Spawn of ram

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by freerider, Jan 6, 2011.

  1. freerider

    freerider

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    102
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Darklands - CPT
    Earlier this week I posted a thread about the new German bread rams that I bought on Sunday and one of the females having paired off with one of my Malaysian bread rams, the 2 that are below in the pic.

    [​IMG]

    Yesterday I had the pleasure of watching her lay her eggs and him fertilising them on each pass. Its actually the first time I've watched this and I was truly amazed at how gentle and precise she was about the placement of the eggs.

    The male is mostly guarding the eggs with the female in close proximity, they are both fighting off intruders quite vigorously, and have had some pretty spectacular jaw locking run-ins with one of my male A.Agassizii's.

    This morning it still looks like 100% of the eggs remain with the male keeping very close watch over them. I'm very surprised by this actually, the male is of the Malaysian strain, so I naturally expected that he would make a poor example of what a father should be.

    Here the 2 are with the eggs

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  2. Guest




  3. Marco

    Marco Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    May 24, 2010
    Messages:
    2,015
    Likes Received:
    287
    Location:
    Waverley Pretoria
    Congrats freerider!

    Watching the whole spawning ritual never seizes to amaze! Nature is truly amazing. Hope they hatch and make it!

    Rgds,
    Marco
     
  4. OP
    freerider

    freerider

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    102
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Darklands - CPT
    I have my doubts about this lot making it very far to be quite honest, they are housed in quite an active community tank with the following house mates:

    cherry barbs
    harlequin rasboras
    bristle noses
    a.agassizii's
    bronze cories
    more rams

    The plan is to re-locate this pair to their own tank once it has stabilized and I feel it is safe to do so.
     
  5. Go-Big

    Go-Big

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2010
    Messages:
    737
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    George
    Just freaking awsome!!!
     
  6. OP
    freerider

    freerider

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    102
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Darklands - CPT
    Well, rams and agassizii's in the same tank is not a good idea :) especially when the rams have eggs. The agassizii male was harassing the rams to no end, and hence the eggs are now eaten. I noticed last night though that the male seems to be trying his luck with 2 of the other females now.
     
  7. OP
    freerider

    freerider

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    102
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Darklands - CPT
    4 days later and there is another spawn. I would say around 60 eggs again.
     
  8. OP
    freerider

    freerider

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    102
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Darklands - CPT
  9. OP
    freerider

    freerider

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    102
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Darklands - CPT
    The pair that layed the eggs in the first pics have now been moved to their own "room" after eggs were eaten 4 times now.

    Lets see how they do in their own tank.
     
  10. A Bauer

    A Bauer Guest

    Good luck
     
  11. Donny

    Donny

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2009
    Messages:
    2,283
    Likes Received:
    22
    Location:
    Churchill Estate, Parow
    Congrats and Good Luck. Pls keep us posted with pic updates
     
  12. OP
    freerider

    freerider

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    102
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Darklands - CPT
    Further to moving the pair into their own tank, I noticed that they had a hell of a lot of eggs packed onto a rock in the tank on Saturday, and thought that the eggs had all been eaten when I looked on Sunday.

    Yesterday my brother was looking in the tank and noticed a moving mass of wrigglers on the sand at the back. Lets see how this plays out.
     
  13. tracyp

    tracyp Lotus

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1,619
    Likes Received:
    31
    Location:
    Stanford, Western Cape
    Wow! Wrigglers all over the show, it seems! Keep us posted! Good luck!
     
  14. OP
    freerider

    freerider

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    102
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Darklands - CPT
    Well the parents now have free swimming fry... lots of them!

    I cant believe how protective the father is though, when I put the turkey baster in the tank to direct some food at the fry, dad was attacking it much better.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Spawn Forum Date
Gold Laser Corys Spawning Breeding Dec 19, 2021
Jewel Cichlid: Spawning Breeding Apr 7, 2021
Angels spawning :) Breeding Nov 7, 2019
My First Spawn Breeding Sep 9, 2019
Paradise Gouramies spawned on day 2 Breeding Mar 20, 2017
German Blue Rams spawning? Breeding Mar 2, 2017
Some more spawning Breeding Feb 6, 2017

Share This Page