Stand height

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by wade, Jun 26, 2012.

  1. wade

    wade

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2010
    Messages:
    171
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    What would you guys say is a good height for a stand? i just finished building teh frame for a stand for my 3ft, that i made to what i thought would be a good height, but now it seems a bit too high....so im going to change it after work a bit.

    just want to know what he general idea is though. I know everyone's will be suited to them.
     
  2. Guest




  3. mydummyname

    mydummyname Balala shark

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    Messages:
    2,302
    Likes Received:
    41
    Location:
    cape town
    personally i like mine to be about 900mm high..
     
  4. tranzoid

    tranzoid

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2012
    Messages:
    23
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    CPT
    I like stands at desk height (70-75cm) it allows me eye level views when sitting in a standard chair, and being a little vertically challenged means I can still get my hands to substrate level without standing on tip toes
     
    mydummyname likes this.
  5. mydummyname

    mydummyname Balala shark

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    Messages:
    2,302
    Likes Received:
    41
    Location:
    cape town
    this is a very good point to bring up and needs to be taken into consideration when you do your water changes..

    +1
     
  6. OP
    wade

    wade

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2010
    Messages:
    171
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    well mine is currently just under 900mm...but yet seems very high now that it is sitting in position in the lounge...:wacko: Viewing is also comfortable when sitting in teh lounge chair though...

    Must go re-assess the situation after work!
     
  7. Riaan

    Riaan

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2012
    Messages:
    37
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Pretoria
    I have made mine +- 700 mm for the same reason as @tranzoid mentioned and I looked at the tank+stand combos you can get at a LFS and the one I saw are all about this height. My tank is very high 700 mm so that is about 1400 mm that I'll have to reach over to get my hand in the tank.... I'm setting it up now so I need to use a a small step ladder to reach down to the substrate. It boils down to what you want, what will make it pleasing on the eye and easy to do maintenance.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  8. TomK

    TomK

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2011
    Messages:
    1,552
    Likes Received:
    11
    Location:
    Klerksdorp
    Mine is at 530mm. Secondhand. Definitely too low and irritates me. Also, I added a sump after a year and find that there is not enough space for the sump. So I now sit with a too small sump with the danger of overflow if I do not plan and keep my water level 100% right. Especially now in winter the evaporation is a problem and I must top up every second day. Top up in itself is a mission, as the gap between tank and sump is so small.

    The view height you mention is also making sense. I will keep it in mind for my next build. Thanks for bringing it up.
     
  9. OP
    wade

    wade

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2010
    Messages:
    171
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    Also something to consider is where in the room you putting it and will it fit. I have a plasma tv stand that the tank will be standing next to and the high stand next to the low tv stand looks a bit wierd....

    Good thing is, if i decide to make it shorter, i now have reason to use the saws again:laugh: i love usnig electric saws and stuff!!
     
  10. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Put it where it looks comfortable to you, and practical for maintenance.
     
  11. Gert Combrink

    Gert Combrink

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2008
    Messages:
    1,786
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Protea Hights, Brackenfell, Cape Town.
    There are a few factors to consider about tank height.
    One is the persons height/agility to work in the tank and do tank maintenance - a short person keep this in mind.
    The tank must have easy aces and not obstructed.
    Keep in mind that it it is not that easy to make a stand higher, once you made it shorter!
    I suggest that you use a newspaper template of your tank (and prestic) to stick it against the wall, sit back on your couch and evaluate the position and height.
    Good luck with the right choice!
     
  12. mydummyname

    mydummyname Balala shark

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    Messages:
    2,302
    Likes Received:
    41
    Location:
    cape town
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  13. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    Depends how many other tank stands you want to build, I have found that the primary hight of 700mm work best so that you can use any spare space as a table and get a chair under it like a desk. Also if you want to put a tank under the main tank the you have a good amount of space left.

    Later Ferdie
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Stand height Forum Date
Wanted: Aquarium stand Wanted/Swop/Freebies Apr 9, 2026
4FT Tank and Stand General Equipment discussion Oct 2, 2025
Robust shrimp species that can withstand the attentions of tiger barbs etc? Community Tanks Apr 11, 2025
Wanted: Looking for 60p Low Iron with Stand Wanted/Swop/Freebies Aug 2, 2024
Wanted: Standard 4ft/120cm tank and stand Wanted/Swop/Freebies Dec 10, 2023
4ft Stand General Equipment discussion Oct 19, 2023
Wanted: 2FT tank stand Wanted/Swop/Freebies Apr 21, 2022

Share This Page