Score score score!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by matteffect, Sep 3, 2012.

  1. OP
    matteffect

    matteffect

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2011
    Messages:
    461
    Likes Received:
    20
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    Second 2.jpgSecond.jpg

    Some more planning on where the things will be.

    Second 2.jpg

    Second.jpg
     
  2. Guest




  3. Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    And if your lights are just below your filter then it can help with heating - you just don't want it too hot.
     
  4. OP
    matteffect

    matteffect

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2011
    Messages:
    461
    Likes Received:
    20
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    Hey! Awesome!

    Thinking about it now the lights will be placed horizontally away from the filter and not vertically for direct contact... Will it still heat it a little?
     
  5. Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    The lights will be parallel to the filter box? Then if you don't have reflectors in between then it will heat it.
     
  6. OP
    matteffect

    matteffect

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2011
    Messages:
    461
    Likes Received:
    20
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    Awesome! You guys think the idea will work?
     
  7. Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    The filter in the hood shoudl work.

    Just keep in mind that in Summer you won't want the lights to heat the water.
     
  8. OP
    matteffect

    matteffect

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2011
    Messages:
    461
    Likes Received:
    20
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    Ya, I don't want constantly changing water..

    Thanks for the input guys. Really appreciated.
     
  9. OP
    matteffect

    matteffect

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2011
    Messages:
    461
    Likes Received:
    20
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    Hey guys! Really excited!

    Alright I don't know how to start - well maybe I think this in one of the most innovative and "clever" ideas on filtration in a fish tank I have ever had...

    Ok.. My idea

    I recently said I was going to make a canopy filter but after checking out builders and plastic land I couldn't find any tupperware/plastic container that would fit my canopy size. After being upset and watching my goldfish in the pond a "brain blast" hit me. I could take my internal/ big/ bulky looking filter and exchange it for my small pond pump. So I did and now the internal filter is in the pond running like a charm and 2x the flow rate of the smaller pump ( internal is 1850 l/h which will suite the goldies better ). So then I see the old pond pump ( 950 l/h ) has 4 suction cups.. Starting to get excited... Then I see it has built in connections for pipes.. I run into the house, grab a coke bottle and fit the piping onto the opening of the coke bottle. Fits perfectly. I punch some holes on the other end of the coke bottle and give it a test run. * Oberservations - Water rushes in and rushes out the holes * =D

    So i'm thinking - use the pump and stick it onto the glass with the suction cups. Get connections and piping to make it look neat. Create a space in the canopy for the coke bottle ( so every time I open the lid I don't see a coke bottle ). Fill the bottle with media and bio stuff. Drill a near hole for the escape water to run through. Attach piping, do some drilling and VOILA! A DIY ( pretty basic ) filter..

    Lets me know what you think and give me tips.
     
  10. OP
    matteffect

    matteffect

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2011
    Messages:
    461
    Likes Received:
    20
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    Just checked to see if the coke bottle fits in the canopy and it fits perfectly!
     
  11. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Sounding very interesting...
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Score score score Forum Date
scored this setup for 100 bux!! :D General Discussions Oct 9, 2012
Scored nicely! General Discussions Sep 4, 2012

Share This Page