Tank joints\seam concern

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by eugenevw, Sep 23, 2014.

  1. eugenevw

    eugenevw

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2014
    Messages:
    167
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Pretoria East, Olympus
    Good day all,

    I'm at the point to fill the tank for a personal water/leak test. They only tested without my presence.
    But my concern is the joints. Have a look and let me know what you guys think. This is a newly built tank, never been used before.
    I don't feel confident to open the taps yet.
    seal1.jpgseal2.jpgseal4.jpgseal3.jpg

    seal1.jpg

    seal2.jpg

    seal4.jpg

    seal3.jpg
     
  2. Guest




  3. butcherman

    butcherman Administrator

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2009
    Messages:
    1,584
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Edenvale
    How long ago dod they build this. The workmanship is slightly questionable.
     
  4. OP
    eugenevw

    eugenevw

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2014
    Messages:
    167
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Pretoria East, Olympus
    This 6ft was build in June this year. And as you said the workmanship is questionable, I'm not happy where I'm sitting now
     
  5. Mike Roos

    Mike Roos

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2014
    Messages:
    559
    Likes Received:
    41
    Location:
    Bronkhorstpruit dam
    @eugenevw..sooo let me know as I do not want the same hazzard..
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. OP
    eugenevw

    eugenevw

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2014
    Messages:
    167
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Pretoria East, Olympus
    @Mike Roos will do so. I think we must take a trip to the eastrand:)
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  7. Sash

    Sash

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2014
    Messages:
    515
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Midrand
    I think this is caused from 1 of 2 things:
    Cutting the silicone to neaten the edges (I've done this) OR
    using tape to neaten the edges (I've done this)

    The blade method can cause things like what it looks like in the last pic
    The tape method can cause the rip like looks in the last pic.

    Failing that, I am totally wrong and cannot see that well from the pics :-D
    I don't see it as a train smash because the membrane inside still seams good (pun intended). If this is a DIY tank you can either strip that side and redo it or add edging to it. If someone built it for you then take it back for them to solve. Especially if you paid them for it.

    And that, is my 2c word.:cheesy:
     
  8. OP
    eugenevw

    eugenevw

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2014
    Messages:
    167
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Pretoria East, Olympus
    Thanks @Sash for you input. The last pic you see there is actually the nicest joint of them all except for that small air pocket.
    All the other joints have air bubbles and large areas with air.
    And yes I need my money back, I lost all trust in this tank.

    Thanks again for you input
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  9. Sash

    Sash

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2014
    Messages:
    515
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Midrand
    @eugenevw thats a shame man. Once that happens though its no point in pushing the issue. I hope they refund you!
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  10. BIGGZ

    BIGGZ

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2013
    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi, im pretty sure what you have shown on the pics would not be the cause of any leaks.
    This however is no reason to fill her up.
    you say you paid for this tank to be built, return it, definitely. if that's not possible, demand the tank be stripped and redone to your satisfaction.

    the last 2 tanks I have paid for, iv had the tank builder hold onto the tank until the silicone fully cured, and then water test at their premises. best.

    hope all goes well, sharp.
     
  11. Pleco102

    Pleco102

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2011
    Messages:
    137
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Pretoria,Olympus
    Hi @eugenevw

    I am no expert but there are alot of small airpockets or bubbles and then the areas with no silicon as you have indicated with the arrow.

    I have recently redone my 5ft and only had one joint with a small part that didnt had silicone all the way through the joint on the glass seams.

    According to me the silicone between the glass on the seam will be your main seam. This could tear on those gaps and bubbles due to the pressure.

    So I think you should let them redo it.

    Maybe @f-fish can also give some advice as I have gotten some advice from him on my joint issue.

    Kind regards.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  12. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    it's not right ..... - might make a nice terrarium from the looks of things.
     
  13. OP
    eugenevw

    eugenevw

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2014
    Messages:
    167
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Pretoria East, Olympus
    Thank you all for your inputs.
    I went to the builder yesterday......he's gonna build me a new tank:)
     
  14. Mike Roos

    Mike Roos

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2014
    Messages:
    559
    Likes Received:
    41
    Location:
    Bronkhorstpruit dam
    nice @eugenevw.
    Glad he is gonna replace you with a new tank!
    Let's hold thumb's up for this one.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  15. OP
    eugenevw

    eugenevw

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2014
    Messages:
    167
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Pretoria East, Olympus
    Thanks @Mike Roos, hopefully I'll get it next week. Will keep you posted.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  16. OP
    eugenevw

    eugenevw

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2014
    Messages:
    167
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Pretoria East, Olympus
    Sooooo.... tomorrow I'm gonna fetch the newly build tank. Let's hope this one is perfect.I'll keep you guys updated.
     
  17. Mike Roos

    Mike Roos

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2014
    Messages:
    559
    Likes Received:
    41
    Location:
    Bronkhorstpruit dam
    Is must be in mint condition!:beer:mad:eugenevw
     
  18. Sash

    Sash

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2014
    Messages:
    515
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Midrand
    failing that you have to name and shame hahahaha
    just kidding
     
  19. OP
    eugenevw

    eugenevw

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2014
    Messages:
    167
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Pretoria East, Olympus
    hehe, that's part of my plan @Sash. :laugh:
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  20. OP
    eugenevw

    eugenevw

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2014
    Messages:
    167
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Pretoria East, Olympus
    But let's give the builder a chance first.....
     
  21. Mike Roos

    Mike Roos

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2014
    Messages:
    559
    Likes Received:
    41
    Location:
    Bronkhorstpruit dam
    THis is it make it or break t!
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Tank jointsseam concern Forum Date
Newbie confession: overstocked my first tank on LFS advice — is a R5,500 180L upgrade worth it? Beginner Discussions Jul 12, 2026
100L tank needed General Discussions Jun 15, 2026
Tank builders General Discussions Jan 26, 2026
Disease in a planted tank. Planted Tanks Dec 28, 2025
Tankmates for tiretrack eel? Species Tanks Dec 16, 2025
90cm x 60cm x 45cm opti white tank (10mm) General Equipment discussion Oct 26, 2025
Thinking of starting first malawi tank Cichlids Oct 24, 2025

Share This Page