The most dumb and dumberrer thing you've done?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by francoisve, Apr 2, 2014.

  1. francoisve

    francoisve Killinut

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,237
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Milnerton, Cape Town
    Hi all

    What is the most stupid/embarrasing fishie thing you have done?

    I'll kick it off:

    Back in 1987 I worked in a pet shop in King William's Town. We got a big shipment in and the boss and I collected it from the airport at about eight o'clock on a Friday night. Raced back to the shop and got the fish into the tanks without paying too much attention on what goes where... Opening the shop on Saturday morning we noticed that we put an Arowana with our 100 neons, of which there was now not a single one left!!! The Arowana was lying on gthe bottom of the tank and it looked like he swallowed a balloon!!!
     
  2. Guest




  3. Cipher

    Cipher

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2014
    Messages:
    79
    Likes Received:
    0
    I was cleaning my tank recently. I had 6 white cloud minnows. After cleaning I only had 5 left. I have no idea where I went wrong.
     
  4. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    Left a heater on in a holding container. It cracked for what ever reason. Put my hand in the next day to test temperature. Well, when I was done my wife had to test mine.
     
  5. F1refly

    F1refly

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2013
    Messages:
    422
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Smithfield
    Emptied a whole jar of fish food in my dads tank back in 2003. Needless to say, we didn't have anymore fish
     
  6. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    Left a canister filter on with the spray bar pointing up words while doing a small water change. Went to empty out the dirty water and, came back to a mini flood.
     
  7. leeban

    leeban

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2014
    Messages:
    202
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Benoni
    Similar thing happened to me, only, I was standing in front of the tank so myself and the kids got a face full of water
     
  8. HeinrichLourens

    HeinrichLourens Tiger Barb

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2014
    Messages:
    351
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Secunda
    I put tetras with a Goldfish in a 30L tank with a box filter.....
     
  9. Swagasaurus

    Swagasaurus

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2013
    Messages:
    1,707
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Centurion
    Was using a carpet cutter to cut some power cord for my extension for the tank, instead of using a wooden block to cut it on I did it on the cement the blade hit the cement and broke off at an angle causing it to bounce like a spring into my hand. Had to go to the emergency room so they can remove it...
     
  10. ROEKSTE

    ROEKSTE

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2011
    Messages:
    840
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Before I had fish many moons ago my brother started with Malawi's. Got home from school before him and he told me they are tropical fish. I felt the water temp and I felt cold to me so I upped the temp. Hello fish soup. Steam was rising from the water surface.
     
  11. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    Tried to move a big tank 200Km and keep the filter alive. Ended with big deaths.
     
  12. DCWarHound

    DCWarHound

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2013
    Messages:
    1,059
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria,Sinoville
    When i started fishkeeping i didn't bother removing dead fish (i thought at the time that the filter would mature faster the more ammonia was in the water).

    Left the heater on a fiberglass hood,it burned right through and i got a nasty burn trying to remove it.
     
  13. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    f-fish: "Look love, that is a nice fish, black body with a red tail, don't you want it for your tank?"
    other 1/4: "ooh yes this a real looker , lets get two, he will be lonely"

    Ah the early days - redtail sharks eish, MTS yeah baby
     
  14. DS DG

    DS DG

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2009
    Messages:
    254
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Roodepoort,Ruisig,Gauteng
    Hahah oh so many stories!

    During a water change I left the heater on when it was out and it got really hot . As I put it into the cold water it exploded in my tank ! No casualties

    I tried making a diy co2 reactor thing and the water in my tank ended up all on the floor as it traveled through the pipe and warped my moms brand new solid wood unit .

    And the last one that I still am saddened by... I had my first "big tank" in the garage with my newly bought oscar. For some reason someone left a skrew driver next to it and as I was wiping the table around it got lodged under the tank . At first I thought it was stuck in the sponge under the tank and so I pulled it out and INSTANT WATERFALL !!!!! The worst part is my oscar survived only to die a year later because my mom unplugged the heater during a particularly cold day.
     
  15. Caudelia

    Caudelia

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2013
    Messages:
    789
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    durban
    ooohk - did the whole heater/ shock thing a couple of times! its a wonder I have any hair left!

    I switched off my hob and instead of taking it off the tank first I removed the motor not thinking about the suction build up , it started syphoning water on to the floor!
    I was cleaning my internal filter and the outlet faces straight up when the spray bar isn't on , my daughter plugged it in (I hope by mistake) . I got water full in the face!
    owning a koi pond and a Siberian husky is a huge NO NO
     
  16. irfaan

    irfaan

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2013
    Messages:
    191
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    durban
    well guys doing a water change forget to pull the plug off my internal filters while nearly through it was holding my daughter in my hand while both of us had to get a face cull of water n managed to take a gulp of water! never the less got swearing form the wife becuase we were dressed ofr a wedding:blushing:
     
  17. leeban

    leeban

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2014
    Messages:
    202
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Benoni
    @irfaan, I can just imagine the wife, especially now that you going to be late for a wedding. My wife loves my hobby .... from far.:laugh:
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  18. OP
    francoisve

    francoisve Killinut

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,237
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Milnerton, Cape Town
    So I thought let me update this with my latest flashes of brilliance:

    1. I have been battling with a certain tank that just would not stay on the same temperature... Checked the heater setting, changed to a bigger one, adjusted position etc for about two months now... Decided to change it again this weekend and upon unplugging it noticed that it was plugged into the light fitting's plug that runs off a timer... So the heater was only working when the lights were on.... :banghead:

    2. Did a complete clean on one of my breeding tanks, one male and 3 female Killis. Took out the sponge filter and put it with the 4 fish in a 2 liter ice cream tub. Cleaned the tank, took the sponge out of the tub and proceeded to rinse and squash it to give it a bit of a clean... Inserted said sponge back onto pipe and started airflow again. Topped up tank water and added fish back: "but why o deary me are there only two fish in the tub now?" Yep, you guessed it, two females swam into the hole of the sponge and was therefore crushed to death...

    3. And for the grand finale, "tadaaaamm": Filled my 250 liter water change drum with the garden hose pipe. Went to the kitchen to get a cup of tea... Do I need to complete the rest????
     
  19. DCWarHound

    DCWarHound

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2013
    Messages:
    1,059
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria,Sinoville
    This happened a few weeks ago.

    Dropped a pump into my water change drum and forgot to put the pipe into the tank before i turned it on,ended up with a soaked bed and decided to just throw everything into the dryer.This was one of those cold winter nights and i had no spare covers,second worst night ever (worst night ever was when we went fishing and it was storming in the middle of the night,the tent ripped apart and i ended up sleeping in 2cm of water soaked.Surprisingly i didn't get sick)
     
  20. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    Lol! I have done something like that. I had connected a pipe to the tank for filling then, put the other end on the tap. Went to open the tap very slowly and required the bath room. I had done this many times before as the hose clamp insured a slow and secure flow. Well, my luck the hose landed on the floor and when I came back the tank was not full at all but my floor was!
     
  21. TheGrissom

    TheGrissom

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2012
    Messages:
    2,266
    Likes Received:
    1,588
    Location:
    Gqeberha
    I have siphoned water from a bucket into a 3ft tank during a WC. I figured once the water in the bucket ran out it would stop so I could clean up later. So once the bucket emptied the siphon reversed and started siphoning water from the tank into the bucket. I came back later to find about 20L of water in the tank and the rest on the laminate flooring in the lounge. Had to replace the flooring after that one.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - dumb dumberrer thing Forum Date
Wanted: Red mosaic dumbo ear guppies Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jul 28, 2025
Swop: Red mosaic dumbo ear trio for neon tetras or albino bristlnose pleco Wanted/Swop/Freebies Feb 21, 2025
Freebie: Dumbo Fighter Fish - Jhb Sout Wanted/Swop/Freebies Nov 21, 2023
Wanted: White or dumbo ear guppies Wanted/Swop/Freebies Feb 11, 2021
Wanted: Dumbo ear guppy and koi siamese fighter females Wanted/Swop/Freebies Sep 15, 2018
Wanted: Dumbo guppies Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jul 15, 2018
Dumbass fish vs Genius fish General Discussions May 18, 2016

Share This Page