Wanted to go to jungle aquatic just couldn't cos the hail and lighting was just too Strong
It feels like I'm working over time here, the traffic is going to be a bummer again this afternoon with this weather
You also wouldn't have been able to go because they are no longer in Roodepoort. They've moved completely to Broadacres now. And on lightening protection.... I love how we humans feel that our little "lightening protectors" plugs etc make us feel that we are adequately protected from lightening. Guys, lightening is electricity that has just arced from way up there down to earth, and we all think that our little fuses and fancy expensive plugs will stop it from going through? The ONLY true LIGHTENING protection is to have your house correctly EARTHED! Meaning lightening will travel straight through and head to EARTH! ALL other fancy gimmicks you buy are SURGE protections... Surges are increases in electricity created by unclean power, or surges from Eskom. Lightening looks for the quickest way to get down to earth... if your house is not correctly earthed... (which is actually done through Eskom) it will travel through your equipment.