Tank Backgrounds ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by larch, Jul 14, 2010.

  1. larch

    larch

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2010
    Messages:
    976
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    In my pants.
    And no not the super cheesy planted backgrounds you can buy at the LPS, I just like to know what you guys use for backgrounds for your tank and which color's work best. I need ideas for my tank because it is currently the white wall sitting behind the tank. And something semi permanent something I could change easily thanks!
     
  2. Guest




  3. oscar freak

    oscar freak

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    Messages:
    3,655
    Likes Received:
    56
    Location:
    Kensington Jhb
    i take offence at the cheesy planted background remark lol
     
  4. OP
    larch

    larch

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2010
    Messages:
    976
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    In my pants.
    Ahahah well I think your Oscar's might take more offense to those then you do ;) I am just looking for a better solution other than painting the glass.
     
  5. Reafer

    Reafer

    Joined:
    May 16, 2009
    Messages:
    660
    Likes Received:
    142
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth
    get a piece of polystyrene sheeting , cut it to size of the back of your tank paint to whatever colour you want and stick it on with some double sided tape. And as an added benefit you will save electricity by insulating the back of your tank
     
  6. oscar freak

    oscar freak

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    Messages:
    3,655
    Likes Received:
    56
    Location:
    Kensington Jhb
    i tried to spruce up their enviroment they were having none of it so they will have to endure my modern minimalist decor.the best background would be a totally concealed rear glass(with plants and decor)im not a fan of painted glass i rather leave it to the churches.
     
  7. OP
    larch

    larch

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2010
    Messages:
    976
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    In my pants.
    Eh thanks! I got a sheet or two lying around thanks will definitely try it!
     
  8. Reafer

    Reafer

    Joined:
    May 16, 2009
    Messages:
    660
    Likes Received:
    142
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth
    just remember to use solvent free paint otherwise the poly sheet will melt :)
    just test a small piece before you start
     
  9. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    Buy one of those plastic artificail rock sheets the sometimes put in reptile tanks.
     
  10. OP
    larch

    larch

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2010
    Messages:
    976
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    In my pants.
    I think my LPS sells those I will try different things to see how they look.
     
  11. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Those cheesey picture sheets also come in plain colours. Just need to find an LPS that carries them. All my tanks have just plain navy blue. There is a very nice one that I like which starts off at the bottom with a very dark blue, and lightens slightly as it goes to the top. Gives a great effect. But If I recall, it was about R129.00 per 30cm when I last saw it.
     
  12. oscar freak

    oscar freak

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    Messages:
    3,655
    Likes Received:
    56
    Location:
    Kensington Jhb
    i protest lol
     
  13. spider

    spider Guest

    Hi There. I normally use the "Craft Paint" colour 07 abtainable at the art & craft shops, to paint the stirofoam. The stirofoam will also act as an insulation.
     
  14. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    In some of my tanks I use celofane ... since you get them in a variate of colors it could give the tank a nice hue depending on external light sources.

    Later Ferdie

     
  15. shakester

    shakester

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2010
    Messages:
    368
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Newcastle
    and whats wrong with the juwel 3d bachrounds ??besides the prices
    they give a profesional look to your tank ,and it does not depent on your tank setup
     
  16. OP
    larch

    larch

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2010
    Messages:
    976
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    In my pants.
    Objection overruled till we hear eye witness reports from your poor Oscars ;)
     
  17. shakester

    shakester

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2010
    Messages:
    368
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Newcastle
    oh ,you can try to put any thing with oscars ,whey will mess it up ,so to torture them and give them something to do i stuck my plastic plants to the tank bottom with silicon ,and another cruel thing is to stick a worm on the outside tank glass ,think of it as punishment for eating your betta
     
  18. oscar freak

    oscar freak

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    Messages:
    3,655
    Likes Received:
    56
    Location:
    Kensington Jhb
    it was my brother's betta so it was fine:)
     
  19. richardnuss

    richardnuss

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2010
    Messages:
    148
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Paulshof - JHB
    Not sure if you are still looking for a background, if you have darker gravel there is a great "LFS background" that is stone only - comes in various heights and on a roll. I have it with my black gravel and tall plants and it just adds a bit of texture compared to paiting it all black / grey.
     
  20. OP
    larch

    larch

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2010
    Messages:
    976
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    In my pants.
    I am using the lighter standard gravel you get at your local LPS will then maybe opt for something darker when it comes to my background thanks.
     
  21. Scaly

    Scaly Therapeutic

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2009
    Messages:
    267
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Westdene JHB
    I drape a fabric at the back of my tanks. I change the colour from time to time. Currently I have a metallic green background that helps disperse the light.

    Advantages: Easily removed and changed; I am able to access (see) into both sides of my tanks; Kewl textures; Relatively cheap; fit easily behind HOBs; easy to clean glass (no water streaks which often occur).

    I was concerned about water creep/absorption but in 6 months time I have had no issues, but I do ensure that there is no direct contact with the water. The back ground gets wet often, water spills, but dries without problems.

    Cheers

    Scaly
     
    Zoom likes this.

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Tank Backgrounds Forum Date
Fish Tank Backgrounds Anything DIY related Oct 21, 2019
Tank Backgrounds General Discussions Jul 8, 2013
3d backgrounds for malawi tank General Equipment discussion Aug 26, 2012
Tank Backgrounds preference General Discussions Aug 22, 2012
backgrounds for tanks General Equipment discussion Jun 17, 2009
Newbie confession: overstocked my first tank on LFS advice — is a R5,500 180L upgrade worth it? Beginner Discussions Jul 12, 2026
100L tank needed General Discussions Jun 15, 2026

Share This Page