Snail Identification

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by DewaldC, May 18, 2012.

  1. DewaldC

    DewaldC Magikarp

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2012
    Messages:
    1,867
    Likes Received:
    28
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    Didn't buy these . Not sure if they came with the plants I bought ?


    DSC_0010.jpg


    Should kill it ?


    DSC_0010.jpg
     
  2. Guest




  3. Henk Hugo

    Henk Hugo

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2008
    Messages:
    4,135
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    common pond snails - kill it
     
  4. Mzungu

    Mzungu Threadfin Rainbow

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2011
    Messages:
    233
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Lymnaea- take it out, and to reiterate, kill it.
     
  5. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Kill....with vengeance...lol - just crush them and remove...or leave for your fish to munch...
     
  6. Zeiphex

    Zeiphex Axolotl

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2011
    Messages:
    440
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Stellenbosch
    Eek, personally I would just let them be as I hate to kill anything >.< I love loaches though, so have never had problems with snails breeding.
     
  7. Camcam

    Camcam

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2013
    Messages:
    81
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Durban
    i dnt knoe if this thread is closed but lets keep it going???

    i found these guys in the tank. any ideas? good or bad?
    DSC01247.jpgDSC01255.jpg

    DSC01247.jpg

    DSC01255.jpg
     
  8. nicolaas

    nicolaas

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2013
    Messages:
    832
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Just outside of Tzaneen
    @Camcam its best to kill them, they can over run your planted tank in now time.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  9. OP
    DewaldC

    DewaldC Magikarp

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2012
    Messages:
    1,867
    Likes Received:
    28
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    Snails are a good indicator of water quality.
    They also eat algae.


    http://www.planetinverts.com/snail_species.html

    Only happens when you are overfeeding your fish.:cool:
     
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  10. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
  11. Camcam

    Camcam

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2013
    Messages:
    81
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Durban
    looks like pond snail, thanks @DewaldC , ill leave them be for now, maybe a nice excuse for assassin snail :p
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  12. nicolaas

    nicolaas

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2013
    Messages:
    832
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Just outside of Tzaneen
    If there are ramshorn snails in a planted tank, you don't need to over feed for them to wreck havoc on you plants.
     
  13. johan008

    johan008

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2009
    Messages:
    685
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    JUKSKEI PARK - RANDBURG
    Can any one tell me how to get rid of ramshorn snails. I try to either crush them when i see them but cant always as they are on my plants and I try to vacuum them up when I do a waterchange. What can I do.
     
  14. Camcam

    Camcam

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2013
    Messages:
    81
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Durban
  15. Broder

    Broder

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,020
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    East London
    My tank has hundreds of snails in it, all bred in a few weeks since I introduced plants. They only seem to eat algae, so I don't see a problem at this stage. Are there long term issues?
     
  16. tracyp

    tracyp Lotus

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1,619
    Likes Received:
    31
    Location:
    Stanford, Western Cape
    @Camcam - that's a young ramshorn snail, not a pond snail.

    The snail question - snails can be helpful in the sense that they will eat leftover food and thus assist in keeping water quality good. The thing being they show absolutely no sign of restraint :embarrest:. And if you're into planted tanks, they will chomp on certain plants too. Personally, i tried the picking out manually approach, it never seemed to have much of an effect. I tried the lettuce leaf approach with very limited success. I really wouldn't have minded one or two wandering around, but it had reached epidemic proportions, and to my eye was really unnappealling.

    A friend and member who has now moved on from TASA suggested I invest in a group of zebra loaches (Botia striata). I waited patiently until they cropped up on the wholesalers list, then bought a group of six. I was advised that it would take them a while to begin controlling the teeming hordes... so I applied patience. That tank is now snail-free - very occasionally I spot a lone ranger somewhere, but thats quite allright with me! I then repeated the exercise with another group of three in a smaller aquarium, with exactly the same results.

    So, for me, that was a fabulous solution - add a small (and very endearing) predator and let nature deal with the situation. I'd like to add that the "men in striped pajamas" as they are affectionately known hereabouts should be kept in groups and not as single specimens. I have heard of people being successful with other loaches, but the results seem variable.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
    Broder likes this.
  17. Camcam

    Camcam

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2013
    Messages:
    81
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Durban
    @tracyp

    thanx for the ID , id love to get some zebra loaches but the tank is a bit small to accomodate a group, ill keep that idea in mind though, the only plants that have suffered are the hornwort, the other thick leaved plants seem fine, the snails are just chomping on what ever algae is in the tank.

    i did find this while searching "snail eating fish"---- http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/snailsandworms/a/killingsnals.htm
    which basically just metions some methods of snail control etc.
    hope it helps any one with these pesky lil critters
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  18. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    Thanks for the link.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Snail Identification Forum Date
Snail identification. General Discussions May 5, 2016
Wanted: Blue/Pink Ramshorn Snails Wanted/Swop/Freebies Dec 10, 2025
Wanted: Malaysian Trumpet Snails Wanted/Swop/Freebies Oct 23, 2025
Nerite snails, worth the hype? General Discussions Jun 30, 2025
Wanted: Bladder/Ramshorn Snails Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jun 6, 2025
Wanted: wanted 9 onion red nerite snails Wanted/Swop/Freebies May 21, 2025
Snail foot detached! Beginner Discussions Aug 23, 2024

Share This Page