Test Kits

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Singhms, May 20, 2011.

  1. Arrow Boy

    Arrow Boy

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Messages:
    1,220
    Likes Received:
    206
    Location:
    Gauteng
    Hello Everyone,

    I would like to know what test kits you use if you use one and how is your experience with them.

    I would also like to know things like how long the kit lasts, how often you test and anything else that could help in choosing a good cost effective test kit.

    Thanks,
     
  2. Guest




  3. mattie

    mattie

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2010
    Messages:
    786
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Cape Town
    my test kits are eyes, fingers & nose.
     
  4. Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    I don't have enough experience to trust eyes, fingers and nose yet :D

    I use the 6-in-1 test strips that test chlorine (Cl), Carbonate hardness (KH), general hardness (GH), Nitrite (NO2) and Nitrate (NO3). Test strips aren't very popular because they don't give exact readings, but seeing I'm not a chemist, I'm happy to get a general indication of the water parameters. I also keep beginner fish so I don't need to be so fussy. BTW, to make these last longer you can cut them in half.

    To test ammonia I use a standard liquid test kit. I've had mine since Jan this year and it's not yet half-way.

    Test kits have an expiry date. Make sure that anything you buy is well before the expiry date.

    Initially I tested the water at least once a day. Now I test probably once a week or if it looks like one of the fish is behaving strangely.

    That's working for me, so far.
     
  5. OP
    Arrow Boy

    Arrow Boy

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Messages:
    1,220
    Likes Received:
    206
    Location:
    Gauteng
    Hi Jenn, thank you for that input it is much appreciated. If you dont mind me asking, the 6-in-1 strips do they work with a colour chart giving ranges?


    Thanks,
     
  6. Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    Yes, those are them. There's a nice pic and some info here:
    http://theaquariumwiki.com/Tetra_Test_6in1.

    They are fairly easy to find. Most, but not all pet shops have them. I had to shop around to find ones that hadn't expired.
     
  7. OP
    Arrow Boy

    Arrow Boy

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Messages:
    1,220
    Likes Received:
    206
    Location:
    Gauteng
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  8. OP
    Arrow Boy

    Arrow Boy

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Messages:
    1,220
    Likes Received:
    206
    Location:
    Gauteng
    Anyone has experience with API test kits?

    I would like to know how approx how long it lasted you\how many tests you got from the kit?

    Thanks,
     
  9. OP
    Arrow Boy

    Arrow Boy

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Messages:
    1,220
    Likes Received:
    206
    Location:
    Gauteng
    Hello,

    Anyone know where i can purchase an API master test kit for fresh water aquarium?

    Thanks,
     
  10. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    EXCELLENT quality. Still have my original test kit from 3 years ago. (Probably expired by now, but no date on them). The nitrates test ran out... but I used that a lot.

    Animal Kingdom
     
  11. OP
    Arrow Boy

    Arrow Boy

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Messages:
    1,220
    Likes Received:
    206
    Location:
    Gauteng
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  12. Toby

    Toby

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2011
    Messages:
    159
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Randburg , Johannesburg
    Hey there,
    How much do the 6 in 1 test kits sell for?
     
  13. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    When you say 6 in 1 test kits, I am assuming you are talking about the test strips.

    Whilst they are very economical, they are by far the most INACCURATE way of testing, and IMO, should be taken off the market. Let me share this experience:

    When I started out, I did all the noob mistakes. When people on Tasa told me about the Nitrites / Ammonia cycle, I was "cleverer" than the forum members, because my ammonia was zero, my nitrites was zero, and I was so "experienced" with my fish keeping that even my nitrates reading was zero. (We all know that a nitrates reading should have something...). Anyway, my results were from test strips. A member (who has sadly left the forum) contacted me privately just to check how I was testing. (test-strips). She advised me to take some water to the LPS and get them to test it for me. When they found my ammonia and nitrite levels were sky-high, I bought the Api Master test kit. (LPS tested with Sera) When I tested at home, my Api-Masters gave me the same results as the Sera... where as the test strip was still at 0-0-0.
    A while ago I went through a bad patch, and my nitrates went up to 30ppm. Just to play around, I tested with the test strip, and it showed my nitrates at 60ppm. WTF???

    I've heard COUNTLESS stories of people going through similar experiences with test strips.
     
  14. Toby

    Toby

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2011
    Messages:
    159
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Randburg , Johannesburg
    Ok thanx for the advice, in that case what is the average price for the kit that you recommend ?
     
  15. Wynie

    Wynie

    Joined:
    May 16, 2011
    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Johannesburg (East Rand)
    WOW now allot of things make more sense. Thanks
     
  16. Wynie

    Wynie

    Joined:
    May 16, 2011
    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Johannesburg (East Rand)
    What is the price on these fancy test kits if I may ask?
     
  17. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Api test masters : pH , high pH, Nitrite, Ammonia, Nitrate test kit. R599.00
     
  18. Wynie

    Wynie

    Joined:
    May 16, 2011
    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Johannesburg (East Rand)
    Cool thanks I think I saw some of those at my LFS.
     
  19. Toby

    Toby

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2011
    Messages:
    159
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Randburg , Johannesburg
    Hmmm me the poor student will have to start saving
     
  20. Wynie

    Wynie

    Joined:
    May 16, 2011
    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Johannesburg (East Rand)
    And I have to postpone buying more fish & I have to get the whitespot out first too. I was so looking forward to getting some more fish this month.
    eish
     
  21. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    There is big difference of opinions on what tests you need...

    In my opinion the 2 most important for started is Nitrate and pH. You can buy each of these seperately. Usually around R100 each.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Test Kits Forum Date
Test kits Beginner Discussions Aug 19, 2020
Water testing kits - product reviews General Discussions Aug 6, 2019
Sera Test Kits in Stock Pet Lovers Emporium Nov 14, 2016
cheapest place on the East Rand to buy test kits Advanced Topics Mar 4, 2016
Confused with testing kits and so on Beginner Discussions Oct 12, 2015
FB: Aquarium Test Kits: Parameters to Test for in Fish-Only and Reef Tanks Jungle Aquatics Mar 2, 2015
Test kits Cape Town Fish Keepers Jul 10, 2014

Share This Page