Shipping Frontosa

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Jay, Apr 11, 2013.

  1. Jay

    Jay

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2012
    Messages:
    471
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Boksburg Gauteng
    Hi guys

    I realise there is a sticky thread for this topic but wasnt sure if i was to post there , asking a question so i decided (hopefully correctly) to make a new thread

    I have recently found some Kigoma Frontosas (8-9cm) that i want to ship from Kenilworth, Capetown to JHB. The person who i may be getting them from has never shipped fish before.Can anyone help me here with advice on the shipping and can ship for me. ie get the fish from him and ship them safely to OR tambo? i realise the fish (especially frontosas) get stressed so id like to also know if it is safe for them to be shipped.

    Thanks in advance. Jason
     
  2. Guest




  3. Jack Stone

    Jack Stone Stone Aquaics

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2011
    Messages:
    926
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Howzit Jay,

    I'm doing a bit more research but it seems pretty simple.
    Have sent you a PM.

    Anybody know of any pitfalls with larger fish?
    8-9cm Fronts surely shouldn't present major problems?

    Cheers,
    Jack
     
  4. OP
    Jay

    Jay

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2012
    Messages:
    471
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Boksburg Gauteng
    Thanks @Jack Stone i really appreciate the help.

    im also sure they will be fine, as long as theyre 'packaged' correctly(like im sure they will be)
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. Rowland

    Rowland

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2008
    Messages:
    186
    Likes Received:
    1
    Hi Guys

    I shipped 25 boxes to Australia some years back with few losses.
    The rule I followed was as follows.
    Reduce feeding for up to 2 weeks prior to shipping, purging the fish totally for the last two days to minimise fouling.
    For the larger species, I used a fish anaesthetic at very low doses, making a stock solution and adding it to the bags.
    Important that the person receiving the fish aclimatises them very slowly.
     
  6. Jack Stone

    Jack Stone Stone Aquaics

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2011
    Messages:
    926
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hi @Rowland

    Thanks for the info man!
    I am a bit sceptical of the anaesthetics and more in favour of optimal water quality and enough oxygen in the bags.

    Do you think the anaesthetic helped? What length would you say the larger species were?
    Would you recommend it for a 10 hour trip from tank to tank?

    How long did that trip to Australia take?
    What anaesthetic did you use? If you can recall.

    Nothing wrong with a slow drip acclimatisation if the weather if fine!
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  7. Rowland

    Rowland

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2008
    Messages:
    186
    Likes Received:
    1
    I have also shipped malawis and tangs around the country, from juvies to adults. You are spot on with your optimal water quality, and therefore purging is a must!
    One third, or less if possible water, and the rest oxygen. I have received fish with the dorsal fin touching the surface.
    The Aus thing took close to 48 hours from bagging to opening...quite an ordeal.
    You should be fine without anaesthetic. I forget the name....New Zealand product...smelt like liquorice.
    If possible, and I know it adds to the cost, but if its only fronts, try have them individually bagged.
     
  8. Jack Stone

    Jack Stone Stone Aquaics

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2011
    Messages:
    926
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Cool Rowland!

    Definitely agree on the one fish per bag thing for larger fish and having as little water as possible while keeping it as clean as possible, and bagging with emphasis on oxygen instead of fluctuations in water parameters. What about the size (foot-print if you will) of the bags? Do you want the fish to be able to turn around and what not like the guppies in pet store bags?

    Eish, ja! 48 hours can be very bloody stressful I guess.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Shipping Frontosa Forum Date
Shipping companies for live animals Other Pets Nov 16, 2022
Shipping fish Advanced Topics Jan 4, 2020
Shipping tank? General Discussions Aug 25, 2019
Shipping Fish General Discussions Apr 21, 2019
Shipping fish between provinces General Discussions Nov 8, 2018
Shipping to SA General Discussions Apr 16, 2018
Buce - Shipping promotion Pet Stop Mar 7, 2017

Share This Page