Shopping for new tank.

Discussion in 'General Equipment discussion' started by SauRoN, Mar 20, 2012.

  1. SauRoN

    SauRoN

    Joined:
    May 7, 2009
    Messages:
    569
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Cape Town
    My wife is starting to hate my Jebo corner tank standing in the lounge, mostly because the cabinet is deteriorating slowly but surely due to the stupid lid design that lets water run down the sides.

    And my 1.2 metre Oscar tank is now getting a bit tight for the old fellow.

    So I plan to buy something new in the 1.5 - 1.8m range for the lounge and moving the corner tank to the garage for a "backup" and then migrating my Malawi's to the 1.2m where the Oscar lives now.

    Problem is that I'm not a big fan of plain tanks standing on plain frames. I love the pre-made comes with lights and all the trimmings kind of tanks, and as such I'm having a little difficulty finding them in Cape Town.

    I know of...

    Panorama Petshop (not a lot of stock in this size)
    Oceanson (yet to go there this weekend)
    Northern Aquatics (haven't been in a while)
    Aquavision - I think (new place in Brackenfell, seemed the best so far)

    Who am I missing on this list who normally stock these kinds of tanks?

    I see lots of Juwel on the online shops, but they seem crazy expensive and the standard filtration seems a little bit silly to me.

    *****

    And what are the odds of a planted tank with an Oscar, if I plant the tank a month in advance and have it root nicely? Probably just wasting my time.
     
  2. Guest




  3. sarf

    sarf

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2009
    Messages:
    677
    Likes Received:
    5
    Location:
    Cape town
    Large tanks with curved corners are a disaster waiting to happen..seen plenty that just pop for no reason..for less money you can build a custom tank with wrap around cabinet which will look better
     
  4. Singularity

    Singularity

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    Messages:
    892
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Potchefstroom
    what sarf said, and those all in one tanks, especially the bigger ones, have terrible lighting and filtration
     
  5. Henk Hugo

    Henk Hugo

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2008
    Messages:
    4,135
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Speak to Nico or Erick at Panorama - they have custom tanks made for you.
     
  6. OP
    SauRoN

    SauRoN

    Joined:
    May 7, 2009
    Messages:
    569
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Thanks guys, but you told me exactly what I didn't want to hear.

    I've never seen a custom tank look nearly as good as any of these pre-fabricated ones, unless you have huge chunks of change to spend.


    Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

    I know the curved corners are allegedly a problem, but then at the same time I've have a 1.2m bullet shaped tank for years now without any problems.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
     
  7. OP
    SauRoN

    SauRoN

    Joined:
    May 7, 2009
    Messages:
    569
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Personally I've found the lighting to be brilliant.

    But the in canopy filtering is kak, and like I said the Juwel option is a bit silly as well.

    The larger ones normally have sump or canisters.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
     
  8. Henk Hugo

    Henk Hugo

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2008
    Messages:
    4,135
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    I have seen many many many of these curved glass tanks go. If you want to take the risk then go for it.
     
  9. spider

    spider Guest

    new tanks

    I have had curved tanks for a long time with no problems. It was basically the H2O tanks that had the problem of giving . Try the lfs in diepriver. Also try and go with the Boyu or Heto brands.
     
  10. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    You can forget about a planted tank with a oscar in it. If you are going to keep the oscar you don't have to worry much about the lighting.
     
  11. OscaCT

    OscaCT

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2011
    Messages:
    637
    Likes Received:
    5
    Location:
    Cape Town

    Have a look here: http://capetown-westerncape.gumtree...lug-Play-400litre-Aquarium-W0QQAdIdZ357773164

    They make very good looking custom tanks
     
  12. OscaCT

    OscaCT

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2011
    Messages:
    637
    Likes Received:
    5
    Location:
    Cape Town
  13. OP
    SauRoN

    SauRoN

    Joined:
    May 7, 2009
    Messages:
    569
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Not looking at a curved tank, and actually haven't seen any in that size recently.

    Saw a 1.5 metre Boyu today with a nice cabinet, taller than usual tank and comes with lighting and not sure about the filtration but will probably go for a canister setup regardless.

    Only problem is that it's black, and the wife wants something lighter in the lounge.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
     
  14. OP
    SauRoN

    SauRoN

    Joined:
    May 7, 2009
    Messages:
    569
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Sam's? I do believe this new Aquatic Vision shop is a satellite branch of theirs, at least that's what I heard today.

    Never heard of Heto, will keep an eye.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
     
  15. Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hi SauRon,

    Did you manage to find something nice? did you contact Graham as per OscaCT's suggestion? I'm currently looking for a nice tank so am interested to know what you have found and where you found it... thanks!

    Regards,
    Candice
     
  16. oosie

    oosie Oosie

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2010
    Messages:
    170
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Polokwane (Pietersburg Limpopo)
    I have a Sun Sun tank, 400l ,(1,6) . with curved glass, build in rear filter with beautifull stand. Glass is 10mm thick. and no problems what so ever. I also have a 1000l (2m) Boyu tank, also with curved glass, glass 15mm thick but with a lot of extra supports..also no problem.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Shopping tank Forum Date
Shopping for New a Tank General Discussions Jan 30, 2014
Estimative index shopping list Planted Tanks Aug 17, 2021
Fish shopping in KK General Discussions Apr 30, 2017
FB: An Abandoned Bangkok Shopping Mall Hides a Fishy Secret New World shopping. Jungle Aquatics Oct 7, 2014
Broadacres Shopping Centre on fire General Discussions May 17, 2013
Shopping Day General Discussions Sep 9, 2012
Web Shopping The Planted Tank Jun 17, 2012

Share This Page