stocking dilemma

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Bambithegirl, Jan 8, 2014.

  1. Bambithegirl

    Bambithegirl

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2014
    Messages:
    88
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello everyone,

    I have such a problem getting dwarf corys as most suppliers to the good pet shops are closed until next week.
    But two of the stores are making an effort to try and get them for me.

    My dilemma is, I have waited SO long to get this tank cycled and it now finally is.

    I am planning on getting one male betta and 4 dwarf corys.

    But is it wise to get the betta first and only introduce the corys later?
    And wont the betta be even more prone to aggression if the fish are so small?

    OR is it best that I just wait for the next 2-3 weeks until I can get hold of some dwarf corys?

    Any advice?
     
  2. Guest




  3. Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
    One way to introduce fish to a tank with a territorial fish is to rearrange the plants/rocks/wood when introducing the new fish. This replicates the territory being changed, and then it's a neutral zone.

    But, how big is the tank? I would recommend at least 6 corries. They are shoaling fish so they prefer bigger groups.
     
  4. iamdieter

    iamdieter

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2013
    Messages:
    321
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Benoni, South Africa
    Would not worry about the Bettas aggression too much, they are pretty peaceful except towards their own kind.
     
  5. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    Yup, I agree.
    Betta shouldnt be too bothered by the Corries.
     
  6. OP
    Bambithegirl

    Bambithegirl

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2014
    Messages:
    88
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks so much everyone. So my plan is to get the betta this weekend and enjoy him while I wait for the corys. And then just watch them closely when I introduce them. My tank is only aobut 30L so that's why I thought 4 were the limit.
     
  7. zaqwsx15

    zaqwsx15

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2010
    Messages:
    201
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Century City, Cape Town
    which is basically what i said in your other thread asking the same question but was ignored :call2:
     
  8. OP
    Bambithegirl

    Bambithegirl

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2014
    Messages:
    88
    Likes Received:
    0
    Sorry Zaq, don't get time to read all the replies. Too busy at work. But thanks to everyone for all the advice
     
  9. OP
    Bambithegirl

    Bambithegirl

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2014
    Messages:
    88
    Likes Received:
    0
    I am so happy I got my beautiful half moon betta a week ago. I took ages in the shop to choose one and I cant be happier. He is so lively, he swims and explores all over the 30L tank. He is very interactive and knows exactly when I am going to feed him and when I am going to put the mirror up for a few minutes. I think he will do alright with the cories when I do get them. He is also quite small still. Here is a pic
     
  10. OP
    Bambithegirl

    Bambithegirl

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2014
    Messages:
    88
    Likes Received:
    0
    not the best pic but he is always moving :)

    Matisse.jpg
     
  11. iamdieter

    iamdieter

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2013
    Messages:
    321
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Benoni, South Africa
    Cool, I'm sure he is happy to have found a good home. Good luck with him.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - stocking dilemma Forum Date
Stocking options for lido 120 General Discussions Apr 12, 2022
Did i make the right stocking choice? Community Tanks Sep 2, 2021
Some stocking options for SA&CA cichlids Cichlids Jun 26, 2021
Stocking Help (South American Cichlids) General Discussions Jun 14, 2021
Wanted: Stocking new rack Gabs Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jun 29, 2020
Help me decide on plants and stocking General Discussions Jun 24, 2020
stocking pond Ponds Apr 30, 2020

Share This Page