The most dumb and dumberrer thing you've done?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by francoisve, Apr 2, 2014.

  1. OP
    francoisve

    francoisve Killinut

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,237
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Milnerton, Cape Town
    O yes, did this as well... :tongue:Luckily wit a cement floor...
     
  2. Guest




  3. Dinky

    Dinky

    Joined:
    May 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,685
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    That's brilliant! You've just made my day!
     
  4. Cle07044

    Cle07044

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2013
    Messages:
    168
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Middelburg Mpumalanga
    Did a water change last week from my 210L plastic drum, half way into water change I realized I might have forgotten the spiral heather on. I quickly ran and to check but toooo late.... Smoke everywhere, the heather already melted the lid and the side of the drum plus tripped some of the plugs in the house. So now I have to get a new drum (cost me R550) and a new heather because the old one fell apart when I touched it.I have to throw away more the 100L of RO water. It will not be easy to get hubby to drill new holes into new drum and add all the fittings to make it ready to use again because he thinks it was really dumb to forget the heather on in the first place….
     
  5. HEIHACHI

    HEIHACHI

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2012
    Messages:
    1,013
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    durban
    Mods hide this thread it does not speak well of us fish keepers lol
     
  6. HEIHACHI

    HEIHACHI

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2012
    Messages:
    1,013
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    durban
    Recently when combining my 2 cannisters combined the intakes put the filters on and wondered why there was no flow into the tank only to find the intakes were lying on the floor behind the tank!!!!
     
  7. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban

    lol! and you never told me about this?
     
  8. Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    LOL - I popped 3 heaters before I learned this lesson :dontknow:
     
  9. Sean_83

    Sean_83

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2014
    Messages:
    222
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Durban
    I was doing a WC a few years ago on my 2 foot and i forgot to keep an eye on the water siphoning into my bucket.. came back to a soaked carpet
     
  10. Franna

    Franna

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2008
    Messages:
    898
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Pretoria East Garsfontein
    Years ago I though it would be nice to dig a very big pond in my moms yard. Dug for hours and Got Liner (Not true Pond Liner). eventually added 8 Guppies I had in a tank. My Husky was very happy that I dug him his own personal pool and eventually he scratched through the liner. I went on a rescue mission to save the 8 guppies and ended up "saving" about 300 - 400 Guppies 300 tadpoles and 50 Frogs. Trying to sleep at night was difficult thanks to all those frogs making noise. I think I have a thread here somewhere regarding this.
     
  11. Sash

    Sash

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2014
    Messages:
    515
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Midrand
    Hmmmm I am a heater case too. About 2 months back, doing a water change I forgot to switch off the heater. Poured in water as normal and wondered if I was given some chinese thing when it POPPED!!!
     
  12. PsyXe

    PsyXe

    Joined:
    May 16, 2012
    Messages:
    891
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    PTA
    I dunno @Franna, I would actually call that a roaring (albeit temporary) success!
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  13. Wally007

    Wally007

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    83
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Winkelspruit,Kwa Zulu Natal
    Hehe , i bought my first canister filter about a year ago, so excited , put everything together ,plug it in, and wola ,it works. Then to find for the next month i had some funky white flakes coming out the filter outlet into my tank.Had no idea what was the cause, Google couldnt even help me solve this problem . I told my brother that this filter was a waste of time and its not working like they said it would.After a month i did the first filter clean only to find that i left the filter media still sealed in its plastic bags, damn did i never heard the end of this from my brothers, hehe
     
  14. OP
    francoisve

    francoisve Killinut

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,237
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Milnerton, Cape Town
    Ok, this one takes the cake!!!
     
  15. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
  16. Wally007

    Wally007

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    83
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Winkelspruit,Kwa Zulu Natal
    lol
     
  17. slayer

    slayer

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2009
    Messages:
    865
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Gauteng, Edenvale
    I forgot I was draining my tank, sitting right next to it. I use a hose which lets the water in the garden so to recycle the water also. Distracted by the TV. Only realised when I heard the fish out of water noise. The tapping and flipping on shallow water. And it was my big tank. Fish survived.
     
  18. top dog

    top dog

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2012
    Messages:
    1,765
    Likes Received:
    888
    Location:
    JHB Greenstone
    some of my best fish keeping moments
    I use the hose pipe to fill my tanks with water changes 900ltr a time it is only way, on particular day i got hose pipe tangled in coffee table and for some reason choose to just take the hose out of the tank while still on, sprayed my tv for at least 10 seconds before i could get hosepipe back in tank, tv died shortly after and could not be repaired
    got a batch of dovii and they where small and shy show bought 20 tiger barbs to school in the tanks and help dovii come out of there shells, 20 tiger barbs eaten in three days
     
  19. fhmarais

    fhmarais

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2013
    Messages:
    506
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Pretoria East
    As a child we had a small 100l tank.
    So on a weekend the heater broke. Pet Shop was closed. And Bronkhorstspruit gets real cold in the winter.
    So my dad decided to do a DIY job on the heater. He replaced the element of the heater with a heater element.
    Now guys, don't try this. At first it looked like it would work. Then the water started making those heat waves. Bubbles started on the tube, and pop. House in darkness.

    So the DIY job did not work at all.

    Oh and then the time my brother decided an Oscar is what is needed for our display tank. Needless to say guppies and Oscar does not work together... at all...
     
  20. Biggles

    Biggles

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2013
    Messages:
    223
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Cape Town Parow
    I have a fairly complicated system that works extremely well when left alone (look up my continuous water change thread). However it has some quirks and additions to make my life easier. For example I have a pipe that I stick the one end of my gravel vac into and the gravel vac sucks and drains via the waterchange system into the garden, but there is a valve I have to close to stop the gravel vac emptying into the sump. While I am doing a gravel vac I have the water flow from the outside conditioning tank cranked up full. This way I don't have a water level drop while I am vacuuming and I just keep an eye on the temperature, I can do half the tank and have a 2 degree temp drop. Then stop for abit and carry on after an hour, meanwhile I clean the rocks and stuff.

    Anyway in the middle of a water change and my wife informs me from the couch that I have to go and pick our boy up from Kindergarten. Now I am annoyed, I am busy but I have to go and fetch the kid... So ditch the gravel vac, dry the floor due to drips and off to fetch the kid.

    So I have about a liter a minute going into the sump, the overflow it closed and I am away... Luckily 1000l outside tank was not set to refill itself and only about 300l ended up in our living room.
     
  21. Biggles

    Biggles

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2013
    Messages:
    223
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Cape Town Parow
    In another incident some builders decided that this annoying trickling pipe (the garden outlet) needed closing off. So they bent the end closed. It took till about midnight for the the tank to overflow into the living room.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - dumb dumberrer thing Forum Date
Wanted: Red mosaic dumbo ear guppies Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jul 28, 2025
Swop: Red mosaic dumbo ear trio for neon tetras or albino bristlnose pleco Wanted/Swop/Freebies Feb 21, 2025
Freebie: Dumbo Fighter Fish - Jhb Sout Wanted/Swop/Freebies Nov 21, 2023
Wanted: White or dumbo ear guppies Wanted/Swop/Freebies Feb 11, 2021
Wanted: Dumbo ear guppy and koi siamese fighter females Wanted/Swop/Freebies Sep 15, 2018
Wanted: Dumbo guppies Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jul 15, 2018
Dumbass fish vs Genius fish General Discussions May 18, 2016

Share This Page