Springcleaning your tank....

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Cheetah, Aug 15, 2010.

  1. Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    Just how long can a tank go with exclusively water changes.... (before a springclean is required) meaning to remove the fish and scrub the gravel, wash out the tank etc.
     
  2. Guest




  3. TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    For My tanks, this is around 4 - 6 months. I have silica and is goes brown so fast. I usually put 50% of the water I took out, back in the tank and slowly add water every hour.

    I have seen a tank at a house without any water change or cleaning. Just a top up. The built in filter was stuffed too...

    You can only guess what that looked like. I did some rescuing and I now own that very same tank. It took me 4 hours to clean the muck of the front, inside etc. It even had ants living in the lighting system. Now it looks like new and a new home to my tetras.

    So yeah...the tank can go for as long as you leave it in that state....very bad Fish Keeping though.
     
  4. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    To date I have NEVER taken out the gravel and cleaned it as you are asking. Just good gravel vacuuming.
     
  5. SalmonAfrica

    SalmonAfrica Batfish

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    Messages:
    3,080
    Likes Received:
    471
    Location:
    Durban
    You should never, in this way, 'spring clean' your tank. The most I'll ever do is a 75% water change if I'm re-arranging the tank decor and lots of muck comes up from under the rocks and fouls up the tank.

    If you take the gravel out, you run the risk of re-starting your tank's cycle, which is a risk to the fish.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Springcleaning tank Forum Date
Newbie confession: overstocked my first tank on LFS advice — is a R5,500 180L upgrade worth it? Beginner Discussions Jul 12, 2026
100L tank needed General Discussions Jun 15, 2026
Tank builders General Discussions Jan 26, 2026
Disease in a planted tank. Planted Tanks Dec 28, 2025
Tankmates for tiretrack eel? Species Tanks Dec 16, 2025
90cm x 60cm x 45cm opti white tank (10mm) General Equipment discussion Oct 26, 2025
Thinking of starting first malawi tank Cichlids Oct 24, 2025

Share This Page