Smoking and fish?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by TroyFish, Aug 1, 2010.

  1. TroyFish

    TroyFish

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2010
    Messages:
    1,717
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria east, Elardus Park
    Hey guys

    I know some people smoke that keep aquariums. What i want to know is if the
    aquarium is running an air pump, is this dangerous to your fish?

    My guess it more than likey is. Personally i am not allowed to in the house.
    What are the risks? is there a way to prevent it from entering the tank?

    What about other filters? Again any risks?

    And how many actually do this? If i may ask?

    Also, what other 'bad habbits' are hazardous to our tanks?

    P.S
    I think this is just general 'Must know' when keeping aqauriums!

    Thanks
     
  2. Guest




  3. Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    IMHO... nope!... smoking in the room with fish in the tanks cannot be harmfull to your fish (unless of course... you chuck the butts in the water... He He.)....

    Other bad habits???... Drinking yes... I saw guys drinking one night, so (innebriated)... they wondered what a drunk fish would look like so poured a some wine into the pub tank.... needless to say... all the fish died.
     
  4. shihr

    shihr Glosso

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2010
    Messages:
    1,838
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    JHB
    haha.. i dont think it'll harm ur fish.. ur room needs to be FULL of smoke that u cant even brethe till they can have a proper effect on ur fish..

    i thought alcohol was good 4 everything?:p
     
  5. Slojo

    Slojo

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2009
    Messages:
    2,115
    Likes Received:
    24
    My fish showed signs of Nicotine deficiency when i tried to stop smoking once.



    Seriously now,smoking in itself will not be harmfull to you fish but a cleaning agent's vapour like Mr.Min or similar can be very dangerous to fish.
     
  6. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
  7. OP
    TroyFish

    TroyFish

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2010
    Messages:
    1,717
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria east, Elardus Park
  8. schloshd1

    schloshd1 PissCatfish

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2010
    Messages:
    168
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Jozi
    That's a good question TroyFish. I've always wondered about suncream? I wear it every day but make sure that I dont put my hands/arms in my tanks until after I've showered and washed it off.
     
  9. shihr

    shihr Glosso

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2010
    Messages:
    1,838
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    JHB
    ya hand cream is very bad aparently..

    once my gf cleaned her tank with hand andy.. fish all died :p oh.. but this was when she was like 10 so thats kinda ok:p
     
  10. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    Of course smoking is bad for fish, if you die from lung cancer who's feeding the fish?
     
  11. squatty

    squatty

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2012
    Messages:
    139
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Amanzimtoti
    WOW I have this bad habbit of waking up old threads, after 12 years of smoking I gave up on th 1-Nov-2012 08h00, using some medication to help and some will power I'm looking fwd to the challenge. The BIG BIG bonus is the money that I'm saving can now be used to get myself a 4foot tank, very excited, and to be honest my fish actually helped and encouraged me, before smoking, I would first sit infront of the tank and watch the fish, after 30min I forgot to smoke,which gave me the idea that if I can keep my mind busy with other things around the house and my new hobby then I surely can beat this very bad habbit. Any other X-Smokers that have kicked the habbit?
     
  12. Hectorcl

    Hectorcl

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2012
    Messages:
    39
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Little falls
    @squatty I use to smoke a packet of camels a day for 15 years. Have not had a sig in 5 years and will never smoke again. The trick is to break the habit and also you need some sort of motivation... Like a new tank.. I bought a new car with my monthly smoke money and knew i couldn't afford both so had no choice but to quit. Also if you don't really want to quit don't bother trying. Any case good luck .

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  13. squatty

    squatty

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2012
    Messages:
    139
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Amanzimtoti
    If there is one thing I hate it is driving at night to buy sigs, so if there is no sigs you can't smoke anything. Must say after 2days my lungs feel fuller, appartly after 24hrs of not smoking your CO2 levels in your body halfed, scary. The meds I'm using is Campix, the only problem I have is the sleeplessness (spelling) that comes with it. Thxs for the tips and support, will keep in touch for any other tips.
     
  14. Pierré Schoonraad

    Pierré Schoonraad Rainbow Freak

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2012
    Messages:
    2,072
    Likes Received:
    700
    Location:
    Queenswood Pretoria
    Been 'clean for 2 years and 6 months. Never felt better. Never smelled better. If your mind is in it to quit it will work. Best of luck and hang in there'
     
  15. Ryno

    Ryno Kenaal baber

    Joined:
    May 19, 2012
    Messages:
    4,022
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Pretoria
    i used champix. it screws with your mind! got also the sleep problem and then got insane nightmares!
     
  16. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    All the best dude. I used Chamix very successfully. Just watch your own personality and mind on the stuff. Its a mind altering drug... and EVERYONE reacts differently. NO two people are the same on the drug. I pesonnaly loved the effects... I stopped stressing about work and when people came to me with problems... I told them to catch a bus because I dont care and Im not here to fix YOUR problems.

    The champix works great for the 3 months you on it... after that its pure will power. Your brain still remembers the craving. I sti get cravings when I smell a cig.
     
  17. squatty

    squatty

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2012
    Messages:
    139
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Amanzimtoti
    LOL, ja the weird dreams I can also second that. Thxs for the tips and support.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Smoking fish Forum Date
Effects of "smoking" on fish General Discussions Oct 3, 2009
Dr Says Deworm Your Fish Jungle Aquatics Jul 7, 2026
Your Betta Fish Has Seen Things. It's Time to Do Better Jungle Aquatics May 3, 2026
Looking for killifish General Fish Discussions Apr 21, 2026
Fish breeders Gauteng New members Apr 4, 2026
The secret to happy, stress-free pond fish. API Pond Stress Coat Jungle Aquatics Mar 25, 2026
Don't let your Fish stage a hunger strike! Jungle Aquatics Feb 27, 2026

Share This Page