Terracotta Pot

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Vez, May 8, 2011.

  1. Vez

    Vez

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,076
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Krugersdorp Jhb
    Hey all

    I want to find out something, i got myself a Terra Pot for my Rams, and i see the inside has a coating, is this safe, and can i do any tests on it to see that its safe?/

    Thanks

    Vez
     
  2. Guest




  3. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    could be safe - but I only use unglazed pots - never know what is 1) in the glazing 2) why add a barrier water barrier

    are you going to drill / cut the pot in anyway ?
     
  4. OP
    Vez

    Vez

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,076
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Krugersdorp Jhb
    i onlly saw the glaze when i got home and dropped it into a bucket of water.

    I dont know, should i chop it or drill it?
     
  5. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
  6. Gert Combrink

    Gert Combrink

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2008
    Messages:
    1,786
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Protea Hights, Brackenfell, Cape Town.
    @Ves, leave the pot in a bucket of water for a while. Then drill the required holes, as the pot is now wet and soft and does not make a lot of dust.
    I can't tell about the glazing though...
     
  7. Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    Some glazes have lead in them. I don't think the clear gloss earthenware glaze does, but if you can wait till Thursday I can ask my pottery teacher if it would be likely. It is safer to go for unglazed, though.
     
  8. OP
    Vez

    Vez

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,076
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Krugersdorp Jhb
    Thanks all

    Ferdie. i cant see any pics on that thread? maybe i can search for it
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Terracotta Forum Date
Terracotta Pots General Discussions Aug 3, 2011

Share This Page