Submersable Filters Diy?

Discussion in 'Filtration' started by Hawk, Aug 25, 2012.

  1. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hi guys. I was just reading a post about cloudy water and @ivan suggested using Seachem Clarity and filter floss. I,ve been wondering about this since I added clarify on Wednesday and I would say my tank is still cloudy. Assuming the particles are smaller than a sponge filter, how do I add filter floss to a filter that only has sponge. Do I just cut the sponge in half and replace the section closest to the inlet with filter floss or how is this done? :embarrest:
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  2. Guest




  3. ivan

    ivan Aquascaper

    Joined:
    May 24, 2011
    Messages:
    681
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    Centurion
    can you perhaps take a pic of the filter? normally i would just take of the spunge and fit the filter floss in its place.
     
  4. mydummyname

    mydummyname Balala shark

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    Messages:
    2,302
    Likes Received:
    41
    Location:
    cape town
    I just stick a flat piece of floss on top of the foam. The foam compresses a bit so it works out fine.
     
  5. OP
    Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    @ivan - It's a Boyu 603e. 20120826_234354.jpgThe lower half comes off and is full of sponge. About two weeks ago I cut the sponge about 2/3 of the way up and inserted purigen between the two pieces of foam. So are you saying remove the sponge completely?
    @mydummyname - if I used your method, would you put the filter floss between the sponge and the impellar and would you put the filter floss above or below the purigen?

    20120826_234354.jpg
     
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  6. mydummyname

    mydummyname Balala shark

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    Messages:
    2,302
    Likes Received:
    41
    Location:
    cape town
    i put mine between the foam and the impeller, that way the impeller takes longer to get clogged up (the way they tend to after a while with the brown muck) but i think any way would be effective in helping to trap the finer particles of waste in the water and give it that more "polished" look, so the foam takes on the roll of the biological filtration and the filter floss takes on the roll of the mechanical filtration..
     
  7. OP
    Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    @mydummyname - Thanks. I will do a sub filter mod as soon as I get some filter floss and post the mod here. The water is looking clear again but there are a lot of particles floating in the water. Hopefully the filter floss will remove them.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  8. mydummyname

    mydummyname Balala shark

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    Messages:
    2,302
    Likes Received:
    41
    Location:
    cape town
    best of luck dude :) i know it sucks when your water isnt nice and clear..
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Submersable Filters Forum Date
submersable pump Wanted/Swop/Freebies Nov 5, 2013
Wanted: Hagen Aquaclear mini filters Wanted/Swop/Freebies Nov 1, 2025
20% Off Oase BioMaster Thermo Canister Filters - Limited Time! Jungle Aquatics Sep 18, 2025
Wanted: Dolphin Cannister filters Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jun 17, 2025
Introducing the New Oase Canister Filters Jungle Aquatics Apr 24, 2024
Correct Filters for a 4Foot Tank General Discussions Feb 8, 2024
Filters for resun p400 submersible pump General Fish Discussions Jul 11, 2022

Share This Page