Tera Cotta Pots

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Skye01, Mar 26, 2012.

  1. Skye01

    Skye01

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Rynfield, Benoni. GP
    Hi all,

    I wonder if anyone has done any research regarding the use of tera cotta pots in tanks and the ph/kh/gh levels?

    I went to see a seasoned breeder today and when I told him that I was going to be using tera cotta pots to breed some of my fish in he mentioned that they seem to harden up the water.

    Please give me feedback on this matter because I don't want to go ahead and set the whole thing up only to discover that they do indeed increase the above levels.

    I eagerly await any responses to this question.

    TIA
     
  2. Guest




  3. Henk Hugo

    Henk Hugo

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2008
    Messages:
    4,135
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    I have used unglazed terracotta pots in my tanks for years without any ill effect.
     
  4. Bandit

    Bandit

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2010
    Messages:
    137
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    PE
    I have 3 big terra cota pots in my angel tank and they breed like mad.
     
  5. Firefly

    Firefly Pleco

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    Messages:
    2,333
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    East London
    No ill effects that I have seen. I have some a few in a 1ft tank and the fish seem happy.
     
  6. Dirk

    Dirk Dwarf Catfish

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2009
    Messages:
    2,514
    Likes Received:
    81
    Location:
    Somerset West
    Hi Sky,

    (Oooooo, I love saying that, sounds so nice)

    It looks like this is another one of these internet rumors. This is total and utter rubbish. Terracotta pots are made of clay and are burnt, so the material the pot is made of is so longer soluble besides the fact that it does not contain calcium, magnesium or carbonate which can influence hardness.

    So, terracota pots are used in my tanks, left right and centre and I breed discus on them which are super sensitive to hardness, so please tell your friend that the professor says he is wrong!

    Kind regards,

    Dirk
     
  7. OP
    Skye01

    Skye01

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Rynfield, Benoni. GP
    Thank you all especially @Dirk Bellstedt, I'm glad you love my name, I'll tell you the history behind it soon...

    Yeah, I have also used the unglazed pots in my tanks before, but I just wondered if there was anything behind what this guy was telling me regarding the increase in water hardness. He also seems to feel that some of the wood he is using is making his water hard. I don't believe that either.

    Glad I can put this theory to bed without any worries...
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  8. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Terra cotta pots are generally fired to a minimum of bisque ware,even stone ware - at these temperatures a thermogenic change occurs in the clay where the silicates fuse - rendering them(and all other composites in the clay) completely innert....
     
  9. Dirk

    Dirk Dwarf Catfish

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2009
    Messages:
    2,514
    Likes Received:
    81
    Location:
    Somerset West
    Thanks Azure for confirming this.

    Sky, your friend has also got it completely wrong with the wood as well.......

    Kind regards,

    Dirk
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Tera Cotta Pots Forum Date
Freebie: Heteranthera Zosterifolia " Star Grass Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jun 14, 2021
Sterazin -internal parasites? Diseases Sep 11, 2019
New Member - Veteran Fish Keeper New members Jan 29, 2019
Filteration for Shrimp tanks Filtration Jul 14, 2017
FB: Interactive Clown Triggerfish in stock :) small - R1200 Jungle Aquatics Dec 16, 2014
FB: All fish can be tamed... Hennie's super interactive Manderan and his buddy Yello Jungle Aquatics May 19, 2014
Hole in the Head / Head and Lateral Line erosion in Clown Loaches Diseases Oct 31, 2012

Share This Page