Tap water PH increases when it stands

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Verndog, Apr 14, 2011.

  1. Verndog

    Verndog APSA:DOUBLEV

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2010
    Messages:
    532
    Likes Received:
    5
    Hi there guys

    I am stumped, when I prep my tap water and let it stand for more then 24 hours the ph increases. Water running directly out the tap is 7.5

    I then add the water to my prepping container with a pump and a hearter. I add some seachem prime and let it stand for a day or 2.

    I narrowed it down to my plastic dustibin I store my water in. I then went out and bought a bin for double the price used to store food which garantees it does not leach anything into the water but the same thing happens?

    Water out the tap: 7.5
    Standing for 24 hours: 8.5

    Am I missing something :blink1:
     
  2. Guest




  3. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    The piping getting the water to you may be leeching some metals into the water which would drop the pH. Hence the 7.5. Then when it stands, this leaves the water and goes back up. I've heard of this a few times in SA.
     
  4. TomK

    TomK

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2011
    Messages:
    1,552
    Likes Received:
    11
    Location:
    Klerksdorp
    I noticed it as well. Especially when you aerate the water. I think it is because you are driving CO2 out, replacing it with oxygen. CO2 bring the pH down, hence the increase when you drive it out.
     
  5. OP
    Verndog

    Verndog APSA:DOUBLEV

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2010
    Messages:
    532
    Likes Received:
    5
    2 very good points.... Something to think about!
     
  6. Laure

    Laure Cyano Terminator

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2009
    Messages:
    903
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth
    The water supplied out the tap has likely a reasonable CO2 level. Letting it stand for a day or 2 will allow the CO2 in the water to reach equilibrium. Most likely it will lose some CO2, and thus the ph will rise. This is normal and to be expected and is what is happening. No other reasons (metals, etc.) Also, the CO2 is not REPLACED by O2, they both dissolve in water independent of each other.
     
  7. TomK

    TomK

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2011
    Messages:
    1,552
    Likes Received:
    11
    Location:
    Klerksdorp

    Thanks for pointing it out. I understand better now. They always talk about gaseous exchange, so my mind short circuited to exchange, as in replace. Nearly the same thing tho, just independent! hehe
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - water increases stands Forum Date
Some ideas or inspiration for larger aquarium water changes.... General Discussions Jun 18, 2026
Flow of clean RODI water too slow?? General Discussions Mar 27, 2026
Discover NT Labs | The Leaders in Fish Health and Water Testing Jungle Aquatics May 16, 2025
Freshwater vs. Saltwater Aquariums in SA: General Fish Discussions Mar 31, 2025
Recommended water changes ? Beginner Discussions Sep 12, 2024
Is buying RO/DI water a thing? Beginner Discussions Jul 9, 2023
Tap water PH - Edgemead Goodwood General Discussions May 29, 2023

Share This Page