Shipping livestock from Jhb to Cape Town

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by AquaAddict, May 24, 2012.

  1. AquaAddict

    AquaAddict

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2011
    Messages:
    315
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Durbanville
    I'm looking for transport for a Pleco from Johannesburg to Cape Town. Tried CourierIT but they did not even respond to my request.

    If any of the Sponsors or Members are planning a shipment in the next month I would gladly contribute financially to the shipment and comply with whatever the requirements are.
    Its just 1 Pleco - about 10cm.

    Maybe there will be plenty of shipments just after the Expo? :hmmmm:

    Thx in advance!
     
  2. Guest




  3. wsteene

    wsteene

    Joined:
    May 11, 2011
    Messages:
    727
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    @AquaAddict, mybe you can try and contact @Moolis, know he is doing shipments from time to time down to the Cape
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  4. Jack Stone

    Jack Stone Stone Aquaics

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2011
    Messages:
    926
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hi @AquaAddict,

    Pick a nice day weather wise, bag the fish as pet stores do (as much oxygen as possible, ie. little water), put the bag in a styrofoam box and take them to the SAA Cargo section at the airport, they're called "Express Air Services" for some reason - they give priority to livestock, costs around R120 for a small box of a kilogram or two.

    Google Express Air Services and visit their website.
    Contact them and find out when they fly Jhb to Cpt and how long before the flight you need to bring the fish in.

    Simple as that.
    Let me know if you want any more information.

    Cheers,
    Enjoy!
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. Arrow Boy

    Arrow Boy

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Messages:
    1,220
    Likes Received:
    206
    Location:
    Gauteng
    Hello, @Jack Stone and anyone else that has experience in this area. Is this method still valid for shipping live stock through South Africa and maybe any new methods\tips?
     
  6. martin91

    martin91

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2018
    Messages:
    47
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Boksburg
    EXPO???
     
  7. hails

    hails Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2013
    Messages:
    112
    Likes Received:
    19
    It has been some years since the first expo took place. Hopefully we can arrange another in the next year or two.
     
    Ebi Omer likes this.
  8. BoelderBeestie

    BoelderBeestie

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2016
    Messages:
    2,316
    Likes Received:
    1,072
    Location:
    Cape Town
    I liked Bidair. Instant friendly service and they specialize in pet transport. Look for the door that says pet lounge. SAA made me stand in line for an hour and there was only 2 other people in front of me. And after all that they said they couldn't help me.

    bidair.jpg
     
    AmithS likes this.
  9. hails

    hails Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2013
    Messages:
    112
    Likes Received:
    19
    Bidair is very good. Just mark it as same day express and fragile and you're good to go. They usually put flight times on their website every day.
     
  10. Arrow Boy

    Arrow Boy

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Messages:
    1,220
    Likes Received:
    206
    Location:
    Gauteng
    Thanks - if you don't mind me asking the estimated costs... just to get an idea
     
  11. hails

    hails Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2013
    Messages:
    112
    Likes Received:
    19
    I usually send a box up to a kg for about R160-ish but it doesn't go up too much if it weighs more
     
    AmithS likes this.
  12. Nick

    Nick Nick

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2010
    Messages:
    308
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Cape Town
    I ordered fish from JHB to CPT. I used the CourierGuy. Go to XOC if you don't have an account with the CourierGuy
     
  13. Arrow Boy

    Arrow Boy

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Messages:
    1,220
    Likes Received:
    206
    Location:
    Gauteng
    You the second person to tell me about CourierGuy.

    When I checked with them this is the response I got, "Please be advise we have no facilities as we do not send life stock"
     
  14. BoelderBeestie

    BoelderBeestie

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2016
    Messages:
    2,316
    Likes Received:
    1,072
    Location:
    Cape Town
    The branch here has a dedicated animal drop off. It makes it so easy. Rather phone them for flight times, the site wasn't accurate when I flew them. I sent 12 fish to durbs for R590. About 20kg iirc.
     
  15. Arrow Boy

    Arrow Boy

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Messages:
    1,220
    Likes Received:
    206
    Location:
    Gauteng
    Thanks @BoelderBeestie I'm assuming these were big / adult fish that needed lots of water making up the 20kg?
     
  16. BoelderBeestie

    BoelderBeestie

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2016
    Messages:
    2,316
    Likes Received:
    1,072
    Location:
    Cape Town
    No all juvies but all the bags add up. You are actually shipping water haha.
     
    Innocent159 likes this.
  17. Super Sywurm

    Super Sywurm

    Joined:
    May 14, 2017
    Messages:
    642
    Likes Received:
    133
    Location:
    Kimberley, Northern Cape
    I think they deliver fish from JHB to Kimberley. I inquired with them I while ago and they were able to assist me, although I did not make use of their services.
     
  18. Dale-CT

    Dale-CT

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2017
    Messages:
    84
    Likes Received:
    22
    Location:
    Southern Suburbs, Cape Town
    I also want to get some fish and possibly shrimp from JHB to CT and had thought of taking them myself as hand luggage, but not sure if this is a good idea. I recently took some assassin snails with me on a flight, but they are probably hardier than most fish!

    So, if using BidAir, how do you pack the fish in order to keep temperature fairly constant?
    Also, I guess they will be in the bag for at least 6 hours - is this cause for concern?
     
  19. BoelderBeestie

    BoelderBeestie

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2016
    Messages:
    2,316
    Likes Received:
    1,072
    Location:
    Cape Town
    We shipped in summer so temp wasn't an issue. You pack them in bags(double up on the bags) and a styrofoam box like Jack explained. You worry your ass off, that's the only concern haha. They travel fine and it's only about 6 hours of worry.
     
  20. Arrow Boy

    Arrow Boy

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Messages:
    1,220
    Likes Received:
    206
    Location:
    Gauteng
    Lol only 6 hours of worry - wishing we had a emoticon with the tears from laughing so hard :lol:
     
  21. Christiaan Duvenage

    Christiaan Duvenage

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2016
    Messages:
    916
    Likes Received:
    421
    Location:
    PTA east
    @Zebra Pleco More emoticons(like on what's app)....mmmm good idea.
     
    Zebra Pleco likes this.

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Shipping livestock Cape Forum Date
Shipping companies for live animals Other Pets Nov 16, 2022
Shipping fish Advanced Topics Jan 4, 2020
Shipping tank? General Discussions Aug 25, 2019
Shipping Fish General Discussions Apr 21, 2019
Shipping fish between provinces General Discussions Nov 8, 2018
Shipping to SA General Discussions Apr 16, 2018
Buce - Shipping promotion Pet Stop Mar 7, 2017

Share This Page