starting up new fluval fx6 and tetra ex1200

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by junior1baby, Aug 4, 2014.

  1. junior1baby

    junior1baby

    Joined:
    May 12, 2014
    Messages:
    73
    Likes Received:
    0
    hi guys

    I have the issue of having an two old cannisters on my 1000l. I am going to move tank and want tochange cannisters to new fx6 and my ex1200. i believe the media in old cannisters might be contaminated and harbour spores. If it was your tank....

    would u start tank from beginning or go to old media. I have seachem products to use as mibrobelift so new tank syndrome not an issue.

    my thinking is using old media that might die off in move will create a septic system.I would rather quaranteen my fish minimum 2weeks and move them to cycled tank one by one. I do have a friend that is willing to house my fish so that not an issue.and my qt is an 100l so I will pull out my trofee fish and qt them for longer.

    input?
     
  2. Guest




  3. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    The fx6 is a fantastic filter. I have an fx5 and love it. Sorry to go a little off topic here but, how much did you pay for that? Now to your question. Why would you say your media is contaminated? I am sure the bio material will be just fine.
     
  4. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    I have a ex1200
    It is a good filter, been running for 2 years, and no complaints

    The "spores", ie the denitrifying bacteria is what you actually want.
    I would definately transfer the old media to the new filters.
     
  5. OP
    junior1baby

    junior1baby

    Joined:
    May 12, 2014
    Messages:
    73
    Likes Received:
    0
    the filters have been disconnected before and I think algae has grown on piping.my post cannister filter catches it after going through uv. pm me for pricing.
     
  6. OP
    junior1baby

    junior1baby

    Joined:
    May 12, 2014
    Messages:
    73
    Likes Received:
    0
    if u guys want I will do a complete review from beginning of my install to end with photos and everything.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - starting fluval tetra Forum Date
Thinking of starting first malawi tank Cichlids Oct 24, 2025
New / Revised fish room starting soon. Members Systems Feb 16, 2025
Eskom starting with their kak again General Discussions Jan 31, 2025
Starting an LFS *Ideas General Fish Discussions Sep 17, 2024
Starting again After 5 Years New members Aug 2, 2024
Starting again. I want to build a 8 foot tank. General Discussions Jan 25, 2024
Thinking of starting a new tank - Cichlids General Fish Discussions Jan 11, 2024

Share This Page