Tetra tec ex filter range - STAY AWAY!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by nodac, Jan 20, 2015.

  1. nodac

    nodac

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2012
    Messages:
    382
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    cape town
    Hi all

    about 2 years ago i was excited to purchase an tetra tec ex 1200 filter......

    Long story short, 4 filters down in 3years, one already replaced by tetra tec and leaking like a tap and noisey.

    I have quite a bit of fish keeping experience and i have done all the "tricks" to try revive theses filters, lastest one is about 4months old and sounds like a truck idling in the driveway.

    new O rings, new media, vaseline etc you name it ive done it!

    Going to speak to the director of the Tetra again and fight for my money back or sufficient replacements as this is clearly a substandard product, i had a cheapo dolphin canister that was roughly 15years old and still going, its outlasted 5 filters that have all died in the last 3years.


    STAY AWAY FROM TETRA BRAND FILTERS, TANKS. absolutely useless product unless you fancy it for a truck sounding fountain pump! in that case i have 4 for sale :notrust::call2::bath:
     
  2. Guest




  3. L~C~G

    L~C~G

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2012
    Messages:
    353
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Gauteng - Edenvale
    I have a Tetra Tec EX2400. I agree that it is noisy and I have also had a few leaks in the valves but despite that it is still running strong after 4 years.

    About two years back there was a cable theft in the area which caused the three phase lines to short, the result was 380v being supplied to the 220v sockets, the whole tank ran on 380v for about an hour before I found out what was going on. I bought this filter because it was the cheapest I could find at the time and had a much higher flow rate than the others.

    The dripping valves did bug me in the beginning but stopped after a little while and have not been an issue since.

    Is it great quality, nope. Is it a cheap and cheerful bottom shelf filter that gets the job done, yes (For me anyway).

    I can just imagine the frustration you must have gone through though, nothing worse than a filter calling it quits on a fully stocked tank. Interestingly, I have had a Sera Canister filter pack up after 18 months (Go an price a Sera filter sometime :blushing:)
     
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  4. SANKAYLA

    SANKAYLA

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2014
    Messages:
    63
    Likes Received:
    2
    So you want to SELL 4 filters replaced by the manufacturer at no cost if they are useless? What is your asking price?
     
  5. Jwh

    Jwh

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2014
    Messages:
    1,737
    Likes Received:
    97
    Location:
    Pretoria
    I run 3 1200, no problems as yet, still the most silent filter I have, I bought a cascade 1200 in December that is way more noisy, due to poorly designed impeller/ housing.
    If you are serious about selling, send me a pm, I'm in ct next weekend.
     
  6. woestynbaber

    woestynbaber

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2014
    Messages:
    339
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    limpopo
    my 1200s o rings gave in, chucked the whole thing in a jojo out of pure anger that it only lasted 2 months, started it, and it ran almost 2 years fully submerged. never leaked voltage, took it out now looking for a main seal.
     
  7. Jwh

    Jwh

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2014
    Messages:
    1,737
    Likes Received:
    97
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Your LFS should be able to get you one for under R100, alternatively get some o ring material and make one yourself, using silicone and superglue, there are a couple of threads dealing with this.
     
  8. woestynbaber

    woestynbaber

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2014
    Messages:
    339
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    limpopo
    lol im in the sticks boet, my local lfs is stocked with bass and bream, i lost the seal dont know what the thickness should be
     
  9. Jwh

    Jwh

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2014
    Messages:
    1,737
    Likes Received:
    97
    Location:
    Pretoria
    The agent in SA is Marltons, I'm sure they can send you one
     
  10. woestynbaber

    woestynbaber

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2014
    Messages:
    339
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    limpopo
    shot il look them up thanx
     
  11. Lanzo

    Lanzo

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2011
    Messages:
    173
    Likes Received:
    1
    We are waiting for the new range of tetra filters to come in, they changed the whole design of the Ex range.

    Lets hope they are better
     
  12. quattro

    quattro

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2014
    Messages:
    540
    Likes Received:
    17
    Also heard the new tetra is going to be much better.
     
  13. DCWarHound

    DCWarHound

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2013
    Messages:
    1,059
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria,Sinoville
    You can get the large seal that seals the bottom part and top part from petcity montana for around R80.I also have to reseal mine today,hope it works.
    @Lanzo
    PM me the price list when you can,thx.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  14. Marius Swart

    Marius Swart Guppies

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2011
    Messages:
    1,893
    Likes Received:
    45
    Location:
    Oudtshoorn
    Mine after 2 years started getting noisy but I replaced the impeller shaft so my own mistake . No leaks at all, I think the people when installing the top part might just damage the oring as I open my filter every month with no issues .
     
  15. quattro

    quattro

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2014
    Messages:
    540
    Likes Received:
    17
    I have the cascade 1200 and from time to time it sounds like there is sand in the impeller and then i know i have to clean out the pipes. Just clean the pipes and bleed the system again and then all is fine.
     
  16. HennieRoux

    HennieRoux

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2011
    Messages:
    2,431
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    JHB, Roodepoort
    Nothing wrong with the EX range. Been running them for years. O ring willways go, wear and tear. Best value for money, IMHO
     
  17. Ryno

    Ryno Kenaal baber

    Joined:
    May 19, 2012
    Messages:
    4,022
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Imo I will only buy eheim, fluval and hydor canister filters
     
  18. halfway

    halfway

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2011
    Messages:
    105
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Alberton, Gauteng
    Like most things in life you get what you pay for / can afford. I have had excellent service from my cascade 1200. Pricewise I doubt there is a better option on the market.
     
  19. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    I have often, not always, found that noise from a pump is due to some air in the impellor chamber.
     
  20. quattro

    quattro

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2014
    Messages:
    540
    Likes Received:
    17
    Ja that happens Vis. Easiest is to connect the inlet and open till the water comes out at the outlet then connect and switch on. Is there a way that you can put too much filter floss in that it can be clogged.
     
  21. fishcrazy

    fishcrazy

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2009
    Messages:
    522
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Durban
    I had an eheim that ran for 12 years and fluval for 8 no problems at all,sold them with my tanks and are probably still in operation.....my choice will always be fluval or eheim
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Tetra filter range Forum Date
Wanted: Tetra Canister filter tap/valve needed Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 18, 2025
Wanted: Wanted - Fluval or Tetra Canister Filters Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jun 3, 2021
Wanted: Tetra EX600 Plus Filter Wanted/Swop/Freebies Feb 9, 2021
Tetra canister filter - common problems? General Equipment discussion Aug 19, 2020
Wanted: Wanted: Tetra or tetratec canister filters any condition. Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jun 24, 2019
Impeller for a Tetratec EX600 cannister filter Sponsor Requests Apr 16, 2018
Wanted: Replacement Impeller for tetratec ex600 cannister filter (cape town) Wanted/Swop/Freebies Apr 16, 2018

Share This Page