Slippery slop... what’s next babies of no babies?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by natnat, Jun 28, 2012.

  1. natnat

    natnat

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2010
    Messages:
    132
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Cape Town City Bowl
    As some of you know I was lucky enough to end up with a magnificent pair of extremely productive Red spotted deacon. As a result I needed to expand and over the last 4 month got two more tanks where I am raising some of the babies. What I am realising now is that this is a slippery slope and that I need to decide if I stop breeding or continue and most probably end up getting more and more tanks. . Furthermore, the deacon pair (look at photos I posted under full tank shots section) reside in a 300litter jewel display tank in my living room. They dominate the tank and moving “furniture†around + in order not to disturb them the tank is not as clean as I would like it to be. To cut a long story short what I thinking to do is to “wrap up†my breeding operation. Move the two deacons into my large 500litter community tank in my office and convert the Jewel into a Malawi (possibly all male) display tank...

    Any thoughts??
     
  2. Guest




  3. OP
    natnat

    natnat

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2010
    Messages:
    132
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Cape Town City Bowl
    or maybe sell the deacon pair...?
     
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  4. DarylA

    DarylA

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2010
    Messages:
    502
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Kempton Park
    I saw your photos and you have a stunning pair of fish there!

    Personally, I would not want to dispose of them if they were mine. However, they are not mine and I wouldn't mind if they were, so how much would you ask?

    An Mbuna tank with a nice scape can look great. Instead of an all male tank, why don't you think of a single species tank? Something like Pseudotropheus Saulosi where you have one species but two different colours - stunning!
     
  5. DarylA

    DarylA

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2010
    Messages:
    502
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Kempton Park
    Have a look here http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=225098
     
  6. OP
    natnat

    natnat

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2010
    Messages:
    132
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Cape Town City Bowl
    Hey DarylA Thank you for your response, I am completely new to Malawi so any advice is welcome, the Pseudotropheus Saulosi link you sent is beautiful, are both male and female colourful? As for deacon no idea what’s the going price is but I can ask around and decide if its worth it. You welcome to make me an offer but more important is picking your brains for a Malawi setup
     
  7. DarylA

    DarylA

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2010
    Messages:
    502
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Kempton Park
    What size are your Deacons?

    The tank in the link houses only Saulosi. The dominant males are blue and the females are orange to yellow. Non dominant males are the same colour as the females.

    I kept Mbuna for years and you are welcome to pick my brain for help at the cost of your breeing pair! Only joking, I am more than willing to help so feel free to ask me via this thread or PM.
     
  8. OP
    natnat

    natnat

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2010
    Messages:
    132
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Cape Town City Bowl
    deacons are about 18cm got them as babies about 18 months ago. Will pick your brains soon! thank you
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Slippery slop what’s Forum Date
TL550 rocky slopes Members Systems May 28, 2019

Share This Page